Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Grinder's Early Mock Draft (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111882)

Grinder 12-04-2008 06:36 PM

Grinder's Early Mock Draft

Now that we have an idea of who the bad teams are shaping out to be and seen all the major college prospects, I can start to make a mock draft that may be somewhat accurate.

1. Kings - Blake Griffin (Oklahoma; PF)

2. Wizards - Ricky Rubio (DKV Joventut; PG)

3. Clippers - Hasheem Thabeet (Connecticut; C)

4. Thunder - James Harden (Arizona State; SG)

5. Timberwolves - Demar Derozan (Southern California; SG/SF)

6. Grizzlies - Jordan Hill (Arizona; PF)

7. Warriors - Brandon Jennings (Lottomatica Roma; PG)

8. Knicks - Stephen Curry (Davidson; PG/SG)

9. Raptors - Tyreke Evans (Memphis; PG/SG)

10. Bucks - Earl Clark (Louisville; SF/PF)

11. Nets - James Johnson (Wake Forest; SF/PF)

12. Bobcats - Gerald Henderson (Duke; SG/SF)

13. Pacers - Terrence Williams (Louisville; SG/SF)

14. Suns - Jonny Flynn (Syracuse; PG)

15. Pistons - Tywon Lawson (North Carolina; PG)

16. Bulls - Dejaun Blair (Pittsburgh; PF)

17. 76ers - Jeff Teague (Wake Forst; PG)

18. Timberwolves - Eric Maynor (Virginia Commonwealth; PG)

19. Hawks - Omri Casspi (Maccabi Tel Aviv; SF)

20. Jazz - Jrue Holiday (UCLA; PG/SG)

21. Hornets - BJ Mullens (Ohio State; C)

22. Mavericks - Jermaine Taylor (Central Florida; SG)

23. Kings - Darren Collison (UCLA; PG)

24. Trailblazers - Tyler Hansbrough (North Carolina; PF)

25. Thunder - Sam Young (Pittsburgh; SF)

26. Bulls - Chase Budinger (Arizona; SG/SF)

27. Grizzlies - Toney Dougles (Florida State; PG/SG)

28. Timberwolves - Gani Lawal (Georgia Tech; PF)

29. Lakers - Nick Calathes (Florida; PG/SG)

30. Cavaliers - Dajuan Summers (Georgetown; SF)

monthh 12-05-2008 12:29 AM

Re: Grinder's Early Mock Draft

The only thing that I think is way off in your draft is Lawson. He is more likely to be the 7th pick in the 2nd round than the 1st round. Other than that I think it is pretty good.

One thing I am thinking is that Arenas and Haywood could be on their way out making Thabeet, Rubio, and Jennings possible picks as well. Harden would also be on the map since Stevenson won't be in their long-term plans. An Arenas/Harden backcourt would be fun to watch, but I don't know how many wins that gets them.

I would like to see the Grizzlies get Thabett, though. Jefferson, Love, and Thabeet up front would be a winning combo in my opinion, however I don't think Love would stay on the bench past his rookie contract.

I also agree with your assesment that a lot of teams are already full of very talented young players. I don't know if a huge shift in power is coming, led by the Blazers, but there are a lot of teams with starting lineups of talent young players. It should be interesting to see if some older teams (Spurs, Suns, Mavs come to mind) can somehow take advantage of the fact the bad teams in the NBA may want a couple proven vets instead of another rookie, and grab a young stud.

Jalen5 12-05-2008 02:21 AM

I question Brandon Jennings #5, he's avg atm under 4 pts a game, around 3 ast playing 17mins on avg over at euro. Maybe he will play better in US who knows.

Bimbo Coles 12-05-2008 03:35 AM

I love Blake Griffin and thatís it. It looks like a poor draft after that. NBA talent scouts seem to always get it wrong anyway so I wouldnít go on their projections. Most of these guys donít have the game and never will. Guys like Rubio and DeRozan (Iíd prefer Gibson) are nowhere near ready for the rigours of the NBA and I doubt that they will ever be. Thabeet is overrated. He wouldnít have cracked top 10 last year and he probably would have only been another option to a guy like Roy Hibbert (IMO the better of the two). Iím big on Lawson and Hansbrough; they will be steals because you know they will be taken outside the top 10 and they will certainly show up most, if not all, of the higher picks. Damion James and Sam Young are preparing to tip the whole thing on its head because they are NBA ready right now. It will be highway robbery for whoever picks either of them up.

b.jerk 12-05-2008 07:00 AM

The Grizziles organization is too cheap to be "the next blazers"

Dasher 12-05-2008 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalen5
I question Brandon Jennings #5, he's avg atm under 4 pts a game, around 3 ast playing 17mins on avg over at euro. Maybe he will play better in US who knows.

