Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I still can't take Will Smith seriously as an actor (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66000)

Tarik One 12-07-2007 02:19 PM

I still can't take Will Smith seriously as an actor

I've forever typecasted him. After all these years, I still look look at him as the Fresh Prince of Bel Air no matter what movie role he plays. Ali, Hitch, Pursuit of Happiness...I'll always look at him as the silly wise cracking nephew. Why is that? Is it because of cable tv constantly shoving "Bel Air" reruns down our throats, thus making it harder to erase the memories of his younger years?

I felt the same way about "Al Bundy" when he played the pragmatic reporter in "Blue Chips". I'm sitting their thinking "Hey, look at Al Bundy busting that coach's chops about illegal recruiting."

Legend of Josh 12-07-2007 02:20 PM

Re: I still can't take Will Smith seriously as an actor

Al Bundy > Fresh Prince

j Fresh3 12-07-2007 02:26 PM

Because that's who he is. He will always be the Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

And who is Al Bundy????

ihatetimthomas 12-07-2007 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j Fresh3

And who is Al Bundy????

I hope your not serious. One of the greatest shows ever.

But yea, when an actor/actress has a long successful series, its always hard for the audience to look at them at another role. You see these people as who they are on the tv and thats the personality you realte to them. Even when i see interviews of some actors, it throws me off because they are acting proper and not at all like their character. When i see al bundy, i think the same thing. Hes always gonna be the loser shoe salesman to me

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 12-07-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I hope your not serious. One of the greatest shows ever.

But yea, when an actor/actress has a long successful series, its always hard for the audience to look at them at another role. You see these people as who they are on the tv and thats the personality you realte to them. Even when i see interviews of some actors, it throws me off because they are acting proper and not at all like their character. When i see al bundy, i think the same thing. Hes always gonna be the loser shoe salesman to me

the kid's 14. bet he wasn't even born during that show. can't hold that agaist him

ihatetimthomas 12-07-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
the kid's 14. bet he wasn't even born during that show. can't hold that agaist him

They play it lik 5 times a day though:confusedshrug:

gts 12-07-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

And who is Al Bundy????
kelly bundy's dad...

Al Bundy Quote's

Entertainment for the cave man was simple: Man kills food, woman burns it, giant pterodactyl swoops down, chases woman, woman falls in mud. A good laugh is had by all.

The opera isn't over until the last heterosexual falls asleep.

Sure selling shoes is fun. But behind the glamour, it's like any other minimum wage slow death.

I'm so hungry I can eat a vegetable

GOBB 12-07-2007 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
They play it lik 5 times a day though:confusedshrug:

What time? What channel?

I dont even know...and I was a big Love and Marriage fan. So its possible even if its still on TV to not be relevant enough for a kid to sit and watch. He probably watches BET Rap City, 106 and Park....sports and those reality tv shows that come on. I dunno...heck if you asked me to name more than 1 person from that show Eva is on...I'd fail. Never watched it. Just making a case here thats legit thats all. Dont argue cuz you cant win.

DieHardBullsFan 12-07-2007 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOBB
What time? What channel?

I dont even know...and I was a big Love and Marriage fan. So its possible even if its still on TV to not be relevant enough for a kid to sit and watch. He probably watches BET Rap City, 106 and Park....sports and those reality tv shows that come on. I dunno...heck if you asked me to name more than 1 person from that show Eva is on...I'd fail. Never watched it. Just making a case here thats legit thats all. Dont argue cuz you cant win.

:rockon: one of the best tv shows of all time Married with Children....the older shows are better than the ones they got out now......man I sound old hahaha......

pj24lal 12-07-2007 03:17 PM

Know exactly whhat you mean, happens with loads of actors from TV series. Look at the entire Friends cast, they'll always be stuck to those characters.

T-Low 12-07-2007 03:43 PM

Is it wrong I can sing the whole theme song to Married with children?

mlh1981 12-07-2007 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarik One
I've forever typecasted him. After all these years, I still look look at him as the Fresh Prince of Bel Air no matter what movie role he plays. Ali, Hitch, Pursuit of Happiness...I'll always look at him as the silly wise cracking nephew. Why is that? Is it because of cable tv constantly shoving "Bel Air" reruns down our throats, thus making it harder to erase the memories of his younger years?

I felt the same way about "Al Bundy" when he played the pragmatic reporter in "Blue Chips". I'm sitting their thinking "Hey, look at Al Bundy busting that coach's chops about illegal recruiting."

I agree. I will always view him as the "fresh prince" myself. At least he was able to move on to other things. What in the hell ever happened to Jaleel White (Urkel), Alfonso Ribiero (Carlton), Karyn Parsons (Hilary)? THOSE are TV characters who are forever typecasted and couldn't move on.

Hawker 12-07-2007 04:36 PM

To me, Will Smith will always remind me of Men in Black before Fresh Prince. I never watched Fresh Prince before I saw MIB. Hell, I never watched Fresh Prince until it came on The-N.