Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=279286)

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 08:38 PM

Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Meeks, Kobe, Ebanks, Jamison, Hill

is a bench I would like to have. Then they can sign some scrub starter that all he can do is hit three's/ and or play defense. They should do it like the Manu or Harden thing.

RRR3 10-23-2012 08:40 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 

KG215 10-23-2012 08:45 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
No, but since Kobe is the best PG of the last decade, Steve Nash should move to the bench so Kobe can assume starting PG duties.

maybeshewill13 10-23-2012 08:45 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
No.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 08:45 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RRR3

So no? I guess LA's bench can just suffer while the starting offense has too many options.

kennethgriffin 10-23-2012 08:47 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
the funny thing about this joke troll thread is that kobe is one of the only people in the league to actually come out and publicly say he would retire before becoming a 6th man/ ring chasing/ or even averaging 18-19ppg


literally QUOTED

so the answer to this seemingly rhetorical question by an obvious ignoramus has already been answered by Kobe Bryant himself


/thread

kennethgriffin 10-23-2012 08:49 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
No, but since Kobe is the best PG of the last decade, Steve Nash should move to the bench so Kobe can assume starting PG duties.



maybe not best pg... but the most successful #1 play maker over the last decade


he was the main play maker and assist leader/ main ball handler for 5 would championship teams

drew more double teams than any play maker since magic johnson

:bowdown:

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 08:50 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
the funny thing about this joke troll thread is that kobe is one of the only people in the league to actually come out and publicly say he would retire before becoming a 6th man/ ring chasing/ or even averaging 18-19ppg


literally QUOTED

so the answer to this seemingly rhetorical question by an obvious ignoramus has already been answered by Kobe Bryant himself


/thread

I just want to see the Lakers win and currently I don't think it will happen. The bench is too awful. I'll place my bets down.

KG215 10-23-2012 08:52 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
maybe not best pg... but the most successful #1 play maker over the last decade


he was the main play maker and assist leader/ main ball handler for 5 would championship teams

drew more double teams than any play maker since magic johnson

:bowdown:

Yep....

Best Playmakers of All-Time:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Kobe Bryant

That should be the top 2 on anyone's list. No questions asked.

NumberSix 10-23-2012 08:53 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
For what? He's already secured his legacy. He doesn't need to desperately cling to a 6th man role.

arifgokcen 10-23-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
the funny thing about this joke troll thread is that kobe is one of the only people in the league to actually come out and publicly say he would retire before becoming a 6th man/ ring chasing/ or even averaging 18-19ppg


literally QUOTED

so the answer to this seemingly rhetorical question by an obvious ignoramus has already been answered by Kobe Bryant himself


/thread


+1
(even though kennethgriffin is a troll himself in this case he is right 100%. BTW i hate that idiom "one of the only".It sounds wrong even though its a well-established idiom)

RRR3 10-23-2012 08:54 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
Yep....

Best Playmakers of All-Time:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Kobe Bryant

That should be the top 2 on anyone's list. No questions asked.

How dare you not rank LAWD GAWDBE DA BLACK MAM-BEAN first?!?!?!?!? :mad: :mad: :mad:

He's also the GOAT Center, running back, shortstop, goalie, tightend, nascar driver, golfer, porn star, author, poet, rapper, first baseman and president ever.

KG215 10-23-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberSix
For what? He's already secured his legacy. He doesn't need to desperately cling to a 6th man role.


Yeah, but if Kobe selflessly went to the bench and won Sixth Man of the Year, that would definitely help his legacy. Adding another award to his already impressive resume? While a sixth ring would probably make him co-GOAT with Jordan, a Sixth Man of the Year award would probably bump him up to #4 or #5 all-time.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 08:56 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumberSix
For what? He's already secured his legacy. He doesn't need to desperately cling to a 6th man role.

How would that be being desperate? The starters obviously don't need him. Noone is denying is greatness. Manu is willing to accept that role even though he could average more. But he knows it is for the good of the team. I thought Kobe was willing to do what it takes to win? He did say that right? I wouldn't think any less of him if he lifted the bench into greatness. In fact it would make me feel much better about this season.

mehyaM24 10-23-2012 08:57 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
you know what's funny? i was thinking they should do (or have done) something like this in miami. sitting wade would benefit lebron and solidify the heats bench.

with the lakers? im not sure. they need all the scoring they can get. pau gasol and nash are shells of their former selves.

rhythmic †hesis 10-23-2012 09:00 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
I think Brown will have two of our stars on the floor at all times anyways...at least he should.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 09:01 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mehyaM24
you know what's funny? i was thinking they should do (or have done) something like this in miami. sitting wade would benefit lebron and solidify the heats bench.

with the lakers? im not sure. they need all the scoring they can get. pau gasol and nash are shells of their former selves.

