Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sacramento Kings Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Can Kevin Martin become a top-tier NBA star (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101666)

insidehoops 09-01-2008 07:21 AM

Can Kevin Martin become a top-tier NBA star

Or will he basically be a scoring machine (which is great) but not someone that actually carries a team like a top star often does

beasted86 09-01-2008 03:07 PM

Re: Can Kevin Martin become a top-tier NBA star

He's a star, but not a superstar. He can't carry a team all by himself to a winning record, let alone playoffs, he needs help.

He's similar to Corey Maggette, Michael Redd, Brandon Roy, Steven Jackson, Richard Jefferson type players. Guys who are in the 20-24 PPG group that are really good, but dont get much recognition since they play on weaker teams.

Playing on a bad team, to get real recognition you need to average over 25 points and atleast make it to the playoffs. Such as LeBron's early years, Iverson's early Sixers years, T-Macs Orlando years, etc... Even if the team got knocked out, basically the star was the main reason they even got to the playoffs.

Admiral 09-01-2008 07:44 PM

as much as i love the kid and having him on the kings, i agree, he can't really carry a team himself (though i don't think any one player should in the first place).

Maniak 09-04-2008 07:38 PM

He will become a top tier player. But his whole career will not be in Sac Town. I think that once he hits his prime, he will want to be traded to a contender team.

Good role for him could be Cleveland were he could act as LeBron Jr, and those 2 can win the chip no doubt.

He is a future all star and team USA player.

And I dont think hes a guy who can carry a team, more of a 2nd/3rd option

egghead 09-05-2008 12:04 AM

Top 5 SG I think

beasted86 09-05-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egghead
Top 5 SG I think

Lebron, Kobe, Wade, T-Mac, Iverson.... Sorry.

1~Gibson~1 09-05-2008 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beasted86
Lebron, Kobe, Wade, T-Mac, Iverson.... Sorry.

LeBron is a SF. and T-Mac is more of a Small Forward than a Shooting Guard even though he does play that position.

EricGordon23 09-08-2008 12:16 PM

He will average about 25 points this year but sadly they don't have a legit 2 option to work with until then he won't get the recognition he deserves.

gencbiba 10-18-2008 10:22 PM

I see him in his prime like Mitch Richmond. Yeah, he's gonna be a good scorer, but this squad ain't going anywhere.

We need defenders and blockers down low. Hawes is probably leaning towards the scoring more, which is why I shunned the Kings' pick.

Californiafan 10-19-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gencbiba
I see him in his prime like Mitch Richmond. Yeah, he's gonna be a good scorer, but this squad ain't going anywhere.

We need defenders and blockers down low. Hawes is probably leaning towards the scoring more, which is why I shunned the Kings' pick.

I agree with the comparison to Richmond.

brwnman 10-20-2008 02:31 AM

He is a great offensive scorer and is an above average defender. What he needs to get to the next level? Playmaking. He sorely lacks in this department. He is at a point, where he could points up at will, by either dropping the mid range J or slithering inside and drawing contact and getting to the line (one of the best in the game). The question remains to be answered, can he make his teammates better? So far, it's a no. While his offensive prowess have an impact on the game, his playmaking isn't at a level where he can make others better. I am not really sure if he'll ever get to the next level, but as it stands now, he is more of a second option on a championship contending team. He could be option 1B on a team where the second player is equivalent to him in talent but with different skill-set. A guy who can put up 18, 6 and 6 efficiently and create for others. That team must be defensively focused to be successful...

Kings_Alex 10-21-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gencbiba

we could have used a sean williams type of player...

3.2.1. 11-14-2008 06:20 PM

If he wants he can probably be one of the best 2nd options in the league. He's one of my favorite players in the NBA.