Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Games with best storylines (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101576)

MTing 08-30-2008 08:37 PM

Games with best storylines

Storylines are a huge part in todays videogames. Which game's stories want you to come back for more?

My favorites are (No order):
(Whole series)

(Never got to play the other Final Fantasies. I mainly just played 7)

(Whole series)

(Whole series)

I know Im missing some..

Skywalker 08-30-2008 08:55 PM

Re: Games with best storylines

Zelda is so legendary and it's storylines are the biggest component of that. What a gifted person whoever came up with that series must be.

kaiteng 08-30-2008 09:00 PM

Final Fantasy 6 storyline is one of the best I've ever played.

v-unit 08-30-2008 10:40 PM

Grand Theft Auto 3: Liberty City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Vice City was nice too, but those two games are in a league of their own.

Richie2k6 08-30-2008 10:45 PM

Metal Gear Solid (who series, MGS3 to be exact) and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time have always had the best 2 stories in my opinion.

J_Rock3ts 08-30-2008 10:49 PM

Ocarina of Time, ftw.

teleport 08-30-2008 10:55 PM

i loved the final fantasy x storyline and skies of arcadia

MTing 08-30-2008 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-unit
Grand Theft Auto 3: Liberty City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Vice City was nice too, but those two games are in a league of their own.

Ahh yea there we go.
I knew I was forgetting a big one

Killer_Instinct 08-30-2008 11:47 PM

I really like Knights of The Old Republic storyline. Chrono Cross for the PSOne was also interesting. GTA 4, despite its dissapointing repetiveness, had a great storyline.

El Kabong 08-31-2008 01:39 AM

Dues Ex

Mathius 08-31-2008 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie2k6
Metal Gear Solid (who series, MGS3 to be exact) and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time have always had the best 2 stories in my opinion.

I give Zelda the complete edge. MGS was good, but MGS2 ruined the series for me. The scenes were too long and convoluted. I really wasn't sure what was going on by the end of it, and I think they meant that deliberately.

I always wanted to write some Zelda novels, but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Do you write a few chapters and submit it to Nintendo to try and get the rights? Do you write Nintendo first? With no previous storytelling experience, how do you convince them you're good enough. Whatever...

I don't know how anyone can name a Final Fantasy game here. The storylines are so convoluted with japanese style fantasy elements like Gaia, etc. along with bits of mythology thrown in for good measure. Most of the stories are so out there.

San Andreas was a good game, but the storyline was so basic, and definitely served more to keep the different missions moving than anything else. Nothing fundementally great about them. Some good comedic relief is about all.

The Legacy of Kain series is definitely right up there with Zelda. Again I give Zelda the edge, because A. the LOK series isn't finished. B. the LOK series takes some twists into some subplots that make you go, 'huh' ? until you get further ahead... and even the end includes some paradox's you just don't understand. I remember debating the story for a good 25 pages on a GameFaqs board, as people argued whether or not Raziel would be back.

Mathius

Heretik32 08-31-2008 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
MGS was good, but MGS2 ruined the series for me. The scenes were too long and convoluted. I really wasn't sure what was going on by the end of it, and I think they meant that deliberately.

Never play MGS4 then. Its cut szenes are a mixture of ridicule and sheer boredom for anyone with half a brain.

Best storylines imho are in KOTOR, Fahrenheit and PS:Torrent.

Get outta here with your kiddie stuff like Final Fantasy. That's stories kept simple enough for eight year olds peppered up with villains and heroes that are so superficially "cool" it makes me want to puke.

LJJ 08-31-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Zelda is so legendary and it's storylines are the biggest component of that. What a gifted person whoever came up with that series must be.

And the dude came up with Mario too. Genius.

I always love the crazy Japanese storylines. I really loved the one in Baten Kaitos. The first Lunars where pretty good too. Half-life deserves a mention.

gasolina 08-31-2008 02:01 PM

Crono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. :cheers:

Sonic R 08-31-2008 02:34 PM

Some of the ones I liked…

Xenogears — This is a game where the storyline is actually better than the game play mechanics.

Grandia II — It really captivated me :confusedshrug: Game Arts seem to do well here…

Phantasy Star II — before that whole Aeris thing… their was Nei… and also destruction of a whole planet that was key in the first game… oh Phantasy Star II came out in 1989 btw

Panzer Dragoon Saga — really short game (about 30 hours) and not too difficult, its worth playing for its storyline… I have played this through 3 time now and am thinking of going for a 4th soon - like re-reading a good book.

Dragon Quest VIII — I was really drawn into the story though its not the greatest but the game play balances it out…

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time — pretty interesting story line I guess. I had enjoyment going throug this game… I really had a warm feeling when I finally made it to Aquios…

Valkyrie Profile — the story is really sad and depressing… really riveting.

Other Hideo Kojima offerings:
Snatcher
Zone of the Enders

both have well thought out storylines…

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
The first Lunars where pretty good too.

Lunar: The Silver Star had a really nice story… Eternal Blue was good but I really liked TSS better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gasolina
Crono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI. :cheers:

Chrono Trigger is indeed good

and…

Final Fantasy VI is THE BEST in the whole franchise.