I know it's just pre season but Nash looks in good form. I think with Howard they will compliment each other perfectly. I don't look for Nash to be a scorer. I just see him making Howard absolutely unstoppable. This is a guy who made Gortat appear relevant just last year. And now he is playing with Super Man.

fsvr54 10-23-2012 09:02 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
Yep....

Best Playmakers of All-Time:

1. Magic Johnson
2. Kobe Bryant

That should be the top 2 on anyone's list. No questions asked.


:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

rhythmic †hesis 10-23-2012 09:03 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
I know it's just pre season but Nash looks in good form. I think with Howard they will compliment each other perfectly. I don't look for Nash to be a scorer. I just see him making Howard absolutely unstoppable. This is a guy who made Gortat appear relevant just last year. And now he is playing with Super Man.


I'd like Brown to run more plays for Nash, and not the other way around. We need to utilize his shooting ability more, he's by far our best shooter. 4-5 shot attempts per game isn't going to cut it.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 09:05 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
I really made a serious thread. I wouldn't have made it if LA's bench was amazing or something. It is a sad day when LA's bench is gonna miss Matt Barnes. When have Nash's teams lacked scoring when he is on the court? That has always been the Sun's problem is the moment the bench comes on it is a 15 point swing. This has already happened to them even though it's pre season. It will be a trend. The bench is terrible.

rhythmic †hesis 10-23-2012 09:08 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
I really made a serious thread. I wouldn't have made it if LA's bench was amazing or something. It is a sad day when LA's bench is gonna miss Matt Barnes. When have Nash's teams lacked scoring when he is on the court? That has always been the Sun's problem is the moment the bench comes on it is a 15 point swing. This has already happened to them even though it's pre season. It will be a trend. The bench is terrible.


It would make more sense to have Nash as the 6th man. He's the perfect player to have around a bunch of mediocre players. They can utilize his talents far better. Let Kobe be the playmaker for Howard & Gasol mostly, and then always have either Pau or Dwight on the floor with Nash and the bench mob.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 09:11 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmic †hesis
It would make more sense to have Nash as the 6th man. He's the perfect player to have around a bunch of mediocre players. They can utilize his talents far better. Let Kobe be the playmaker for Howard & Gasol mostly, and then always have either Pau or Dwight on the floor with Nash and the bench mob.

Really? You would rather have Kobe and Howard pick and roll over Nash? Kobe is one of the best players of all-time at making a shot for himself. Those bench players can't be saved by old man Nash.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 09:19 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
I just don't want to hear any of you crying when the bench blows regular season games for LA and makes them a 3 or 4th seed and they end up losing to OKC without HCA.

rhythmic †hesis 10-23-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
Really? You would rather have Kobe and Howard pick and roll over Nash? Kobe is one of the best players of all-time at making a shot for himself. Those bench players can't be saved by old man Nash.


It's just your perspective, and I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
I just think Nash would embrace that role far better then Kobe would. Nash would get the bench involved far more and therefore increase their confidence. Kobe would most likely create shots for himself and neglect the role players far more then Nash would.

Do you see what I'm saying?
Nash could still play with Howard 20+ minutes even if he comes off the bench. Howard when healthy could easily play 40 MPG.

Pushxx 10-23-2012 09:22 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
If they had someone good enough to "hit three's/ and or play defense" and start, why wouldn't they just put him on the bench anyway?

bdreason 10-23-2012 09:30 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
No.

Rubio2Gasol 10-23-2012 09:44 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
I know this Kennethgriffin dude is ridiculous but before Kobe became obsessed with being THE GUY he was a fantastic play maker to watch.

The nature of that team was somewhat you had to run plays for Shaq so that kind of limited what he did but when he got to run the game it was brilliant.

Cut's , drives , horizontal spins from the post making quick reads and getting the ball to shooters .Was a joy to watch.

There's a difference between play maker and point guard ,Kobe was never one to control tempo or even really handle the ball economically but he knew how to use it if he got it in his spots.

I was actually kind of hoping that now he could get back to doing just that somewhat, instead of the scoring ball he's been playing for the last 8 or so years.

It won't make him better statistically but if he can get it in the right areas and attack from there it would sure as hell be better.

Nash may actually do a decent job running the bench.

