Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dallas Mavericks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Anthony Johnson: Will Compete for Starting PG Job (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11502)

Milkman 09-20-2006 10:57 AM

Anthony Johnson: Will Compete for Starting PG Job

Quote:

Johnson is expected to compete with Devin Harris for the Mavericks' starting point guard spot, according to the Dallas Morning News. Coach Avery Johnson plans to move last year's starter, Jason Terry, to shooting guard permanently, opening a possible starting spot for Johnson.

and also:

Quote:

Coach Avery Johnson has plans to move Terry off the ball this season, according to the Dallas Morning News. Plans are to have Terry play permanently at the 2, with Devin Harris and Anthony Johnson sharing duties at the point guard spot.
From RotoWire.com

What are your thoughts on this?
Having both Terry and Harris on at the same time gives us a small lineup but the spurs series showed it can work.
Id much rather see Jet start at point and Buckner at 2 for most games.

Milkman 09-20-2006 10:59 AM

Also i used to HATE Anthony Johnson when i watched Indiana games because he was so slow with an ugly jumpshot. I mostly hated him because Indiana started him over Jasikevicius when Tinsley was out injured.

Silent Mav 09-20-2006 11:25 AM

Here's the actual line from the Morning News

Quote:

Harris, Anthony Johnson and Greg Buckner will be given the chance to start next to Terry. Since Avery Johnson is committed to moving Terry off the ball even more this season, the competition will come down to Harris and Anthony Johnson.

One thing that was brought up on another board, this is not a quote from Avery. And lately the Morning News has had a bad problem with speculation.

soog and I have already been discussing this in the starting spots thread here in the Mavs forum.

soog 09-20-2006 11:42 AM

that news makes me happy silent =)

Silent Mav 09-20-2006 11:57 AM

lol, I know it does soog!

BlondeBomber41 09-21-2006 07:02 AM

No way in hell Anthony Johnson outperforms Harris and wins the job. If he does, we are in TROUBLE.

thejoyofsobe 09-21-2006 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber41
No way in hell Anthony Johnson outperforms Harris and wins the job. If he does, we are in TROUBLE.

If teams can crowd the lane forcing Harris to take jumpshots like Miami did, then he's not going to effective until he gets a dependable jump shot. If he's still one dimensional through training camp and the preseason, you could very well be looking at Anthony Johnson as the Mavericks' starting point guard.

Silent Mav 09-21-2006 10:48 AM

Basically the whole article that the clips were taken from is about Devin working on just that. He realized that and has been shooting about 600 shots a day with a shooting coach. Something else we touched on in the other thread. That this is going to be a big year in terms of what kind of player he's going to be. No more excuses.

PacerRaptor 09-21-2006 11:08 AM

no way anthony johnson will start over harris...ive watch johnson play for the past 3 years, mavs made a mistake by taking him, hes good for a half-court offense, hes not good for pushing the ball up ... he'll be good in spurs and indy type of slow offense

Silent Mav 09-21-2006 11:27 AM

He'll be fine as the third point guard. And when you get to the playoffs, it will steer towards the half-court game more. That and the fact he is an upgrade over DA when Jet and Devin are in foul trouble are good enough for me.

soog 09-21-2006 03:11 PM

yeah when you say he is a mistake for the mavs, just tell me if you'd rather have AJ or DA running your offense whether its half court or run-n-gun.

insidehoops 09-26-2006 02:16 AM

I don't feel comfortable with devin harris starting at SG

soog 09-26-2006 09:15 AM

DH at SG? I know you want to be involved with yoru boards but what are you talking about?

Milkman 09-26-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soog
DH at SG? I know you want to be involved with yoru boards but what are you talking about?

LOL Jeff doesnt read threads very well at all

Milkman 09-26-2006 10:35 AM

I dont feel comfortable with Jason Terry starting at PF