Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Clippers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Al Thornton (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112403)

ihatetimthomas 12-09-2008 12:47 PM

Al Thornton

37 mpg/16 ppg/5 rpg/1.6 apg/1 bpg

So how have you guys felt about Al this year? I for one am dissapointed in his productioin thus far. I think we all thought based off his rookie season that he would be more of a factor. He has been inconsistent and that may have a lot to do with the fact he is essentially a 3rd option, but I still had higher hopes for him. I would like to see him fill up the stats a bit more, rebound a bit better, pass a bit better. He looks the same to me as last year. I like the effort and his ability to get near the rim, but I dont see much improvement in his offensive game or defensive game. What are your thought?

ZeN 12-09-2008 01:53 PM

Re: Al Thornton

It is rather dissapointing to see Al being the same player as last season. I would have imagined that he would step up his game this season, but has only remained good, instead of becoming great.

He continues to rush everything on the court, and he makes the game difficult for himself by shooting difficult fade-aways and contested shots, instead of driving to the basket.

He plays as hard as the best of em'. However his issue is harnessing that energy, and focusing on letting the game come to him.

The great thing is that he is a hard worker and will continue to get better because of it. Hes had many 20 point games this season... but it needs to become a constant; rather than a every once in a while event.

Hopefully, once he becomes acclamated to playing with the 'new guys' he will gain a comfort zone, and regain the flow of the game; that he held last season.

hutcht02 12-09-2008 02:11 PM

I think Al's fine. I think we all went into the season expecting way too much out of him. Believe it or not, the SF position is probably in the worst position to get the ball offensively. We focus our offensive pressure down low on Randolph, Camby, and Kaman, and when it's not there we want Baron Davis to have it in his hands. Thornton's game requires less overload in the lane and getting more direct passes from Davis.

Actually, I'm a little surprised his production has stayed up this year. He had an awfully good rookie year in which he was often one of the focal points of our offense. This year, even though it's hard to believe, the guys around him are stronger and more dependable, so the fact that he's still playing at an even level with tougher circumstances is pretty good.

Plus, let's not overlook the improvements he's made on defense.

ihatetimthomas 12-09-2008 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hutcht02
I think Al's fine. I think we all went into the season expecting way too much out of him. Believe it or not, the SF position is probably in the worst position to get the ball offensively. We focus our offensive pressure down low on Randolph, Camby, and Kaman, and when it's not there we want Baron Davis to have it in his hands. Thornton's game requires less overload in the lane and getting more direct passes from Davis.

Actually, I'm a little surprised his production has stayed up this year. He had an awfully good rookie year in which he was often one of the focal points of our offense. This year, even though it's hard to believe, the guys around him are stronger and more dependable, so the fact that he's still playing at an even level with tougher circumstances is pretty good.

Plus, let's not overlook the improvements he's made on defense.

I guess I could see that. Less touches and less of a focal point. Just wish he worked on his outside jumper. Its decent, but still inconsistent. And I wouldve liked to see him develop longer range on his shot.

I guess I was spoiled by his nice rook season. Still though, not a fan of some of the shot selection he chooses. I would like to see him taking it hard to the hole rather than the spin fade away. Given the circumstances, he is doing OK. I was just hoping for more efficiency

qrich 12-10-2008 01:28 AM

When he's playing well, I'd say you have a legit argument of him being top 10 among SF's in the league. But sadly, that happens once every five games or so.

starface 12-10-2008 03:02 AM

kaman and thornton for gerald wallace and jared dudley

dab0yech0 12-10-2008 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starface
kaman and thornton for gerald wallace and jared dudley

First, we are not getting enough in return for what we are giving up.

Second, Thornton is a good player but his subpar ball handling really messes up his game. When he dribbles the ball his head is always down (and I thought Maggette had bad handles) and this causes him to go outta control. If his handles improved, Al would be able to use that along with his strength and athleticism to get where he wants.

ihatetimthomas 12-10-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dab0yech0

Second, Thornton is a good player but his subpar ball handling really messes up his game. When he dribbles the ball his head is always down (and I thought Maggette had bad handles) and this causes him to go outta control. If his handles improved, Al would be able to use that along with his strength and athleticism to get where he wants.

I agree, if Al had better ball handling, he would be in much better control. Sometimes, Al spins out of control and ends up taking an off-balanced fade away. Improved ball-handling would make him much more effective.

starface 12-11-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dab0yech0

thinking that giving up kaman and thornton for gerald wallace and jared dudley is too much is simply wishful thinking. you are letting the fact that thornton was a lottery pick and kaman sometimes puts up some decent but ultimately empty stats cloud your judgement. al thornton is already 25. his handles arent gonna improve. dude is in his prime right now. he's not getting any better. kaman is, what, 26. same with him, he has reached his ceiling. bottom line is that our team would be better right now with a two-way borderline allstar small forward in gerald wallace and a quality blue-collar reserve.

there arent gonna be many better offers for kaman and thornton than that. it doesnt matter what the trade looks like on paper. the trade helps the clippers, because we sure as hell arent getting anything from kaman and thornton that is translating in the win column. baron, marcus, and now zach are the only 3 guys who basically play their game on a nightly basis. for every good game kaman and thornton have they have about 2 or 3 stinkers.

randolph has already taken kaman's place and is playing better than him, and wallace over thornton is a no brainer.

qrich 12-11-2008 01:15 AM

Well, Dudley is gone, so that idea is moot now.

I'd love to do a Camby/Thornton/Rights to Sofo/next available 2nd for Mike Miller/Brewer/Smith

Yes, I'm aware Brewer is done for the year, but Miller/Novak/Ricky can hold down the three well enough. Playoffs are out of reach for this year, and Thornton is mad inconsistent.

Davis-Gordon-Miller-Randolph-Kaman
Taylor-Davis-Brewer-Davis-Skinner
Hart-Collins-Novak-Smith-Jordan

Seems solid, and with a high pick this year, plus a healthy Brewer, hopefully a new coach to boot, that could be a solid squad.

ihatetimthomas 12-11-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qrich
Well, Dudley is gone, so that idea is moot now.

I'd love to do a Camby/Thornton/Rights to Sofo/next available 2nd for Mike Miller/Brewer/Smith

Yes, I'm aware Brewer is done for the year, but Miller/Novak/Ricky can hold down the three well enough. Playoffs are out of reach for this year, and Thornton is mad inconsistent.

Davis-Gordon-Miller-Randolph-Kaman
Taylor-Davis-Brewer-Davis-Skinner
Hart-Collins-Novak-Smith-Jordan

Seems solid, and with a high pick this year, plus a healthy Brewer, hopefully a new coach to boot, that could be a solid squad.

I think Kaman is Superior to Camby, But I think Camby's game is more effective with Zach. Granted we havnt seen them play together yet, but based on their style, I think Cambys secondary defense and strength in offensive boards is more valuable than Kaman alongside Zach. But i do believe Mike would be a great player for this team, He would spread the court and he is an underrated defender.