Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The one thing about MLB that I still can't figure out... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185230)

Doomsday Dallas 07-27-2010 05:51 PM

The one thing about MLB that I still can't figure out...

AL West = 4 teams

NL Central = 6 teams

every other division = 5 teams

:confusedshrug:

it still doesn't make any sense no matter what the explanation is.

Houston should go to the AL West... problem solved.

DFish 07-27-2010 05:53 PM

Re: The one thing about MLB that I still can't figure out...

The main thing I can't figure out is how to watch the sport without falling asleep.

It's more effective than Ambien.

brwnman 07-27-2010 11:22 PM

You need to have even teams in each league. AL has 14 and NL has 16. That way all teams can play in one day instead of two teams always sitting, because they have no one to face. (Unless you play interleague year-round). But as far as you not being able to figure it out, there it is...

tian820 07-27-2010 11:25 PM

If there's something wrong with baseball, it's not that there are 2 divisions that have an even number of teams. More about finding a way to get people to sit through games more consistently

-playmaker- 07-27-2010 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brwnman
You need to have even teams in each league. AL has 14 and NL has 16. That way all teams can play in one day instead of two teams always sitting, because they have no one to face. (Unless you play interleague year-round). But as far as you not being able to figure it out, there it is...

there is interleague play...that can't be it

I remember this coming up in here a couple years ago and someone posted a linnk that explained it.

I can't remember what the explanation was though...

Sarcastic 07-27-2010 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -playmaker-

I remember this coming up in here a couple years ago and someone posted a linnk that explained it.

I can't remember what the explanation was though...

Interleague is only a few set number of games/year. That is the reason.
Either AL needs to add 2, or NL needs to subtract 2.

DuMa 07-28-2010 12:12 AM

no salary cap is all what you need to know about MLB

AK47DR91 07-28-2010 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Interleague is only a few set number of games/year. That is the reason.
Either AL needs to add 2, or NL needs to subtract 2.

AL 14 + 2 = 16...NL 16 - 2 = 14. We'd be back to having 14 and 16 again but just the other league around. :lol

As for the OP's question...could postseason set up of the wildcard and 3 divisions in each league be the reason? You need sets of 4 or 8 or 16 to have a playoff bracket unless you go with the NFL format were two teams get a bye.

brwnman 07-28-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK47DR91
AL 14 + 2 = 16...NL 16 - 2 = 14. We'd be back to having 14 and 16 again but just the other league around. :lol

he said "or" not, "and"

Quote:

I mentioned interleague. How many interleague series are there during the year? like 6 or so? That's about it. You don't play interleague throughout the year...

artex 07-28-2010 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFish
The main thing I can't figure out is how to watch the sport without falling asleep.

It's more effective than Ambien.

you have to be a baller my friend

AK47DR91 07-28-2010 01:01 AM

Oh my bad, Sarcastic.

statman32 07-28-2010 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brwnman

End thread. Doesnt make sense at first glance but it's the perfect way to do it without adding teams or year round interleague.

the_chosen_1 07-28-2010 09:23 AM

One of the factors was the switch of Milwaukee to the National League. This was a team owned by MLB and headed by Selig, they wanted to make the team relevant adn not slip into KC Royals #2.