Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   G League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Olympic Qualifying Tournament (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95632)

kaiteng 07-13-2008 04:52 PM

Olympic Qualifying Tournament

It will starts tomorrow, folks. 12 teams, only top 3 teams will go on to the final stage at the Olympics.

Group A
Brazil, Greece, Lebanon

Group B
Cape Verde, Germany, New Zealand

Group C
Canada, Korea, Slovenia

Group D
Cameroon, Croatia, Puerto Rico

Top two teams of each group will go to the quarterfinals.

My picks are Greece, Germany and Canada. And yes, I'm a homer.

b.jerk 07-13-2008 05:48 PM

Re: Olympic Qualifying Tournament

Brazil, Greece and either croatia or puerto rico

The germans qualified by default and they really don't belong.

simasu01 07-13-2008 07:49 PM

Hope: Brazil, Canada and Germany
What will probably happen: Greece, Slovenia and Croatia
Does anyone know if these will be shown in the USA, preferably around New York or Philadelphia? How about on the internet? Will myp2p.eu show them? Or Sopcast?

ClintDogg 07-14-2008 12:45 AM

I want to see New Zealand qualify, so i can compare Penney and them against great oppositions.

If they do, watch out 4 a guy named Pero Cameron. Hes HUGE, and can get up and down the floor pretty good, he takes people off the dribble and shoots fade away 3s. Ive called a few of his games in the NBL here in Australia, and he got a bit mad and went looking for me when i announced him as "the Big Fella". He was staring down the scorers bench to see where the announcer (me) was, he didnt find me cause the game re-started.

ffffffffffeeew!.

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s...splay&id=75439

dd24 07-14-2008 05:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simasu01
Does anyone know if these will be shown in the USA, preferably around New York or Philadelphia? How about on the internet? Will myp2p.eu show them? Or Sopcast?

Don't tell me the guy that hates US basketball lives in the US :cheers:

This is a great post, I didn't realize this was happening already.

Prodigy 07-14-2008 05:10 AM

Well there is no way Canada doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. Korea should be a pushover, I'm thinking of a twenty point victory. You can't hope to stop The Mighty Rasho from Slovenia however; this being said, if Dalembert and Kendall can somewhat contain him to something along the lines of 16/8 we should still be able to walk away with that game as well. The greatest dangers should be of course Greece and Brazil. However I wouldn't count out Germany and Puerto Rico either.

Top 3 is not an unreasonable finish for the Canadians. Perhaps if they qualify it would convince Nash to give the team one final shot at a medal although I doubt it.

dd24 07-14-2008 05:20 AM

Even if they had Nash I don't think they would medal, but they would certainly qualify. I would love to see him play, why doesn't he?

berraco 07-14-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Well there is no way Canada doesn't make it to the quarterfinals. Korea should be a pushover, I'm thinking of a twenty point victory. You can't hope to stop The Mighty Rasho from Slovenia however; this being said, if Dalembert and Kendall can somewhat contain him to something along the lines of 16/8 we should still be able to walk away with that game as well. The greatest dangers should be of course Greece and Brazil. However I wouldn't count out Germany and Puerto Rico either.

Top 3 is not an unreasonable finish for the Canadians. Perhaps if they qualify it would convince Nash to give the team one final shot at a medal although I doubt it.

:no: Lakovic, Rasho, Lorbek and Becirovic are too much for the Canadians. They do not even need Smodiz to beat them. Top 3 is far away from their possibilities.

Prodigy 07-14-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berraco
:no: Lakovic, Rasho, Lorbek and Becirovic are too much for the Canadians. They do not even need Smodiz to beat them. Top 3 is far away from their possibilities.

I remember Slovenia finishing respectably during the 06 FIBA games if I recall correctly. However I would be lying if I said I paid attention to their players apart from Rasho. Canada finished either fourth or fifth last year in the American qualifiers held in Las Vegas behind Brazil. Don't expect the Canadians to be a pushover either when their front court is clicking.

Prodigy 07-14-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Even if they had Nash I don't think they would medal, but they would certainly qualify. I would love to see him play, why doesn't he?