3 ast in Europe translates to about 8 or 9 in the states. Jennings is essentially averaging 8 assists in 17 minutes. He is having a tough time shooting, but he is making plays. He will be a better pick and roll PG in the NBA than Ricky because of his crazy speed. The issues Brandon is having are strength related, he has to bulk up. He is also in a bad shooting slump.

Harden would represent a duplication of strengths with Nick Young. The Wiz would be better served to drafting another big, or a playmaking guard to compliment Arenas.

tbp82 12-05-2008 10:34 AM

3. Ricky Rubio (Grizzlies) - very iffy if Ricky will declare or not, but Mike Conley has sucked in Memphis is Ricky should be the last and final piece needed to make a beastly, young starting lineup for the future in Memphis. Rubio, Mayo, Gay, Arthur, Gasol - could be the next Blazers.

This might be the worst pick/post I have ever seen. The Grizzlies have Conley, Critteton, and Lowry not to mention that Mayo can play the point and you have them taking Rubio. Okay maybe you are going with the best player available argument wait that's a joke to.........This gets worse Rubio the final piece ahahahahahaha okay I am being harsh here but the Grizzlies need help inside. You could make a strong case that out of the four big men in the Grizzlies rotation (Arthur, Gasol, Warrick, and Darko) only one is worthy to be a starter on any team and that is Gasol. The Grizzlies need to go big bad. There could be plenty of big men at #3 incluing Thabeet, Monroe, Mullens, Samuels, Daye. Any of those guys would be a better fit for the grizzlies. When the Grizzlies drafted Conley with Brandan Wright on the board I gave them the benefit of the doubt because Point Guards are important and the still had Pau Gasol. When the Grizzlies traded Gasol I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they were rebuilding. When they drafted Kevin Love with Anthony Randolph on the board I gave them the benefit of the doubt because Love was more NBA-Ready. When they traded Mike Miller and Kevin Love for Mayo even though they needed Miller's experiance and outside shooting and Love's rebounding I gave them the benefit of the doubt because Mayo is exciting and could help with ticket sales. IF the Grizzlies draft Rubio, Jennings, or Lawson and a big man is available they no longer get the benefit of the doubt you were right about one thing the Grizzlies need a final piece but it is a PF or Center not Poing Guard.

Grinder 12-05-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbp82
3. Ricky Rubio (Grizzlies) - very iffy if Ricky will declare or not, but Mike Conley has sucked in Memphis is Ricky should be the last and final piece needed to make a beastly, young starting lineup for the future in Memphis. Rubio, Mayo, Gay, Arthur, Gasol - could be the next Blazers.

This might be the worst pick/post I have ever seen. The Grizzlies have Conley, Critteton, and Lowry not to mention that Mayo can play the point and you have them taking Rubio. Okay maybe you are going with the best player available argument wait that's a joke to.........This gets worse Rubio the final piece ahahahahahaha okay I am being harsh here but the Grizzlies need help inside. You could make a strong case that out of the four big men in the Grizzlies rotation (Arthur, Gasol, Warrick, and Darko) only one is worthy to be a starter on any team and that is Gasol. The Grizzlies need to go big bad. There could be plenty of big men at #3 incluing Thabeet, Monroe, Mullens, Samuels, Daye. Any of those guys would be a better fit for the grizzlies. When the Grizzlies drafted Conley with Brandan Wright on the board I gave them the benefit of the doubt because Point Guards are important and the still had Pau Gasol. When the Grizzlies traded Gasol I gave them the benefit of the doubt because they were rebuilding. When they drafted Kevin Love with Anthony Randolph on the board I gave them the benefit of the doubt because Love was more NBA-Ready. When they traded Mike Miller and Kevin Love for Mayo even though they needed Miller's experiance and outside shooting and Love's rebounding I gave them the benefit of the doubt because Mayo is exciting and could help with ticket sales. IF the Grizzlies draft Rubio, Jennings, or Lawson and a big man is available they no longer get the benefit of the doubt you were right about one thing the Grizzlies need a final piece but it is a PF or Center not Poing Guard.

Nonsense.

1. OJ is a natural shooting guard, making him play the point will restrict his game in a big way.

2. Conley is a complete bust thus far and doesn't show any signs of improvement. Lowry can't shoot, and if Crittendon is your point guard of the future, then that's pretty damn sad.

3. How can you say whether or not Ricky is the best player available? What do you have to negate this?

4. Big men is one area where the Grizzlies are actually decent at, Marc Gasol looks to be a solid center for years to come and can't play anything other than center, Darrell Arthur is going to be a very good player in 2-3 years and Warrick is a solid 4 coming off the bench.

tbp82 12-05-2008 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinder
Nonsense.

1. OJ is a natural shooting guard, making him play the point will restrict his game in a big way.

2. Conley is a complete bust thus far and doesn't show any signs of improvement. Lowry can't shoot, and if Crittendon is your point guard of the future, then that's pretty damn sad.

