Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chicago Bulls Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   James Johnson is getting playing time! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206708)

Rose 01-27-2011 12:40 PM

James Johnson is getting playing time!

in the d-league

AOL Fanhouse reports: James Johnson is expected to be assigned to the NBA D-League's Iowa Energy on Thursday, according to a source.

The 16th pick in last year's draft has played in 12 games for the Bulls this season with his last being a Jan. 4 game against Toronto (3 minutes, no statistics).

This will be the first time the Bulls have made use of the D-League since the 2007-08 season when they sent Shannon Brown, Cedric Simmons, Demetris Nichols and JamesOn Curry down.

Get the full story at nba.fanhouse.com.

dee-rose 01-27-2011 01:56 PM

Re: James Johnson is getting playing time!

:) but also :(

Glide2keva 01-27-2011 02:20 PM

I remember JamesOn Curry. Sad to see him go.

Crystallas 01-28-2011 12:41 AM

Nick Nurse!

I hope this isn't goodbye for JJ. He did win a game for us this year, nearly single-handedly at that! Thibs doesn't have the Head Coaching skills/staff chemistry to juggle prep, playbook, and development yet. I think if this was his 3rd year with a staff, JJ would have become a force.

Rose 01-28-2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas
Nick Nurse!

I hope this isn't goodbye for JJ. He did win a game for us this year, nearly single-handedly at that! Thibs doesn't have the Head Coaching skills/staff chemistry to juggle prep, playbook, and development yet. I think if this was his 3rd year with a staff, JJ would have become a force.

Agreed.

ljsbb27 01-30-2011 12:29 PM

This will be a positive experience for JJ.

First game with them he had a game high 28 points.

Hope when he gets called back Thibs gives him a shot.

jasonresno 01-30-2011 01:53 PM

Read an article on espn. Apparently they're going to call JJ back up in 8 games or so, when we're back at home.

nightprowler10 01-30-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonresno
Read an article on espn. Apparently they're going to call JJ back up in 8 games or so, when we're back at home.

Good to hear.

fknc 01-30-2011 02:47 PM

I think that best part is that JJ himself asked to be sent to the dleague. He wants to get better which is always a positive sign. He has looked great the first two games down there. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Crystallas 01-30-2011 05:54 PM

I dunno how many people are aware of NBA.com's free futurecast game streaming. It's actually not bad, no signup needed.

http://futurecast.nba.com/nbadl/console.jsp

Next game is Tuesday night. Every so often I'll watch some D-League, namely Nick Nurse, since he's on my radar(head coach of the Iowa Energy). But to see JJ in a few games will be some off-day entertainment as well.

Crystallas 02-01-2011 10:42 PM

So after watching the D-League game today, JJe's not even giving 100%, just sitting back and trying to get his teamates going. This characteristic bothers me. Hes better than this, but has little motivation to show his colors with the minutes that he's getting. I hope he takes this seriously and understands he is being graded on his performance here. D-League still counts, as far as his road goes.

His footing and positioning is by far better than everyone on the floor.
He's still fouling guys, but he's making the fouls count. Everyone had to earn their shots on the line.

He was out of place for a few minutes, and he totally lost his discipline going into the final stretch, which was bothersome because the Energy had a shot to win the game.

His final was 10/11/7/3/1 and it did look like he was trying to force a triple double at some point, rather than just take over the game.

If he can get motivated, Johnson would dominate everything in D-League. I'm still a fan of his, and hope he does well, but Bulls fans, don't hold your breath, it will take another few years to get James Johnson into a reliable role of any sorts. From then, he will be an excellent asset to any team.

jasonresno 02-01-2011 11:01 PM

That's a really cool link Crystallas, I'll have to check that out next time JJ is playing.

KelticForce1349 02-01-2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crystallas
So after watching the D-League game today, JJe's not even giving 100%, just sitting back and trying to get his teamates going. This characteristic bothers me. Hes better than this, but has little motivation to show his colors with the minutes that he's getting. I hope he takes this seriously and understands he is being graded on his performance here. D-League still counts, as far as his road goes.

His footing and positioning is by far better than everyone on the floor.
He's still fouling guys, but he's making the fouls count. Everyone had to earn their shots on the line.

He was out of place for a few minutes, and he totally lost his discipline going into the final stretch, which was bothersome because the Energy had a shot to win the game.

His final was 10/11/7/3/1 and it did look like he was trying to force a triple double at some point, rather than just take over the game.

If he can get motivated, Johnson would dominate everything in D-League. I'm still a fan of his, and hope he does well, but Bulls fans, don't hold your breath, it will take another few years to get James Johnson into a reliable role of any sorts. From then, he will be an excellent asset to any team.

I think it is in the Jamal Crawford thread that you mentioned the Bulls buying high and selling low, and the Bulls giving up too soon on certain players. I think that sentiment could easily apply to a player like a JJ. He may very well be one of those guys that gets traded and then finds his drive to play the best Basketball he can play.

I don't want the Bulls to give up on JJ just yet, and I assume you would agree? JJ doesn't wow me in any one particular fashion, but I believe that is due to the fact that he will have more of an overall game impact rather just points or whatever. I also feel that with JJ's size and martial arts background he will be a vital enforcer for any team through his career.

If there was an awesome trade that included JJ that was just too good to turn down...ok, do it. I can and want to wait and give JJ the time to develop his maturity as both a person and as a Basketball player.

Crystallas 02-02-2011 03:04 AM

Oh, I definately wouldn't give up on JJ anytime soon.

JJ is on the table for any trade that will help this team win a title. Right now, the Bulls are respected as a team about to reach elite status(something that is only earned in the playoffs), making it hard for any teams out there to want to HELP make us better. Therefore, I see JJ in a Bulls uniform for the next few years, pending he doesn't screw it up himself.