Most likely because he doesn't believe that they CAN medal anymore with the increasingly strong field of teams appearing on the international circuit. I believe this is the reason why he was so choked in the Sydney games where they had a realistic shot at medalling but fell to France, eventually finishing 7th. There is no doubt that if Nash were on the team they would definatlely make it to the Olympics and possibly finish top 5; but to go so close only to not medal again would mostly likely break his heart.

He also has his concerns about the Phoenix Suns. His window of opportunity to win the ship with his current squad is gradually closing and he is the first to know it. Does he REALLY want to put in the extra work load during the offseason and risk an injury in the international games, FURTHER setting back his chances of winning an NBA championship ring?

He also has twin daughters to take care of now whereas before it was only him and his then-girlfriend now-wife. He has more responsibilities and when the regular season is as hectic as it is, one would embrace the time they have off during the summer to be with their family and watch them develop.

stax 07-14-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

yeah myp2p.eu is showing them. greece v lebanon tips off in 15 minutes!

i was watching other international matches on that website last week too, but i'm not even sure what tournament it was (pure ignorance i know! shameful) yeah australia v egypt was definitely the worst game i've seen in a while... ho hum :confusedshrug:

joorcek 07-14-2008 03:10 PM

Slovenia, Greece, Germany or Croatia

I don't think any other team has a great chance if you look the way the tournament will be played, how the teams pair up in the quaterfinals.

Cangri 07-14-2008 11:17 PM

Anyone knows what channel is transmitting the games and at what hour are the games?

Silverbullit 07-14-2008 11:48 PM

Day 1:

NZL vs CPV 77-50
KOR vs SLO 76-88
CRO vs CMR 93-79
GRE vs LIB 119-62

simasu01 07-15-2008 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Don't tell me the guy that hates US basketball lives in the US :cheers:

This is a great post, I didn't realize this was happening already.

Yes, I live in the states, and the reason I ask is because I miss good basketball. I was excited about moving here before, since I thought Europe was far behind, but now, I can't wait to go back and watch Euro basketball but for now I'll enjoy the Olympics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stax
yeah myp2p.eu is showing them. greece v lebanon tips off in 15 minutes!

i was watching other international matches on that website last week too, but i'm not even sure what tournament it was (pure ignorance i know! shameful) yeah australia v egypt was definitely the worst game i've seen in a while... ho hum

Thank you, and I thought Australia was decent. I didn't see the game, but if it was a bad game against Egypt, I assume they aren't in a really bright time.

stax 07-15-2008 04:36 AM

Quote:

Thank you, and I thought Australia was decent. I didn't see the game, but if it was a bad game against Egypt, I assume they aren't in a really bright time.

every player on the australian team was under 19 years of age. i don't think i was paying close enough attention to the match. i've also just found out that its an invitational friendly tournament, the william jones cup, which apparently takes place every year in taipei, taiwan. damn i am ignorant! :)

a team representing the USA (not Lebron and co.) just beat egypt by about 20 points.

simasu01 07-15-2008 12:05 PM

The USA team if they only won by 20 points, it must have been a division 2 college team. Or maybe 2nd rank high schoolers. Or maybe a u-16. Who knows, it couldn't be too good if they won by only 20 against Egypt. I didn't even know that Egypt had a basketball team. I read about them once that they won the Euro basketball tournament, but that was well over 50 years ago. And they play in Africa now.

kaiteng 07-15-2008 12:08 PM

Slovenia 86 - 70 Canada :banghead:

Cape Verde 68 - 104 Germany
Dirk with 16. Kaveman with a double-double.

R.I.P. 07-15-2008 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiteng
Slovenia 86 - 70 Canada :banghead:

Cape Verde 68 - 104 Germany
Dirk with 16. Kaveman with a double-double.