3. How can you say whether or not Ricky is the best player available? What do you have to negate this?

4. Big men is one area where the Grizzlies are actually decent at, Marc Gasol looks to be a solid center for years to come and can't play anything other than center, Darrell Arthur is going to be a very good player in 2-3 years and Warrick is a solid 4 coming off the bench.

Nonsense again
1.)OJ is an undersized shooting guard. Who I think could play point
2.)Conley is not a complete bust he isn't Chris Paul but he ain't garbage.
3.)I admit it I have only seen Rubio a few times and from what I have seen to say he is better than Greg Monroe is laughable
4)I disagree 100% here big men is where the Grzzlies are weak I think Point Guard with Lowry, Conley, or Mayo they can get by. If Mayo isn't the point then he is okay at shooting guard (he could use a backup though) Gay is fine at small forward. Gasol and Arthur are not franchise big men and that is what The Grizzlies need.

We are going to have to agree to disagree here Grinder because I am one of those people who never think you pass on big men. If there is a great point guard and a great big man on the table you draft the big man everytime and I admit that could cause a Bogut over Paul or a Bowie over Jordan (shooting guard) but when I look back at the history of the NBA there have been far more franchise lead by big men winning rings than by teams with wings and points leading the way. Winning without a franchise big man is the exception winning with a franchise big man is the rule.

Posterize246 12-05-2008 02:46 PM

I see where the Rubio selection came in. Conley, Lowry, and Crittenton have all been in trade rumors. Mayo can play the point, but you won't get his best production at that position.

Grinder 12-05-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbp82
Nonsense again
1.)OJ is an undersized shooting guard. Who I think could play point
2.)Conley is not a complete bust he isn't Chris Paul but he ain't garbage.
3.)I admit it I have only seen Rubio a few times and from what I have seen to say he is better than Greg Monroe is laughable
4)I disagree 100% here big men is where the Grzzlies are weak I think Point Guard with Lowry, Conley, or Mayo they can get by. If Mayo isn't the point then he is okay at shooting guard (he could use a backup though) Gay is fine at small forward. Gasol and Arthur are not franchise big men and that is what The Grizzlies need.

We are going to have to agree to disagree here Grinder because I am one of those people who never think you pass on big men. If there is a great point guard and a great big man on the table you draft the big man everytime and I admit that could cause a Bogut over Paul or a Bowie over Jordan (shooting guard) but when I look back at the history of the NBA there have been far more franchise lead by big men winning rings than by teams with wings and points leading the way. Winning without a franchise big man is the exception winning with a franchise big man is the rule.

Yep, we'll agree to disagree, I see your points but don't necessarily agree with them.

I don't think Monroe will declare this year, a lot of Georgetown big men usually stay for a couple years.

Victor Claver just broke his leg, so that'll probably drop him far on the board.

Monthh - Lawson was projected to be in the early 20s on this past draft before he pulled out because of his DUI, I think he can only improve his stock and he's been great this year.

So far this year, the player I've most been impressed by is James Harden, the dude can flat out score is already very complete.

monthh 12-06-2008 12:23 AM

Lawson's stock was really up in the air. Depending on who you listened to, he either played really well, or was outplayed by Lester Hudson. Either way, I really like him, and I think could be a good NBA player, especially off the bench to change the pace of the game, but I would be surprised if he went in the top 20. It is a weak PG draft so maybe (and I hope so), but I just don't think it is in the cards.

As for the Grizzlies, they are tough to pick for. They have potential studs at every position, except PG. I really, really liked Conley coming out of college, but he has not lived up to expectations. I think he could turn things around since PG tend to take more time to develop, but I don't know if Memphis will give him the chance to do that in Memphis. Lowry is decent, but if they could get an upgrade I think they take it.

BigOrangeBalls 12-21-2008 07:21 PM

I am looking at the draft from a fantasy perspective since I'm in a keeper league. Since my team was going nowhere and contracts were expiring I traded away a lot of guys for picks. I'd prefer guys that can contribute right away, but can wait til year #2 for production if need be. I may shy away from a project like Rubio, who may decide to stay overseas a year or two longer.

As of now I'd get these picks:

A pick falling 1-5 overall,
A pick 11-14,
A pick 15-18
Two picks between 19-26

My biggest need is at SF, but in general I"m looking to take the best players possible. I also like Curry a lot even if he is small. I actually do see him getting 20 ppg by his 3rd season, so I don't mind if NBA teams and Fantasy Drafters have their doubts. I have some doubt too. I wouldn't use my 1-5 pick on him, but as of right now until I see someone I can't pass up on, I'd use my 11-14 on him

Thanks,

Big Orange Balls

blazerjimmy 12-28-2008 12:59 PM

I can't see Charlotte taking another Zag - especially one who has so many question marks around his name......don't get me wrong, I like Austin Daye, but right now, he is just too hesitant......not sure if that's the right word - he's definitely a talent..........but I'm not convinced he will come out after his sophomore year.

Grinder 04-08-2009 11:12 AM

Updated with all 30 teams.