Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Orleans Pelicans Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   So Peja Stojakovic at the two, Desmond Mason at the three? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10384)

insidehoops 09-05-2006 08:34 PM

So Peja Stojakovic at the two, Desmond Mason at the three?

Obviously they'll switch on defense.

Is that the plan right now, peja a SG?

butch mcrae 09-07-2006 01:52 AM

That's what I've been reading. I like the idea as far as positioning is concerned, but that all depends on how they implement it. Mason's offensive abilities are more catered for the sf position. Using Peja at the 2 will cause defensive problems for the other team as it opens up the middle. Mason's talents could be maximized b/c of this. This also helps West because the defense couldn't collapse down on him with Peja waiting on the perimeter. The difficult thing would be getting stops on transition defense against fast teams.

bigboi_baller 09-07-2006 07:27 PM

peja at the 2spot won't cause a major defensive problem for other teams. The only issue would be his height and that is solved by having your 2gaurd play desmond and your sf play peja. Peja just runs around screens and shoots so strength is not an issue. Only thing that could be an issue is height expecially with peja's unorthodox shot.

butch mcrae 09-07-2006 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
peja at the 2spot won't cause a major defensive problem for other teams. The only issue would be his height and that is solved by having your 2gaurd play desmond and your sf play peja. Peja just runs around screens and shoots so strength is not an issue. Only thing that could be an issue is height expecially with peja's unorthodox shot.

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I didn't mean Peja's size or strength (or lack thereof) would cause matchup problems. I am talking about team defensive problems, not iso situations. Placing peja at the 2 will have whoever guarding him not being able to leave him an inch of extra space to help on a penetrating paul or helping on a david west. Peja won't need to swing around picks on this team. Paul will give him space.

So the problem teams will have is to make the correct choice at a crucial point in time. Once Paul blows by his man which he can and will, he has a choice of a highflying mason waiting by his side, a pure shooter outside on the perimeter in peja, a very good post presence in a david west, or a chandler, who's only offensive skill is dunking and paul can set that up, all depending on who collapses on him. With that many different type of weapons, you create so much space that the opponent's team defensive timing has to be precise and your switching and defensive motion pretty much has to be perfect. That is not easy. One mistake is all it takes. Their gameplay is similar to the suns, but they won't just rely on shooters, they have an arsenal at their disposal, not to mention, a very solid bench. Byron Scott is a very heady coach, if anybody can make them execute it, it will be him, and when you have a likes of a chris paul, execution won't be too hard.

PacerRaptor 09-08-2006 05:53 PM

i think Peja will be at the 3, i dont think hes a good SG. A SG also needs to be a good ball handler, for when the defense shows a trap, the SG will have to bring the ball up, and for that reason i dont think peja can hand the ball very well, so hes better off at the 3 spot, and you'll be surprised on how good of a rebounder he is

bigboi_baller 09-09-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butch mcrae
Once Paul blows by his man which he can and will, he has a choice of a highflying mason waiting by his side, a pure shooter outside on the perimeter in peja, a very good post presence in a david west, or a chandler, who's only offensive skill is dunking and paul can set that up, all depending on who collapses on him

that is exactly why I want to watch all the hornets games I can this season. This team will be great to watch.

mariodeathgrip 09-12-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidehoops
Obviously they'll switch on defense.

Is that the plan right now, peja a SG?

If Peja stays healthy and is able too keep up on D' then this is a great idea. I was one of the Lakers hoping for a Peja Trade to LA, but hearing how he was hurt, and slowing down. I thougt he was done, but after he signed with NO. And they want him to play sg, I guess I was wrong.
C-T.Chandler/Hilton Armstrong
PF-D.West/Cedric Simmons
SF-D.Mason/Linton Johnson
SG-P.Stojakovic/Rasual Butler
PG-C.Paul/Bobby Jackson/J. Pargo

wally_world 09-16-2006 07:31 AM

Peja a little too tall for SG??? he's long... make use of that... i prefer Butler starting...

lakerfreak 09-17-2006 01:23 AM

Peja will shoot much better considering most SG's are shorter than him.

but yeah I think defensively they will switch it up.

mariodeathgrip 09-17-2006 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
If Peja stays healthy and is able too keep up on D' then this is a great idea. I was one of the Laker's hoping for a Peja Trade to LA, but hearing how he was hurt, and slowing down. I thought he was done, but after he signed with NO. And they want him to play sg, I guess I was wrong.
C-T.Chandler/Hilton Armstrong
PF-D.West/Cedric Simmons
SF-D.Mason/Linton Johnson
SG-P.Stojakovic/Rasual Butler
PG-C.Paul/Bobby Jackson/J. Pargo

I'm sorry I been looking stats, and reading all the info, on the team. I don't think they will make the play-off. Not only that, I'm thinking lottery next year.
But this will be a fun team to watch, they will lose most games, but they will be close loses. Maybe in a year or two, they will be a great team.

funkylikemonkey 09-17-2006 04:25 PM

I'm sure it could be done, I'm just not used to seeing it.

BullsBigMan29 09-20-2006 07:22 PM

Peja should stick to small forward. But then again Toni Kukoc pulled off playing shooting guard and point guard for the Bulls. So why not?

I agree Rasual Buttler should be starting next to Chris Paul, but what about Dameon Mason at shooting guard?