Lakovic dropped 16 on Canada in the first quarter. :applause:

I wish they make the field bigger for the Olympics. Some good teams will miss out. Germany, Brazil, Greece, Slovenia, Croatia and Puerto Rico would be nice to see. Even some Euro teams, that didnīt even make it to the tournament. Cape Verde, I mean seriously now.

dab0yech0 07-15-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cangri
Anyone knows what channel is transmitting the games and at what hour are the games?

same question

bjtrdff 07-16-2008 07:58 AM

Canada 79/Korea 77

Big comeback for Canada....down 18 at one point in the first half, and down 10 with 2 minutes to go. Slovenia and Canada advance to the quarter finals out of their group, as do Croatia and Puerto Rico, although they are playing for 'first' right now.

kaiteng 07-16-2008 01:12 PM

The other Team Canada news: Sam Dalembert is out of Canada team for the rest of the tournament, or maybe for the Olympics if they're qualified, or maybe forever.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...ortsBasketball

Grinder 07-16-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dab0yech0
same question

www.channelsurfing.net

Dirk ends the half on a sweet turnaround J and one.

17 for Dirk and 13 for Kaman at the half. Both guys are really cleaning up the boards very well. Kirk Penney on NZL is a baller.

Silverbullit 07-16-2008 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder
www.channelsurfing.net

Dirk ends the half on a sweet turnaround J and one.

17 for Dirk and 13 for Kaman at the half. Both guys are really cleaning up the boards very well. Kirk Penney on NZL is a baller.

Germany won, Dirk 35/7/3, Kaman 20/4/1.

Prodigy 07-16-2008 07:17 PM

What on earth happened with Dalembert? Doesn't seem like Canada will qualify for top three anymore. On the other hand, it is good to see the other members push on with pride.

Quote:

"[But] the most important thing to understand is that the coaches, Leo, the last guy on the team, the doctors — we are all united here. We aren't waiting for Steve Nash or Sam Dalembert. We have to do it with the guys who are here."

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...ortsBasketball

dd24 07-16-2008 09:11 PM

Has Nash ever said why he won't play? It doesn't make sense to me.

Grinder 07-18-2008 09:00 AM

Haven't been that impressed by Goran Dragic thus far.

Watching Jose Barea play always cracks me up. :lol

la bomba 07-18-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Haven't been that impressed by Goran Dragic thus far.

Watching Jose Barea play always cracks me up. :lol

Dragic is a good prospect but he would be making an unbelievable mistake if he went to the NBA having not yet established himself in Europe.Like Gallinari,sergio rodriguez,bellineli,bargnani.all this players would be improving in europe and also improving the european leagues yet they sit on the bench in the NBA not helping themselves,europe or the NBA.

Grinder 07-18-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la bomba
Dragic is a good prospect but he would be making an unbelievable mistake if he went to the NBA having not yet established himself in Europe.Like Gallinari,sergio rodriguez,bellineli,bargnani.all this players would be improving in europe and also improving the european leagues yet they sit on the bench in the NBA not helping themselves,europe or the NBA.

Agreed, established players in Europe always do much better in the NBA than these high potential guys. Rudy Fernandez and Marc Gasol should be able to step in and contribute right away this year.

Puerto Rico's most effective lineup has been:

Barea, Arroyo, Ayuso, 7'1" Daniel Santiago, and 7'3" PJ Ramos. Three quick, small guards and two lumbering big men with good touch. All 5 of these guys have been in the NBA at one point or other.

Nesterovic with a stupid flagrant foul on Barea down the stretch, wow.

Grinder 07-18-2008 10:09 AM

PJ Ramos with some clutch plays at the end of the game including hitting a contested 15 foot jumper.

la bomba 07-18-2008 10:10 AM

puerto rico have their strongest team.Arroyo and ayuso always play well for puerto rico.I think Slovenia with their full team would have gone through.Their biggest absentee Matiaz Smodis just does too much for this team,also Nachbar and Vujacic are missing.Lakovic has been in real poor form the last 6 months.As for Fernandez and Gasol I think they are good enough to play in most teams,so I agree.I wish only these type of players would go to the NBA and not the young prospects.My problem is I think Fernandez is in the wrong team.Portland will be his demise!I hope I am wrong.

Grinder 07-18-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

puerto rico have their strongest team.Arroyo and ayuso always play well for puerto rico.I think Slovenia with their full team would have gone through.Their biggest absentee Matiaz Smodis just does too much for this team,also Nachbar and Vujacic are missing.Lakovic has been in real poor form the last 6 months.As for Fernandez and Gasol I think they are good enough to play in most teams,so I agree.I wish only these type of players would go to the NBA and not the young prospects.My problem is I think Fernandez is in the wrong team.Portland will be his demise!I hope I am wrong.

Agreed, it will be hard for him to find playing time behind Brandon Roy and now it looks more and more like Bayless will be getting the starting PG spot, so Blake will be backing him up. A better fit for Fernandez would have been Memphis or Philadelphia IMO.

la bomba 07-18-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Agreed, it will be hard for him to find playing time behind Brandon Roy and now it looks more and more like Bayless will be getting the starting PG spot, so Blake will be backing him up. A better fit for Fernandez would have been Memphis or Philadelphia IMO.

Personally I think he could have stayed in Europe and signed for one of the big clubs.He would be playing for titles ,had more fun,more respect.Now he goes to play as a 5th or 6th offensive option,fighting for scraps and looking at his numbers.Playing for memphis must be like getting your balls waxed!!!Rudy Gay throws up everything ther.I'd rather play in the cape verde league!

Grinder 07-18-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Personally I think he could have stayed in Europe and signed for one of the big clubs.He would be playing for titles ,had more fun,more respect.Now he goes to play as a 5th or 6th offensive option,fighting for scraps and looking at his numbers.Playing for memphis must be like getting your balls waxed!!!Rudy Gay throws up everything ther.I'd rather play in the cape verde league!

Memphis does suck. :oldlol:

Navarro had some success there last year as a rookie. There seems to be a lot of anticipation for Rudy Fernandez however, a lot of people think he could be a future all star.

la bomba 07-18-2008 10:27 AM

I think Greece will beat New Zealand and Germany will beat Brazil but not without problems.Infact I hope Brazil win.I really like Marcelinho huertas even though Splitter is their main man.

la bomba 07-18-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Memphis does suck. :oldlol:

Navarro had some success there last year as a rookie. There seems to be a lot of anticipation for Rudy Fernandez however, a lot of people think he could be a future all star.

Navarro is a great player averaged more than 10 points a game and was about the 3rd or 4th offensive option,yet he is back after just one year.He knows whats best for him.Rudy is awesome but believe it or not,you might laugh ,but I think another usually **** team would have suited Rudy...New York.He is perfect for D'Antoni's type of basketball.

Grinder 07-18-2008 10:44 AM

Quote:

I think Greece will beat New Zealand and Germany will beat Brazil but not without problems.Infact I hope Brazil win.I really like Marcelinho huertas even though Splitter is their main man.

Greece should beat New Zealand without any problem, Penney and Cameron are pretty much the whole NZL team. I think Germany's front line of Kaman and Nowitzki will be too much for the Brazilians. Splitter will have a hard time scoring with Kaman guarding him, if the Brazilians had Varajao, I'd like their chances better since he'd do a solid job defending Kaman or Dirk. Brazil is seriously lacking some of their best players aside from Splitter.

la bomba 07-18-2008 10:55 AM

Quote:

Greece should beat New Zealand without any problem, Penney and Cameron are pretty much the whole NZL team. I think Germany's front line of Kaman and Nowitzki will be too much for the Brazilians. Splitter will have a hard time scoring with Kaman guarding him, if the Brazilians had Varajao, I'd like their chances better since he'd do a solid job defending Kaman or Dirk. Brazil is seriously lacking some of their best players aside from Splitter.

Leandro,Varejao and nene.Like Slovenia and Croatia and Canada etc.Thats why I can't understand US fans coming up with lame excuses for not winning anything the last few years,such as we don't take our best players,when their third best P.G is far better than any other nations 3rd P.G.

Grinder 07-18-2008 12:51 PM

To be fair, Greece did have its best possible team and Sofoklis Schortsanitis played better than I've ever seen him play against the US in Japan.

Also during the Olympics in 04, the Argentine and Lithuanian teams were pretty much at their best possible rosters. The only pathetic loss was the one to an undersized Puerto Rico.

Grinder 07-18-2008 12:56 PM

Splitter and Araujo are really locking down on Dirk and Kaman, I don't remember Araujo being this good of a post defender in the NBA.

I'm impressed with how good this Huertas is.