Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Spurs sign Drew Gooden (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123299)

Vancouver-Grizz 03-04-2009 06:04 PM

Spurs sign Drew Gooden

Update: The Spurs have officially signed him: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=3721

Opinion:

With all the Iverson, Joe Smith/Cavs, Marbury/Celtics threads, no one really posted anything indepth about the Spurs.

Gooden in my opinion puts them right up there. Another scoring threat down low will relieve alot of pressure off Timmy. With another month or so left in the season and Manu coming back, they are right on target for their annual playoff push.

As boring as some people say the Spurs are, they are the model team for the last decade. I actually enjoy watching them play as I find them one of the most unselfish teams out there. Gooden will help them alot. Spurs never repeat but they didn't win the championship last year. :hammerhead:

DuMa 03-04-2009 06:06 PM

Re: Gooden will put the Spurs over the top.

gooden will **** all over gasol or odom right

Gevz2kX 03-04-2009 06:08 PM

first he needs to be able to play a full week before any talk about putting a team over the top

StroShow4 03-04-2009 06:09 PM

nah, he shaved his beard, he's powerless now.

Undisputed 03-04-2009 06:11 PM

Gooden plays terrible defense.

niko 03-04-2009 06:12 PM

Either they would have won it before or not. Gooden is not going to be the reason they win a title. You have to think they were 99.998% there to think he puts them over the top. Because when the season is on the line in the playoffs, he's going to be stroking his beard on the bench.

DuMa 03-04-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StroShow4
nah, he shaved his beard, he's powerless now.

i know. i dont even recognize him anymore now. he's lildrewgooden to me now

Al Thornton 03-04-2009 06:14 PM

more depth the better for the Spurs, I predicted they would win it all in the beginning of the year hopefully this comes true.

Undisputed 03-04-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa
i know. i dont even recognize him anymore now. he's lildrewgooden to me now

:roll: :roll:

211269 03-04-2009 06:18 PM

:oldlol:

Gingereffic 03-04-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver-Grizz
With all the Iverson, Joe Smith/Cavs, Marbury/Celtics threads, no one really posted anything indepth about the Spurs.

Gooden in my opinion puts them right up there. Another scoring threat down low will relieve alot of pressure off Timmy. With another month or so left in the season and Manu coming back, they are right on target for their annual playoff push.

As boring as some people say the Spurs are, they are the model team for the last decade. I actually enjoy watching them play as I find them one of the most unselfish teams out there. Gooden will help them alot. Spurs never repeat but they didn't win the championship last year. :hammerhead:

If the whole team has their healthy they will be tough to beat. I still think the Lakers are better though.. Especially if bynum comes back.. Even without Bynum ,I think the Lakers have a better top three than the Spurs...

MiseryCityTexas 03-04-2009 06:31 PM

gooden would be a key sixth man for the spurs. rockets woiuld have benefitted more if they would have signed gooden, especially since carl landry is injury prone, and they never play chuck hayes and joey dorsey.

Jasper 03-04-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver-Grizz

yesterdays thread on first page :
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=123196

Smokee 03-04-2009 07:03 PM

I think Gooden is as good a fit for the Spurs as i can think of. A PF big man that has post game, can hit the jumper, and has a good attitude. His defensive 'issues' are being over-exaggerated mostly by Cav's fans. Funny how no Bull's fans have knocked him at all for it, or anything really :ohwell:

I mean with Duncan being the center of attention and taking up the paint, Gooden is as perfect a complement to him where he covers everything around it, and can hit that short J as good as anyone if Duncan decides to dish it off or if he ends up doubled. They can also isolate Gooden for a post go to when Duncan's out since he's got excellent post moves. Between Parker and Ginobli they have the whole backside and perimeter covered also. I basically agree.

As long as Gooden is healthy i can't think of a better player i'd add that they could get so cheap, basically for nothing to make them contenders. I'll definitely be watching them more :pimp:

the other FA pickups are a joke in relation to what the Spurs got. They really got lucky with how this worked out imo.

TMac&Luther 03-04-2009 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiseryCityTexas
gooden would be a key sixth man for the spurs. rockets woiuld have benefitted more if they would have signed gooden, especially since carl landry is injury prone, and they never play chuck hayes and joey dorsey.

Landry sprained his ankle, big freaking whoop. A sprained ankle doesn't make you "injury prone". Plus didn't Gooden have a groin injury...those type of injuries always come back to bite you in the ass.

Houston doesn't need Gooden, he's a poor man's Scola and Landry compliments Scola better than Gooden ever could.

BTW, Joey Dorsey is out for the year.....that's why he doesn't get playing time and Chuck Hayes does get time, he's a defensive stopper and when we need that defense (like we will in the playoffs) he gets time.