Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What are your 2011 basketball resolutions? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203288)

carpevicis 12-31-2010 08:12 PM

What are your 2011 basketball resolutions?

And did you get everything you wanted to get done in 2010?

For me, have to touch rim this year. And get the pull up jumper down.

Today, I finally broke the 300 pound mark with a 305lb deadlift. Feels so good

Birmingham1955 12-31-2010 08:16 PM

Re: What are your 2011 basketball resolutions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
And did you get everything you wanted to get done in 2010?

For me, have to touch rim this year. And get the pull up jumper down.

Today, I finally broke the 300 pound mark with a 305lb deadlift. Feels so good

Are you going to play AAU ball, how has your progress been on your game since tryouts

SourPatchKids 12-31-2010 09:11 PM

Get quicker on my feet, work on my post game.

DWRIGHTWAY 12-31-2010 10:58 PM

better footwork

carpevicis 01-01-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
Are you going to play AAU ball, how has your progress been on your game since tryouts

Yeah I definitely am. I've gotten much stronger and faster since tryouts. My defense has improved, but my shot needs to be changed. I still have a couple months before the spring season starts so I'm going to tweak it a little.

Swaggin916 01-01-2011 06:00 AM

same as last year... get healthy.

fml :lol

bobbyflay 01-01-2011 06:31 AM

DAM 305 POUNDS? I feel so weak lol. I'm only doing around 50 pounds on each side. It makes me kind of less hopeful, because I pretty much trained in plyometrics without even knowing it but didn't train in strength training. I thought that it would get me enough of a foundation to dunk by this summer but dam even 300 pounds is not enough?

Some of my resolutions are to just dunk on a 10'0 rim(losing hope because I watched some videos on dunking and some people are born with the capability to dunk and the rest aren't and now that story you had), shoot college 3's 70% in practice and 50% nba 3's, become maybe about 25% better in my left hand then my right hand from 2010, and improve my right hand like 50% in finishing in traffic and maybe shooting pullup 8 feet left hand, and learn how to play the game with set rules and plays(might join a program this summer).

Grafbag 01-01-2011 10:25 AM

1. Dunk
2. Improve agility
3. Improve defense
4. Overall better shooting, especially focusing more on 3 pointers.

carpevicis 01-01-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyflay
DAM 305 POUNDS? I feel so weak lol. I'm only doing around 50 pounds on each side. It makes me kind of less hopeful, because I pretty much trained in plyometrics without even knowing it but didn't train in strength training. I thought that it would get me enough of a foundation to dunk by this summer but dam even 300 pounds is not enough?

Some of my resolutions are to just dunk on a 10'0 rim(losing hope because I watched some videos on dunking and some people are born with the capability to dunk and the rest aren't and now that story you had), shoot college 3's 70% in practice and 50% nba 3's, become maybe about 25% better in my left hand then my right hand from 2010, and improve my right hand like 50% in finishing in traffic and maybe shooting pullup 8 feet left hand, and learn how to play the game with set rules and plays(might join a program this summer).

No, no man you're getting it all wrong. I'm not training to jump higher, I'm training to get stronger. The jumping higher is a side effect, but for the most part, I'm making very little gains in terms of actual jumping. Also factor in that I'm very short. My arms are very, very short - my standing reach is 6'11". So in order to touch rim, I'd need Kobe's vertical (37 inches).

How much you can lift has no direct correlation to how high you can jump. I mean it does in a way, but just personally. I might be able to lift more than other high school athletes, but there are many of them that can dunk and I can't. 300 pounds isn't a set guideline for touching rim. There are none - it varies by player.

Keep with it. The deadlift is a really good lift because you develop total body strength. A couple months ago I couldn't do 135.

And you should know that it's ideal to develop a base level of strength before doing plyometrics. Plyos are very stressing on the body and without that level of strength, you'll most likely injure yourself or not get maximal results. Most people go by 1.5x bodyweight squat as the strength level. If you can't do this, you should start a heavy lifting program asap, as it will help your game much more than having good jumping ability.

DWRIGHTWAY 01-01-2011 11:31 AM

dunks

bobbyflay 01-01-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carpevicis
No, no man you're getting it all wrong. I'm not training to jump higher, I'm training to get stronger. The jumping higher is a side effect, but for the most part, I'm making very little gains in terms of actual jumping. Also factor in that I'm very short. My arms are very, very short - my standing reach is 6'11". So in order to touch rim, I'd need Kobe's vertical (37 inches).

How much you can lift has no direct correlation to how high you can jump. I mean it does in a way, but just personally. I might be able to lift more than other high school athletes, but there are many of them that can dunk and I can't. 300 pounds isn't a set guideline for touching rim. There are none - it varies by player.

Keep with it. The deadlift is a really good lift because you develop total body strength. A couple months ago I couldn't do 135.

And you should know that it's ideal to develop a base level of strength before doing plyometrics. Plyos are very stressing on the body and without that level of strength, you'll most likely injure yourself or not get maximal results. Most people go by 1.5x bodyweight squat as the strength level. If you can't do this, you should start a heavy lifting program asap, as it will help your game much more than having good jumping ability.

Oh, I see what you mean now. I probably overacted, because a month a go I just started looking up the ideas of plyometrics and physics of jumping. They were mostly all positive about gaining vertical jump inches, so I started doing sort of a variation of the vertical jump bible(added in upper body workout/added full body exercises in exchange for taking some out). Even though the information was real, I later found out more that the human body just has limits and yeah..

Yeah, I'm starting to develop my foundation of strength(hopefully in 2 months or so). I guess only hard work and time will tell in the following year. I got new motivation from this and others of trying to ask for motivation to train outside in the winter. I realized that I wasn't dedicated enough to train outside in 40 degrees while the other guys were training in 30 degrees. I know it's time to get serious now. Let's do this!

RandyOrton 01-01-2011 06:09 PM

improve my jumper some more

Nova6 01-01-2011 06:49 PM

get better at driving

DWRIGHTWAY 01-01-2011 07:25 PM

i need to work on my speed

MannyO 01-02-2011 01:18 AM

1. maximize my potential
2. Increase my focus
3. Become a leader
4. Get my team some wins
5. Start putting up big scoring nights