Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   PG options for next season (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178146)

gutterballer733 06-16-2010 04:58 AM

PG options for next season
 
The Cats might be in the market for a new point guard next season, sooo here are some of their options....

1. Re-sign Raymond Felton - He made $5.5 mil last season, and has not done anything to warrant a raise. I'm assuming we could get him for around that same number again (unless another team makes a hard play for him), but the real question is do we lock him up long term and roll with him as point guard for the next few years, or go for a one or two year deal?

2. Sign a FA point guard - Slim pickings at pg this year as far as impact players go. Nate Robinson, Anthony Carter, Will Bynum, CJ Watson, Earl Watson, Steve Blake, Jordan Farmar, Derek Fisher, Carlos Arroyo, Luke Ridenour, Chris Duhon, Earl Boykins, Anthony Johnson, Garrett Temple are the only real options out there. Subtract Derek Fisher(will likely only play for LA or retire) and Nate Robinson(will likely demand more than he is worth,and more than we have), and the options are even more limited.

3. Do nothing - This option would be the most cost effective(saving the $5-6 mil it would take to sign Felton or a FA). It also automatically slides DJ Augustin into the starting pg role. Is he ready yet? will be every be ready? a year as an uncontested starter would surely clear this up, but if the answer is no...uh oh. It would also leave no one to be the back up pg. We would likely have to sign a d-league or undrafted player to fill the role. To be totally off the wall, we could re-sign someone like Larry Hughes and let him slide over and run point, or let S-JAX just bring the ball up(what the hell, why not?)

4. Trade for a point guard - This is a crapshoot as to who we should trade for and who we would trade to get them. Tyson Chandler(assuming he exercises his player option) would be an attractive expiring contract to package with someone in a deal.

What do you think?

~spectre~ 06-16-2010 07:25 AM

Re: PG options for next season
 
I think we're going to trade for a PG. I don't think this is a knock on Felton so much as we just don't have the space to sign him. Granted if he'd stepped up in the playoffs it would be a much harder decision for the FO...but it seems they're convinced they can "upgrade the position" thru trade.

Couple of rumors:

1) Boris/Gana for Hedo/Jack

2) DJ/Nazr for Mo Williams.

Are they upgrades? Mo probably is, tho we'd probably be swapping defense for offense. Jack IMO is pretty comparable to Felton if he can stay motivated. Probably a slightly weaker defender/facilitator but a stronger shooter.

onewickedlady 06-16-2010 02:37 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~spectre~
I think we're going to trade for a PG. I don't think this is a knock on Felton so much as we just don't have the space to sign him. Granted if he'd stepped up in the playoffs it would be a much harder decision for the FO...but it seems they're convinced they can "upgrade the position" thru trade.

Couple of rumors:

1) Boris/Gana for Hedo/Jack

2) DJ/Nazr for Mo Williams.

Are they upgrades? Mo probably is, tho we'd probably be swapping defense for offense. Jack IMO is pretty comparable to Felton if he can stay motivated. Probably a slightly weaker defender/facilitator but a stronger shooter.


You all bring up some interesting questions. I'm not sure that any other team in their right mind would offer Felton more than 6M. He'll probably have to accept an offer like that if he wants to continue to be employed. Now if we re-sign him and he plays well (which he will) then he'll be attractive to another team as far as a trade of some sort.

I can't see Turkoglu as a Bobcat. How motivated would he be to play well and consistently for us. I mean, when he's good he's really good and when he's in the doldrums he sucks. Similar to Diaw. But realistically we'd get more out of Hedo than we ever will get out of Boris.

~spectre~ 06-16-2010 05:03 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
The pluses in the Toronto trade is getting Jack (softening the loss of Felton) and getting rid of Gana's contract...which LB said just the other day was untradable.

Thing is Hedo's deal is lots longer and he'll be like 36 before it's done. I'm also concerned with the lack of depth it'd leave us at the 4.

I'm not against Darius Miles...but I don't want him being 1st off the bench behind Tyrus.

onewickedlady 06-16-2010 06:58 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~spectre~
The pluses in the Toronto trade is getting Jack (softening the loss of Felton) and getting rid of Gana's contract...which LB said just the other day was untradable.

Thing is Hedo's deal is lots longer and he'll be like 36 before it's done. I'm also concerned with the lack of depth it'd leave us at the 4.

I'm not against Darius Miles...but I don't want him being 1st off the bench behind Tyrus.


Okay now I'm confused. Jack who(m) from Toronto? Yes almost anything to get rid of Diop's contract but Hedo seems to be temperamental. I realize that I get too emotionally involved sometimes so I can't always be objective but I just don't like Turkoglu. But would he be good for our team? Wiser minds than mine must comment. :confused:

Brakas 06-16-2010 08:38 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
I would like to see us go after Blake. Hard worker and is a good floor general. Not that athletic, but steady and a pretty good shooter. I don't think DJ is ready.

gutterballer733 06-16-2010 08:45 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Okay now I'm confused. Jack who(m) from Toronto? Yes almost anything to get rid of Diop's contract but Hedo seems to be temperamental. I realize that I get too emotionally involved sometimes so I can't always be objective but I just don't like Turkoglu. But would he be good for our team? Wiser minds than mine must comment. :confused:


He means Jarrett Jack from Toronto. I personally hate that deal though. I wouldn't mind snagging Jack, but getting Hedo simply would not be practical. He is coming off his worst season in 6 years (only 11.3ppg) and is under contract until 2013/14, when he will be 35 years old. His monster contract alone basically rules him out. Also he would be coming off the bench, not starting. Toronto would be robbing us if we did this.

Another guy I forgot to add to the FA list is Shaun Livingston. He would be very cheap and still might have enough potential left in him to become a solid player in the league. Just a thought.

~spectre~ 06-16-2010 11:24 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Yeah, Jarrett Jack.

I don't like the deal either, but it seems the FO is bent on not going over the tax...and these are the rumors coming out. I'm probably one of the last fans who is loathe to give up Boris and I'm not at all confident Tyrus can start/log heavy minutes.

And I do not like Hedo...at all.

The one we haven't heard anything at all on is TJ Ford...which scares me. Personally I'd rather go into the season with DJ starting instead, and I also don't think he's near to being ready.

acidbasesalt 06-17-2010 03:57 AM

Re: PG options for next season
 
There was a rumor saying Chandler might terminate his contract.

I'm so anxious to see us saving 13 million dollars. :lol :lol :lol

Perhaps we can sign Iverson, cus I never believed he really wanted to quit basketball yet.

play Iverson 20 min. a game and Augustin 24 min. a game will be a good idea.

And I believe Iverson knows that he won't be a starter anymore.

rufuspaul 06-17-2010 10:54 AM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Is Jeff McInnis available?
































I'm Kidding!!!

gutterballer733 06-17-2010 03:19 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
There was a rumor saying Chandler might terminate his contract.

I'm so anxious to see us saving 13 million dollars. :lol :lol :lol

Perhaps we can sign Iverson, cus I never believed he really wanted to quit basketball yet.

play Iverson 20 min. a game and Augustin 24 min. a game will be a good idea.

And I believe Iverson knows that he won't be a starter anymore.


If Chandler terminates, we should rejoice. We could make some moves and maybe move up and take over Atlanta's position in the 3/4 best spot in the east. However....I highly doubt he leaves over 12 mil on the table (he cant be THAT dumb can he?). I don't see Iverson meshing with us well at all. There wouldn't be enough shots to go around between him and S-JAX.

Personally I think I would let felton go and sign a lower level FA pg. Maybe sergio rodriguez or luke ridehour and sign a 3pt shooter like roger mason jr to stretch defenses.

And I would kill myself if Jeff McInnis came anywhere near the Bobcats ever agian

Timmeh 06-17-2010 05:03 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Maybe if we can promise to trade Chandler if he picks up his option (assuming he wants out), let Felton go and BAM! 18 million is saved right there. Then, we can go after Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar, Nate Robinson, or Carlos Arroyo, then sign a big man like Boozer (I'm shaky on that), Ilgauskas (if he's a FA), or some other big that doesn't suck ass on the court.

idizzle 06-18-2010 11:22 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
How about Larry Hughes.

He's capable of playing PG.


JUST KIDDING

Jasper 06-18-2010 11:34 PM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Brown might still want to run with Felton for some minutes , and pull in a Ridnour.

But I wonder if Minny would let Sessions go , he may fit better in the Charlotte offense ?

QuebecBaller 06-19-2010 12:44 AM

Re: PG options for next season
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Is Jeff McInnis available?



McInnis or Brevin Knight. The true Bobcats PG :rockon: :rockon:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy