Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   GM: Owners ready to spend (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43687)

Bobcat4Ever 06-01-2007 10:25 AM

GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Quote:

BOBCATS' NEW EXEC DISCUSSES BRYANT
GM: Owners ready to spend
Higgins says he has mandate, resources
RICK BONNELL
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. --
New Charlotte Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins said he has the resources and mandate to pursue whatever would help the team.

Including a trade for Kobe Bryant.

"In this business, you go down every road, every dark alley. You shake every bush you can," Higgins said Thursday, when asked about investigating Bryant's availability.

"I don't know what's going on there, obviously," he said of the rift between Bryant and the Lakers, "(But) we're not afraid to go down that road."

He believes Bobcats ownership is prepared to spend for a star, and Bryant is all that with a star's salary: $88.6 million over the next four seasons. Bryant keeps changing signals, but late Wednesday he told the Los Angeles Times he still wants to be traded by the Lakers.

Higgins arrives from the Golden State Warriors, where he had the same title and similar responsibilities. He'll report to managing partner Michael Jordan and executive vice president Bernie Bickerstaff. Higgins said if a transaction -- a trade or a free-agent signing -- can get the Bobcats to the next level, then he's "been assured by ownership we can do that."

Higgins is seemingly making a lateral move -- he was No. 2 behind executive vice president Chris Mullin at Golden State -- but he said he's attracted to the Bobcats' salary-cap flexibility and young roster.

Also, he'll be working for one of his best friends; he and Jordan played together several years with the Chicago Bulls. Higgins befriended him when Jordan was a rookie and the two stayed close.

"He was almost like a roommate," Higgins said. "I owned a townhome, and he bought a townhome about 50 yards away."

He worked for Jordan as assistant general manager, when Jordan ran player-personnel for the Washington Wizards.

Higgins addressed other topics during a teleconference with Charlotte media:

He thinks the team needs more big men, particularly with the experience to play right away.

He's reluctant to deal any of the team's young core.

He acknowledged the Bobcats are talking employment with Coastal Carolina coach (and longtime friend of Jordan) Buzz Peterson. "We look forward to having something done real soon," Higgins said.

Notes

Projected lottery picks who expect to work out for the Bobcats include Corey Brewer and Joakim Noah of Florida, Al Thornton of Florida State and Jeff Green of Georgetown. Charlotte has the No. 8 overall pick, and the 22nd pick, from Toronto.

Surprisingly, Texas A&M point guard Acie Law and Washington center Spencer Hawes don't expect to audition for Charlotte. They indicated the Bobcats were already deep at point guard and center, which isn't necessarily true.

http://www.charlotte.com/bobcats/story/143248.html

Moose 06-24-2007 12:08 AM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Finally, i wonder which player they're going to open their wallets first for......Vince?

onewickedlady 06-24-2007 02:21 AM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Kobe is a jerk. I wouldn't spend one penny on him--I don't care how great of a player he is. Just think how many great players we could get for 88 million dollars...

Bobcat4Ever 06-24-2007 09:34 AM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Kobe is a jerk. I wouldn't spend one penny on him--I don't care how great of a player he is. Just think how many great players we could get for 88 million dollars...


Hey now. Kobe has taken so much BS from the Lakers it isn't even funny. Yeh he shouldn't have said some of the things he said but he does sort of have a right. He was made a promise that was never fulfilled and that really hurt him. He is not a jerk, he is just sick and tired of losing.

TarHeelBorn 06-24-2007 01:26 PM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
In case you all forget, the Hornets drafted Kobe back in the day and he refused to play here so we traded him to LA. IMO he is a jerk and wont come to CLT no matter how much we pay him.

TarCat 06-24-2007 01:48 PM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
In case you all forget, the Hornets drafted Kobe back in the day and he refused to play here so we traded him to LA. IMO he is a jerk and wont come to CLT no matter how much we pay him.


I do not want him in Charlotte. He thought he was too good to play in Charlotte when the Hornets drafted him. I agree, he is a jerk (IMO).

onewickedlady 06-24-2007 06:19 PM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
Hey now. Kobe has taken so much BS from the Lakers it isn't even funny. Yeh he shouldn't have said some of the things he said but he does sort of have a right. He was made a promise that was never fulfilled and that really hurt him. He is not a jerk, he is just sick and tired of losing.


I am not referring only to his current whining self and his immature and inexcusable public insults against the management of his team and some of its players. This man has a history of having an inflated sense of his own worth as a human being. True that there haven't been any recent accusations against him for sexual misconduct but what doesn't this man think that he can get away with. True that Kobe is not the only player who has made a public spectacle of himself by his words/actions so it isn't like I'm just finger-pointing at him but he is a very public figure and could be a model of character and integrity, humility and selflessness for lots of young people if he were so inclined.

TarHeelBorn 06-24-2007 08:07 PM

Re: GM: Owners ready to spend
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by onewickedlady
True that Kobe is not the only player who has made a public spectacle of himself by his words/actions so it isn't like I'm just finger-pointing at him but he is a very public figure and could be a model of character and integrity, humility and selflessness for lots of young people if he were so inclined.


Here, here! Well said.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy