Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Danny Ainge defends trade of Kendrick Perkins (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218681)

insidehoops 04-20-2011 09:48 AM

Danny Ainge defends trade of Kendrick Perkins

Ainge still feels the team made the right move

Read: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7536

niko 04-20-2011 09:50 AM

Re: Danny Ainge defends trade of Kendrick Perkins

Yeah, sure. They traded their center and their two replacements are hurt and hanging by a thread respectively, and the players they got back, suck. Great trade.

Stuckey 04-20-2011 09:51 AM

:facepalm

ILLsmak 04-20-2011 09:52 AM

Green is doing work, actually...

Perk got shit on by Nene, so I guess that whole myth of him being a game changing defender was proven false.

The fact that Shaq's big ass can't get back on the court makes a huge difference. Although J. O'Neal played a great game in G1.

This all depends on Shaq; they were counting on Shaq and so far he's let them down.

-Smak

HorryIsMyMVP 04-20-2011 09:54 AM

If I were the Celtics I'd have kept him for this year and just lost him to free agency. No way the Celtics are having success without him this year and soon the franchise will settle back to mediocrity. This was a last hoorah season but they decided not to go for it.

Real Men Wear Green 04-20-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
Yeah, sure. They traded their center and their two replacements are hurt and hanging by a thread respectively, and the players they got back, suck. Great trade.

Jeff Green averaged 15 as a astarter in OK and put up 10 ppg backing up the Cs top scorer. That's a stupid comment.

JohnnySic 04-20-2011 09:58 AM

I like the trade, did from the start...

ILLsmak 04-20-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
If I were the Celtics I'd have kept him for this year and just lost him to free agency. No way the Celtics are having success without him this year and soon the franchise will settle back to mediocrity. This was a last hoorah season but they decided not to go for it.

I dunno. Green is the more valuable piece going forward... especially 'heading into mediocrity." Perk would be horrible on a bad team. If he was a FA the fans would be pissed if they didn't resign him, but then they'd be stuck going forward with a player who can't do much once everyone else leaves. Now at least people can see that Perk isn't as great as they thought. But he did fit well on these Cs.

-Smak

8BeastlyXOIAD 04-20-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic

This

And Btw didn't Kendrick Perkins only start like 12 games for the Celtics this season?

niko 04-20-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Jeff Green averaged 15 as a astarter in OK and put up 10 ppg backing up the Cs top scorer. That's a stupid comment.

The playoffs is the point, not the regular season. He's been a total non factor. So, he averaged good production in the regular season malaise the Celtics had and so far in the playoffs, nothing. But that's great?

LilBTheBasedGod 04-20-2011 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILLsmak

Perk got shit on by Nene, so I guess that whole myth of him being a game changing defender was proven false.

The fact that Shaq's big ass can't get back on the court makes a huge difference. Although J. O'Neal played a great game in G1.

This all depends on Shaq; they were counting on Shaq and so far he's let them down.

-Smak

They were counting on Ainge who was counting on Shaq, which was stupid, so Ainge has let them down.

Shepseskaf 04-20-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic

The aim is to win championships, not to endlessly 'build for the future'. Logically, what Ainge did makes sense but in actuality when the Celts don't win it this year, it will be looked at as a big mistake.

HorryIsMyMVP 04-20-2011 10:18 AM

Quote:

I dunno. Green is the more valuable piece going forward... especially 'heading into mediocrity." Perk would be horrible on a bad team. If he was a FA the fans would be pissed if they didn't resign him, but then they'd be stuck going forward with a player who can't do much once everyone else leaves. Now at least people can see that Perk isn't as great as they thought. But he did fit well on these Cs.

-Smak

Jeff Green is the future! In the past we had prime KG, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen but this is a promising future. The NBA has super teams brewing and your clinging onto ****ing Jeff Green? The Celtics sold out basically everything for their current big 3. Once the run is done. The Celtics are done for a long time. Blame the years of getting ****ed over on lottery balls.

Real Men Wear Green 04-20-2011 10:20 AM

Quote:

The playoffs is the point, not the regular season. He's been a total non factor. So, he averaged good production in the regular season malaise the Celtics had and so far in the playoffs, nothing. But that's great?

The "playoffs" is two games, only one of which was bad, so your "point" is a pretty small one. And I didn't say he was "great." You said he sucks, and that's an idiotic overreaction.

JohnnySic 04-20-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

The aim is to win championships, not to endlessly 'build for the future'. Logically, what Ainge did makes sense but in actuality when the Celts don't win it this year, it will be looked at as a big mistake.
Ainge didn't make the trade for the future; they needed a backup wing after Daniels got hurt; without that, the season was shot, Perkins or no Perkins.

Ainge has said repeatedly that he felt the C's could go with the 2 O'Neals, Krstic, and Davis (spot time) at center and not lose anything. And guess what? I agree with him.

coin24 04-20-2011 10:24 AM

Prob wasnt the best trade, but im not a huge celtics fan so ill be happy when they get knocked out:lol

Hopefully shaq makes it back asap though.. You can never trust boston when it comes to injuries, they always lie.. He was playing really well for the first third of the season then hes just been MIA since:facepalm ... Its a problem because shaq is normally really off for the first few games back from injury/time off.....

Jermaine was kept out basically 95% of the season aswell. Although he played well in game 1...

I think if they play miami they are going to be in big trouble, unless lebron lets the pressure get to his head again....

niko 04-20-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
The "playoffs" is two games, only one of which was bad, so your "point" is a pretty small one. And I didn't say he was "great." You said he sucks, and that's an idiotic overreaction.

You had an enormous advantage over the teams in your division, and it allowed you to match up with LA, probably the team you'd play in the finals. In a purely financial move, you traded that advantage away. And yes, it's a small sample size but if we are 2 series in and Green is still not producing, will i be right then? Because he doesn't look comfortable at all.

I'd rather have had Perkins and beat Miami down inside than hope the O'Neal's were healthy at that point. The trade might be better later on, but it may cost you a title. Which is the point.

Perkins clearly has an intangible impact. He changed the whole attitude over in OKC. They are this nasty big team all of a sudden. Green is a nice player but he's not going to make that much of an impact the way Boston plays.

Real Men Wear Green 04-20-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

You had an enormous advantage over the teams in your division, and it allowed you to match up with LA, probably the team you'd play in the finals. In a purely financial move, you traded that advantage away. And yes, it's a small sample size but if we are 2 series in and Green is still not producing, will i be right then? Because he doesn't look comfortable at all.

I'd rather have had Perkins and beat Miami down inside than hope the O'Neal's were healthy at that point. The trade might be better later on, but it may cost you a title. Which is the point.

Perkins clearly has an intangible impact. He changed the whole attitude over in OKC. They are this nasty big team all of a sudden. Green is a nice player but he's not going to make that much of an impact the way Boston plays.

The overall trade is a gamble on the health of the O'Neals. I was just focusing on you saying Green sucks, which is nonsense.

50inchvertical 04-20-2011 10:36 AM

Nene did work, but Nene is a borderline all star, it's going to happen. It's not like anybody ever said he will never get scored on. He is doing all we need from him down here and more, fans from other teams always just look at boxscores and see 7 and 5 or something and think he's not contributing.

As for Ainge, I can understand needing a backup for PP34 and someone else who has the ability to defend the wings in the East, but you also just gave away Semi Erden who looked nice this season. I just can't see being comfortable with the 2 O'Neals who have been injured on and off, but mostly on, all season.

Lebron23 04-20-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coin24
Prob wasnt the best trade, but im not a huge celtics fan so ill be happy when they get knocked out:lol

Hopefully shaq makes it back asap though.. You can never trust boston when it comes to injuries, they always lie.. He was playing really well for the first third of the season then hes just been MIA since:facepalm ... Its a problem because shaq is normally really off for the first few games back from injury/time off.....

Jermaine was kept out basically 95% of the season aswell. Although he played well in game 1...

I think if they play miami they are going to be in big trouble, unless lebron lets the pressure get to his head again....

Iguodala is already roughing up LeBron in the first round. I expect a very motivated LeBron and Wade againts the aging Celtics.

Real Men Wear Green 04-20-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50inchvertical
Nene did work, but Nene is a borderline all star, it's going to happen. It's not like anybody ever said he will never get scored on. He is doing all we need from him down here and more, fans from other teams always just look at boxscores and see 7 and 5 or something and think he's not contributing.

As for Ainge, I can understand needing a backup for PP34 and someone else who has the ability to defend the wings in the East, but you also just gave away Semi Erden who looked nice this season. I just can't see being comfortable with the 2 O'Neals who have been injured on and off, but mostly on, all season.

Trading away Semih was a move I didn't get either. Overall, Ainge's style is to gamble with his assets. So far (talking his whole GM tenure here) he's done a great job, but he's put his rep on the line again with the Perk deal. All we Celt fans can do is hope the O'Neals hold up.

Droid101 04-20-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

LULULULUL

12 minutes 2-8 shooting 6 points 3 rebounds.

:lol

Godzuki 04-20-2011 11:54 AM

Perkins is the most overrated, overpaid player now. Dude barely does anything 3/4's of a game, has 1 or 2 good defensive plays at most, and then everyone just focuses on those 1 or 2 good defensive plays like he's so worth it :banghead:

It reminds me of Artest with the Lakers. there is just so much more going on in a game that matters, and people who only focus on defense make the biggest deal out of 1 or 2 of these plays a game like its so crucial.

therammingman 04-20-2011 12:59 PM

it was a fcking stupid and misguided trader. Ainge is acting like a biatch....just like their coach rivers, who always hung his hat on his starting 5 never being beaten or whatever. Fcking losers.

'Toine=MVP 04-20-2011 01:09 PM

Definitely a NEEDED trade for the Celtics even if they lose to the Knicks. They gain much more from what they got than they lost by giving up Perk. If the Celtics could have traded for Battier and given up virtually nothing, that would have been better, but I'm not sure that was really an option. If the C's stood pat, they would have no shot to win the East. With this trade they should be considered the slight favorite to do so, so it was needed, even if it wasn't necessarily the greatest possible deal out there.

Dbrog 04-20-2011 01:13 PM

Let's put it this way, if the Celts still had Perk, they would have beaten the Knicks by 10+ the past two games.