Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bargnani Will Make or Break the Raptors! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102696)

jrcp3 09-11-2008 09:42 PM

Bargnani Will Make or Break the Raptors!

This is the year for all you people who still have hopes for Bargnani ..... if he doesn't improve alot more from last year then he is considered a BIG TIME #1 overall pick BUST ..... he will MAKE or BREAK the raptors this year, we need 1 more 18ppg+ or around there Scorer and he has to be that guy .... if not we will lose and he proves to us that he sucks and BC made a BIG TIME mistake ....

Zalendar 09-11-2008 10:15 PM

Re: Bargnani Will Make or Break the Raptors!

I disagree, the Raps don't need 3 18+ ppg players. Having 2 and a few players that are going to score in the 10-16ppg range is sufficient.

Last year their second highest scorer had 12ppg, so with 2 in the 18+ range this year, not to mention at least 3 others (Parker, Calderon and Bargnani) over 10ppg will make the offence pretty solid.

The defense should be improved this year as well.

I expect that Bargnani will score around 15ppg this year as first big off the bench.

danumber88 09-11-2008 10:37 PM

He's not a kwame, darko type of bust, i dont cal lhi ma bust, just not ready yet, i hope he has the same stroy as Dirk. That would be so badass if he contributes 11+ ppg off the bench shooting a high %.

Qwyjibo 09-11-2008 11:53 PM

Quote:

He's not a kwame, darko type of bust
To me he is exactly a Kwame-level bust. The few strengths each have are just in different aspects. Kwame was younger, a better defensive player and rebounder. Bargnani is a better offensive player. But after 2 years, both have been near useless.

And the only way Bargnani will make or break the Raptors is in terms of what the Raptors trade him for. He clearly has no future in Toronto. He will never be an effective C and will never displace Bosh at PF. Even if he turns into a solid player, why keep him and not address the holes on the wings?

haterofhaters 09-12-2008 12:20 AM

Bargnani isn't making or breaking anyone. This isn't a situation where they brought the guy in to be the franchise player. Bosh is the clear undisputed main guy on the team, and will be for awhile considering he's only a year older than Bargs. His level of contributon could be a pretty big factor but not a make or break factor. There's more pressure on JO in that regard to be the make or break guy.

out|hoops|side 09-12-2008 02:46 AM

I don't think Bargnani is a bust, he has been here only 2 years!!! Give him a bit more time. He has not done that badly to be considered a bust of Kwame-levels at all! Two years and you guys are already demanding this? I figure this will be his year to shine, then if he doesn't we punt him. But he has average about 10.5 ppg over 2 years, that's not too bad. Cut him a little slack.

RAPSCANWIN 09-12-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
To me he is exactly a Kwame-level bust. The few strengths each have are just in different aspects. Kwame was younger, a better defensive player and rebounder. Bargnani is a better offensive player. But after 2 years, both have been near useless.

And the only way Bargnani will make or break the Raptors is in terms of what the Raptors trade him for. He clearly has no future in Toronto. He will never be an effective C and will never displace Bosh at PF. Even if he turns into a solid player, why keep him and not address the holes on the wings?

Although I think your being a little hard on him comparing to Kwame. I do agree that he'd be better served as trade bait for a top 15 SG or SF.

Myself, Im willing to give Bargs til Christmas, If he's not vastly improved by then, Id trade him for sure.

Why? cause the time is now for the Raps.

b4ball 09-12-2008 11:54 AM

Bargnani is not a make or break for the Raptors. And I think he deserves more time. I agree with RAPSCANWIN that by christmas we should know what we have, a player worth keeping because of the special skills and talent he has or a player to use to fill a gap.

Q, Kwame has had a lot more time to under-develope then Bargnani has had. I know you don't like him, much as I was not a TJ fan to the dismay of many people here, but I think Bargs deserves more time. It's not like he's a locker room cancer. Remember when he got his ass knocked to the floor (I can't remember who we were playing), he took a hard hit to the head. It took a couple minutes to get off the floor, everybody thought he was coming out of the game, but he get's up and makes the two free throws.

The kids been learning, very tough year last year, but I remain hopefull because of what I've seen. Of course I have to forget that he was number 1 overall pick.

Qwyjibo 09-12-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Q, Kwame has had a lot more time to under-develope then Bargnani has had.
I don't really see how that's true when looking at their first 2 years. Bargnani came into the league with far better experience than Brown (who was also 2 years younger). Bargnani played solid minutes for a pro team in Europe while Brown was just coming out of high school. Brown played 14 minutes and 22 minutes per game in his first 2 years.

Considering everything, Bargnani SHOULD be miles ahead of Brown when comparing their progress after 2 years but that isn't near the case. That's why I think it's fair to lump Bargnani in with Brown at the moment.

power works 09-12-2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrcp3
This is the year for all you people who still have hopes for Bargnani ..... if he doesn't improve alot more from last year then he is considered a BIG TIME #1 overall pick BUST ..... he will MAKE or BREAK the raptors this year, we need 1 more 18ppg+ or around there Scorer and he has to be that guy .... if not we will lose and he proves to us that he sucks and BC made a BIG TIME mistake ....

I wouldn't say he's gonna make or break the team.

To be more precise, I'd say even if Bargs played like last year, Raptors are still a 45-48 win team (assuming JO works out).

Bargs playing great --- like a 15+ ppg player, consistently solid 6th man, would make Raptors a 50-55 win team. An elite team.

Even if he sucked this year, nobody is as bad as Kwame. :oldlol:

jrcp3 09-12-2008 03:50 PM

You Guys Are All Dumb ..... He Was A First Overall Pick, You Are Excepted To Be The Best Thats Why You Are Chosen First Overall .... If You Can Live Up To The Hype You Are Considered A Bust ..... And Bargs By No Means Is Living Up To The First Overall Pick ..... I Hate Ppl Who Say " He Wasn't Suspose To Be A Superstar Or Allstar " Then We Should Of Traded The First Over All Pick ..... Just Think Guys Who Have Been Taken First Overall ..... Just Think ..... There Are More Superstars First Overall Then Bust First Overall .....

Jballer 09-12-2008 04:09 PM

A first overall pick is meant to transform a team.

Barges has not done that.

Barges may/will yet grow into a productive player; but by the standards of a 1st overall he may never meet that much hype.

There have been lots of 1st overalls that never panned out in every sport.

Nor will Barges make or break the Raps this year.

He could be the difference between a deep run into the plays off or "on the a bubble 1 round and out" type of season.

However if he plays 30 minutes + - rotating thru 3-4-5 and adding points plus 6 - 8 rb per game... the Raptors will have too many threats for most teams to handle ; not to mention size.

Good match ups.

I look for Barges to demonstrate significant improvement with some cleaner outside looks for shots (when playing 3-4 in rotation)

YaoMing4MVP 09-12-2008 07:14 PM

I agree, in order to make or break a team, you have to be good enough. This year, JO is either going to make or break the team. If JO suck, then it's all down to Bosh, and we all know that you can't be competitive with just one legitimate allstar, you need at least 2. Heck, Boston did it with 3.

AB will be alright. 6th man coming off the bench maybe? Not all 1st pick develops into allstars.

Zan Tabak 09-12-2008 10:30 PM

I wouldn't expect Barg's to improve his offense so much ..but I think he's going to improve the intangibles of his game, and that's all the Raps really need him too do, for this year. Go after loose balls , play good defense (without getting into foul trouble) , be aggressive on the glass, just be a solid player!

Anyone that thinks Bargnani is going to turn into a superstar over night is kidding themselves . We're looking 2 to 3 years down the road before we see his potential.

YaoMing4MVP 09-12-2008 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
I wouldn't expect Barg's to improve his offense so much ..but I think he's going to improve the intangibles of his game, and that's all the Raps really need him too do, for this year. Go after loose balls , play good defense (without getting into foul trouble) , be aggressive on the glass, just be a solid player!

Anyone that thinks Bargnani is going to turn into a superstar over night is kidding themselves . We're looking 2 to 3 years down the road before we see his potential.

exactly, i wouldn't write him off either. However, if he is consitently getting 10 pts, 6rbs, and shooting .500 night in and night out, i'd say that's pretty successful. not all 1st picks turn into superstars.