Guys like Hill and Ebanks cut hard and he'll likely have either Pau or Dwight at any point in time....and he has his shooter in Meeks as well. More importantly he won't need to run simple handoffs to Kobe or Dwight which really isn't his game.

Dictator 10-23-2012 09:50 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
You guys are actually taking this troll serious?

longtime lurker 10-23-2012 09:50 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Will the OP ever stop posting garbage?

tpols 10-23-2012 09:52 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Kobe won't even settle for 2th man fvck 6th.

pauk 10-23-2012 10:17 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Hell no, he said it himself... the day he has to even consider it he would rather retire..

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 10:51 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauk
Hell no, he said it himself... the day he has to even consider it he would rather retire..

I doubt he said that any time recently. His tone recently sounds like he is willing to do whatever it takes to win a 6th ring. I would rather have Kobe Bryant's scoring off the bench then how good Nash could make those players. I just don't see it really. They make Gortat seem like a god. I mean Ebanks really? I wouldn't mind Kobe being in the starting rotation if the bench issues were fixed. But something needs to be done. Nash and Howard is pretty much the only combo that matters. Howard is like an Amare that plays defense and rebounds. Kobe doesn't need Nash to make his shot for him. He can light up anyone at any given time. Even more so if he is going up against bench players. He would probably score like 24 a game on 65% shooting.

coin24 10-23-2012 10:58 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Why the fu*k would you have the leagues 2nd leading scorer come off the bench?:lol
He's arguably still the games best sg. Wade was shit and injured last year! ( in b4 butthurt heat stans cry about that!)

The way he plays he can still be a dominant force for years..

HorryIsMyMVP 10-23-2012 11:01 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by coin24
Why the fu*k would you have the leagues 2nd leading scorer come off the bench?:lol
He's arguably still the games best sg. Wade was shit and injured last year! ( in b4 butthurt heat stans cry about that!)

The way he plays he can still be a dominant force for years..

Yes but it's the situation and to benefit the TEAM. The bench struggles to SCORE. So they need the league's 2nd leading SCORER.

TheWINdyCity 10-23-2012 11:21 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fsvr54
:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:


Someone's not in on the joke apparently :D

TheBigVeto 10-23-2012 11:25 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HorryIsMyMVP
Meeks, Kobe, Ebanks, Jamison, Hill

is a bench I would like to have. Then they can sign some scrub starter that all he can do is hit three's/ and or play defense. They should do it like the Manu or Harden thing.


LOL, only if they changed the rule to have 6 instead of 5 players on the court.

stickfigure87 10-23-2012 11:55 PM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
i don't think this is a bad idea.

gasol is too good to be a 4th option. also, as much as i like kobe, the guy breaks offensive flow (generally because we've had no pg and he was going iso/scorer mode all day).

kobe + gasol/howard + jamison would feast on the 2nd unit.

he could still be in the 4th, but it makes no sense to have all that offensive firepower in the first unit when there's only one ball. then, to give up every lead cause no one on the second unit can do anything to put the ball in the bucket.

6th man doesn't mean 6th best player.

Levity 10-24-2012 12:23 AM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
How is the concept of resting 1 or 2 of your starters early, so that they can run with the bench, lost with ISH posters? ... and Mike Brown, for that matter.

I<3NBA 10-24-2012 07:04 AM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Nash would be better suited running the 2nd unit than Kobe. Nash and Gasol in the 2nd unit and Kobe Dwight in the first. Lakers would suffer no drop off and would blow teams out like crazy.

HorryIsMyMVP 10-24-2012 07:41 AM

Re: Would Kobe be willing to be a 6th man?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stickfigure87
i don't think this is a bad idea.

gasol is too good to be a 4th option. also, as much as i like kobe, the guy breaks offensive flow (generally because we've had no pg and he was going iso/scorer mode all day).

kobe + gasol/howard + jamison would feast on the 2nd unit.

he could still be in the 4th, but it makes no sense to have all that offensive firepower in the first unit when there's only one ball. then, to give up every lead cause no one on the second unit can do anything to put the ball in the bucket.

6th man doesn't mean 6th best player.

Exactly.I want Kobe to come off the bench because I know he can create his OWN shot better then anyone in the NBA. He doesn't need Nash to create for him. He actually prefers them contested. And the kind of guy he likes to pass to are players like Jamison who can hit the 3. I don't think Nash could generate enough scoring off the bench. He isn't the type who likes to score. He would keep passing to the worst players of that terrible bench and it would be like he was in PHX last year. It would be hard to watch.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy