Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Source: Laker's Offer to Odom Reduced (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141446)

Reverend Hoops 07-28-2009 05:26 PM

Source: Laker's Offer to Odom Reduced

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359259

Quote:

Although it's unclear how much impact (Dwyane)Wade's ongoing recruiting efforts will have on his former teammate -- or if Heat president Pat Riley, who's also in L.A. this week, will be meeting with (Lamar) Odom -- one source with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com that a resolution to the monthlong Odom saga is likely "in the next few days."

Odom's options, as of Monday, were choosing between an offer from the Lakers that has been reduced from its high point two weeks ago or taking one of the multiple fallback proposals from the Heat that are thought to be sufficiently attractive to coax him to Miami.

So eager to reunite Odom and Wade after their one successful season together in 2003-04, Miami has offered Odom as much as it can for a team well over the salary cap: $34 million over five years with an opt-out to return to free agency after the fourth season. Sources said that Odom, if he ultimately decides to return to South Beach, would likely sign the five-year deal or opt for a four-year deal that comes with a provision to return to free agency after three years.

One team source confirmed Monday that Lakers owner Jerry Buss, after pulling his initial offer off the table on July 14, is now offering "less" than the original three-year, $27 million deal that he withdrew when Odom pushed for a fourth year. Another source maintains that Odom's preference remains returning to the Lakers after helping them win a championship in June but cautioned that he is prepared to return to Miami and reunite with Wade and Riley if nothing changes this week.

Sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com that an informal level of contact between the sides was maintained after Buss pulled his offer, but it appears that they remain far apart in negotiations.

Clifton 07-28-2009 05:35 PM

Re: Source: Laker's Offer to Odom Reduced

This is stupid. What's $5 million? Is there really any difference between 3 years, 27 million, and 3 years, 32 million? There is no difference, from the point of view of ownership. Teams throw 5 year 30 million dollar deals at mediocre players all the time. Why is the Lakers ownership choosing now to be penny pinchers? Odom is the difference between being a contender and being a dynasty. Fork over the extra $5m over 3 years it would take to secure him. Anyway, it can't hurt to show a player like Odom that you consider him valuable enough to break open the bank a little. Again.. it's just a little.

Just curious, what did Luke Walton get?

LAClipsFan33 07-28-2009 05:36 PM

Odom is full of sh*t. Just sign with the Lakers like your going to and stop being a diva

gotbacon23 07-28-2009 05:37 PM

lamar odom meet latrell sprewell and troy hudson. troy hudson and latrell sprewell meet lamar odom.

ProfessorMurder 07-28-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifton
This is stupid. What's $5 million? Is there really any difference between 3 years, 27 million, and 3 years, 32 million? There is no difference, from the point of view of ownership. Teams throw 5 year 30 million dollar deals at mediocre players all the time. Why is the Lakers ownership choosing now to be penny pinchers?

No, this means the offer is now less than 27 mil... Things are looking up for the Heat!

(I don't like to use this since I think it's gay; but I feel like this calls for it)
:hammertime:

qrich 07-28-2009 05:41 PM

Dude must've taken some notes from Beckham/Favre on how to be a media whore.

dr8ked 07-28-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifton
This is stupid. What's $5 million? Is there really any difference between 3 years, 27 million, and 3 years, 32 million? There is no difference, from the point of view of ownership. Teams throw 5 year 30 million dollar deals at mediocre players all the time. Why is the Lakers ownership choosing now to be penny pinchers? Odom is the difference between being a contender and being a dynasty. Fork over the extra $5m over 3 years it would take to secure him. Anyway, it can't hurt to show a player like Odom that you consider him valuable enough to break open the bank a little. Again.. it's just a little.

Just curious, what did Luke Walton get?

l
2009/10 - 4M

2010/11 - 5.2M

2011/12 - 5.6M

2012/13 - 6M

I hope Gasol doesnt get the same treatment when his Contract is up .

beasted86 07-28-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
No, this means the offer is now less than 27 mil... Things are looking up for the Heat!

(I don't like to use this since I think it's gay; but I feel like this calls for it)
:hammertime:

x2... I've never used that smiley either... glad I can quote this post here without using it still

DuMa 07-28-2009 05:51 PM

Buss is pissed off

boozehound 07-28-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa
Buss is pissed off

yep, and hes letting his emotions impact business decisions. bad idea IMO.

SCY 07-28-2009 05:58 PM

It's a pissing contest at this point, neither side wants to give in and it looks like both will be losers when it's over. Odom's agent sucks though, there was no way to gain any leverage this offseason.

beasted86 07-28-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCY
It's a pissing contest at this point, neither side wants to give in and it looks like both will be losers when it's over. Odom's agent sucks though, there was no way to gain any leverage this offseason.

I think listening to the Miami offer was plenty of leverage... In alot of ways 5yr/$34M w/no taxes and being a starter is either equal or better than the Lakers offer.

Time for Buss to just commit to guaranteeing that 4th year, and this will all be over.

Luigi 07-28-2009 06:01 PM

This is surprising. LA needs Odom to win again. Odom's agent knows this. LA really has no alternative to pursue.

Miami isn't a bad spot, but I expected LA to give in to Odom's (and his agent's) demands. Instead, they are playing hardball--not going to get pushed around by supporting players even in anticiaption of another title. Do they think Artest can fill the forward spots for Lamar and Ariza?

Lakers_Kobe_Fan 07-28-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boozehound
yep, and hes letting his emotions impact business decisions. bad idea IMO.

are you serious?? seriously??? he is the single reason, the laker fans are so spoiled.....

look what the suns owner did...from contender to lottery in 2 years....

whatever the decisions the lakers make, I am happy with it.....

nbastatus 07-28-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAClipsFan33
Odom is full of sh*t. Just sign with the Lakers like your going to and stop being a diva

yes dude.