Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Should Pistons keep coach Lawrence Frank? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296375)

insidehoops 04-15-2013 02:07 PM

Should Pistons keep coach Lawrence Frank?

Two days before the Pistons season ends Wednesday in Brooklyn, coach Lawrence Frank sounded like a guy who is returning next season. However, there are swirling winds of change surrounding this franchise.

One of those changes could be Frank, who has lost more than 60 percent of his games in two seasons with the Pistons. However, Frank spoke about preparing for the offseason hours before the team played its final home game Monday against the Philadelphia 76ers at The Palace.

He said he would be involved with the team during summer league, have exit meetings with players and staff and speak to players during the offseason.

-- Detroit News

dd24 04-16-2013 01:34 AM

Re: Should Pistons keep coach Lawrence Frank?

I think it's irrelevant right now. We really need to see what kind of moves are going to be made. I don't think he's a good coach. He's mediocre at best. I don't really agree with how he's been developing our young guys. Right now though, it doesn't make sense to make any coaching moves. Let's see who we draft and if we can make a trade. Then we'll start thinking coach.

Kombo 04-18-2013 01:55 PM

Byron Scott now available. Might be a coach to think about if we think Knight is salvagable and/or we draft MCW. Not a huge fan though.

What other good coaches are available? Nate McMillan comes to mind.

dd24 04-18-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kombo
Byron Scott now available. Might be a coach to think about if we think Knight is salvagable and/or we draft MCW. Not a huge fan though.

What other good coaches are available? Nate McMillan comes to mind.

I'm a huge McMillan fan. He seems to get his teams to step up another notch. Phil Jackson wants a front office job. It can't hurt to look into that either.

dd24 04-18-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

According to a report on Yahoo! Sports, Pistons coach Lawrence Frank reportedly told team owner Tom Gores and general manager Joe Dumars that he wasn't interested in leading the team for a third year if the fourth year on his contract was not picked up.

After the game, Frank sounded as if changes were imminent while describing the season as one that was hard, ''both professionally and personally.

''When you look at improvement, it always starts internal improvement,'' Frank said. ''We have to get better, coaches (and) players. Obviously this is the first time in five years where the franchise, we have an opportunity to get better from the outside and have significant cap space. There's always trades. There's always the draft. So there's a lot of different ways to do it but it will take time.''

It doesn't even sound like Frank necessarily wants to stay around. I think we should have a serious conversation with McMillan.

Kombo 04-18-2013 03:33 PM

And Frank is gone. That was fast.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...by_detroi.html

dd24 04-18-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Dang, that was really quick. I'm not upset about it. I wasn't a Frank fan from the beginning. We've been terrible at hiring coaches. Joe D is probably the worst GM in the league at hiring coaches. I have McMillan at the top of my list. I really hope they give him a call. He's a defensive minded guy that really seems like he would fit in Detroit. He was part of the Olympic coaching staff and it really blows my mind that he doesn't have a head coaching job right now.

dd24 04-18-2013 03:47 PM

I think two other guys who really deserve a chance are Patrick Ewing and Bill Laimbeer. Ewing has really paid his dues as an assistant and I think it's about time someone out there actually hires him. Laimbeer would be a great fit with the Pistons.

Kombo 04-18-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Dang, that was really quick. I'm not upset about it. I wasn't a Frank fan from the beginning. We've been terrible at hiring coaches. Joe D is probably the worst GM in the league at hiring coaches. I have McMillan at the top of my list. I really hope they give him a call. He's a defensive minded guy that really seems like he would fit in Detroit. He was part of the Olympic coaching staff and it really blows my mind that he doesn't have a head coaching job right now.

It would be great if we were aggresive and pursued him before other teams have a chance. Nate and SVG are probably the two best defensive coaches available, and it doesn't seem like SVG has any interest in returning to the bench anytime soon.

dd24 04-18-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

It would be great if we were aggresive and pursued him before other teams have a chance. Nate and SVG are probably the two best defensive coaches available, and it doesn't seem like SVG has any interest in returning to the bench anytime soon.

Yeah, SVG has said he enjoys his current job. It doesn't sound like he will be coaching. I think a lot of teams will try to interview McMillan. We need to get on that right away. Plus if we find someone soon it will help with their scouting for the draft, pursuing possible trades, and filling the needs of this roster.

embersyc 04-18-2013 06:29 PM

Any previously well established NBA coach will do honestly. We haven't had once since Flip Saunders.

Avery Johnson
Mike Woodson
McMillan
A Van Gundy or Two

Really anybody who knows wtf they are doing.

dd24 04-18-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersyc
Any previously well established NBA coach will do honestly. We haven't had once since Flip Saunders.

Avery Johnson
Mike Woodson
McMillan
A Van Gundy or Two

Really anybody who knows wtf they are doing.

I liked Avery in Dallas, but not so much in NJ. I would say absolutely not to Woodson and Stan Van Gundy. The only one on that list that sounds good to me is McMillan.

Kombo 04-19-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Don't know why I was typing SVG, I ment the balder brother Jeff. Oh well, I guess the same applies.

Kombo 04-19-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I liked Avery in Dallas, but not so much in NJ. I would say absolutely not to Woodson and Stan Van Gundy. The only one on that list that sounds good to me is McMillan.

I think Avery was rumored last time, but wanted a long contract with way Joe goes through coaches.

dd24 04-19-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

I think Avery was rumored last time, but wanted a long contract with way Joe goes through coaches.

He was rumored and there were quite a few of us that wanted him here.

dd24 04-22-2013 03:03 PM

Not that Jeff Van Gundy was really ever a candidate, but this article shows he's really not trying to get back into coaching lol. And he's really not impressed with the Pistons front office.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...1156--nba.html

dd24 04-22-2013 10:27 PM

McMillan is the front runner for the job. This would be the first smart coaching hire we've had in a while if this actually happens.

Quote:

Former Portland and Seattle coach Nate McMillan has emerged as the front-runner to replace the fired Lawrence Frank and become the new head coach of the Detroit Pistons, according to sources familiar with Detroit's plans. New York Daily News

Quote:

Hunter is someone the Pistons could possibly consider. He enjoys a great relationship with president of basketball Joe Dumars and is well regarded by the organization. Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer also could be a possibility for the Pistons. Detroit Free Press

Quote:

A name that hasnít been a part of the rumor mill is Thunder assistant Mo Cheeks, who was one of the best point guards in the game in the í80s and is a former head coach in Portland and Philadelphia. Itís believed he wants another shot at the top chair. Detroit Free Press

dd24 04-22-2013 10:42 PM

Apparently they're looking at a Euroleague coach too.....

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/4...-pistons-coach

dd24 04-25-2013 12:08 AM

Lindsey Hunter has asked the Suns for permission to interview for the Detroit coaching job..... If Dumars even thinks for a second about hiring him over McMillan it should be his job on the line.

dd24 04-30-2013 02:50 PM

McMillan is having his interview today:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/4/3...-nate-mcmillan

He's my top choice right now. They're still saying Hunter and Sampson. I'm not a fan of Sampson at all. Wasn't he in the mix last time too?

Kombo 05-01-2013 08:46 PM

I just really hope we're talking to Hunter as a way to help him get a job somewhere else. Loved him as a player, but we need an established coach.

dd24 06-08-2013 12:59 PM

It's going to be Cheeks. I really wish we would've hired McMilllan. Cheeks is an upgrade, but I'm still unsure about this one. He's a good assistant, but his head coaching is questionable. He should be able to help Knight at least. I want to see who the rest of the staff is going to be.

Quote:

Maurice Cheeks will be offered an opportunity to lead the Detroit Pistons out of a half-decade's malaise. The Pistons have settled on Cheeks as their top choice to become the franchise's 33rd head coach, according to sources, after he interviewed extensively with both owner Tom Gores and president of basketball operations Joe Dumars. Michigan Live

dd24 06-10-2013 08:23 PM

Well, it's official:http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/06/...-as-new-coach/

Cheeks is the coach. I really hope this works out good for Knight. Of course we have two really good big men that will need some grooming still too. I'm a little skeptical of this one. If this experiment fails it could be the end of the line for Joe D. We'll have to wait and see how the rest of the offseason shapes up and how he uses this cap space.

Nastradamus 06-13-2013 03:55 PM

I'm cool with Cheeks. Hope he doesn't get judged on his work with Knight because I'm afraid Knight might just suck. His WS,PER and O/D ratings are off the charts bad, which is a very bad thing for his future success.

dd24 06-13-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I'm cool with Cheeks. Hope he doesn't get judged on his work with Knight because I'm afraid Knight might just suck. His WS,PER and O/D ratings are off the charts bad, which is a very bad thing for his future success.

I agree about Knight. I'm scared about him. That's why I wouldn't be upset with picking another PG. Knight still has potential though. I will definitely judge him on how he utilizes Knight. I wouldn't ever judge a coach on a players ability, but how they get the most out of it I will for sure. Cheeks doesn't have a good track record with his other head coaching positions. It's not the smartest hire IMO. It's a bit of an upgrade from what we've been used to, that's about it.

Nastradamus 06-13-2013 04:34 PM

I don't agree that he hasn't done well in other stops. Not sure you could have gotten more out of that Philly team and he won 100 games his first 2 years in Portland. He also made it into the 4th year with both teams, which isn't easy in the NBA.

dd24 06-28-2013 02:38 PM

Sheed might be on the staff with Cheeks!!

Quote:

Vincent Goodwill: Heard from multiple sources that Sheed's interest in joining Mo Cheeks' staff is very, very real. #Pistons Twitter