Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Golden State Warriors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Warriors waive PG Marcus Williams (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124034)

loot 03-10-2009 02:31 PM

Warriors waive PG Marcus Williams

The Warriors are in the process of waiving seldom-used point guard Marcus Williams, but the paperwork wasn't completed by the end of the day.

Bay Area News Group

Thoughts? Any teams out there who'll take a chance on him? Suns?

UPDATE: He's officially waived: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=3766

InspiredLebowski 03-10-2009 02:33 PM

Re: Marcus Williams waived

What took so long?

craiye 03-10-2009 02:33 PM

Since we've passed the deadline he won't be eligable for a playoff roster spot, right? If that's the case, I'm not sure if the Suns would sign him since they're still trying to catch the Mavs.

I could maybe see the Grizz taking a chance on him. Their PG situation isn't great.

wang4three 03-10-2009 02:35 PM

When we drafted Marcus, I knew it was supposed to be the "smart" choice but I really wanted Kyle Lowry. Still do.

Marcus' main problem is his swagger. He'll think he is best player on the team and it'll cloud his judgment when the game is on the line. I've seen him play us back to games with that confidence, but at the same time play us out of a lot of games. The passes that he saw at the beginning of the game he'll miss at the end cause he wants the shot. If he played consistently from start to end with the same methodology he'd be a solid player in this league. Atleast as good as a Chris Duhon. But he doesn't.

ChuckOakley 03-10-2009 02:37 PM

That was kind of a d!ck move by the W's, why not waive him a couple weeks ago so he could have been eligible for a playoff roster, should someone have wanted him?
It's not as though they just had this notion to waive him today.

Real Men Wear Green 03-10-2009 02:37 PM

I had actually wanted the Cs to draft him over Rondo. Which just goes to show what I know about basketball. He may get a look from someone but this magnifies the character issues that he showed signs of in college (got busted for stealing a laptop) and followed him into Jersey (there were unquoted questions about his attitude). If he had a clean reputation I'd say he at least gets a training camp invite or even a tryout from some bad team this season. But because he's earned a label as a bad guy most teams won't bother with him. You can't be both a low-impact player as well as a problem child.

InspiredLebowski 03-10-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I had actually wanted the Cs to draft him over Rondo.

Yeah well I wanted Indy to draft him over Shawne Williams. And Rondo over Shawne Williams. Man, Shawne Williams and that dreaded "potential." Never did understand not taking Marcus, sure, character issues. Then the guy we draft gets busted with weed and a gun in the car and then harbors a wanted murderer that "was a friend of my daddy." Man that pick sucked.

bdreason 03-10-2009 02:43 PM

Maybe one day his game will catch up with his ego.

Mathius 03-10-2009 02:43 PM

I don't follow the Nets as well as I could, but it seems like he did better when he had Jason Kidd as a mentor.

Mathius

Real Men Wear Green 03-10-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
That was kind of a d!ck move by the W's, why not waive him a couple weeks ago so he could have been eligible for a playoff roster, should someone have wanted him?
It's not as though they just had this notion to waive him today.

I'm guessing that they were taking their time evaluating him and just weren't sure at the time of the deadline, but it could be that Nelly didn't like him and so did this as a kind of punishment. Though the interest in him from playoff teams would probably have been weak. Maybe if the Hawks don't like Bibby's back-up they give him a look, but then again, Williams hasn't shown much himself.

KeylessEntry 03-10-2009 02:45 PM

uh oh the warriors only have 5 point guards now

ChuckOakley 03-10-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
I'm guessing that they were taking their time evaluating him and just weren't sure at the time of the deadline, but it could be that Nelly didn't like him and so did this as a kind of punishment. Though the interest in him from playoff teams would probably have been weak. Maybe if the Hawks don't like Bibby's back-up they give him a look, but then again, Williams hasn't shown much himself.

They decided early on they didn't like him, nor want him. From playing Watson and Nelson over him to keeping him inactive a majority of the season despite the absence of Monta. I think it was doen completely out of spite, but yeah that's why I said "if" any playoff team would be interested in him. I'm not sure of any that would be either, but it would have been nice if both sides had that option.

ChuckOakley 03-10-2009 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathius
I don't follow the Nets as well as I could, but it seems like he did better when he had Jason Kidd as a mentor.

Mathius

His time to shine was once Kidd left town and Harris was injured... and he did, for a couple of games. The only effect Kidd had was that NJ fans saw how much better the team played under Kidd and how quickly the lead would shrink (or deficit would grow) with Marcus in.

Interminator 03-10-2009 03:06 PM

They should have traded him early in the season,actually before the season when Don Nelson realized that he didn't want him on the team.

He'll probably head to Europe and try to earn a contract next year in Summer League.

I doubt a non-Playoff team would be interested,maybe the Clippers because they need some help at PG.

PoGoMon 03-10-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdreason
Maybe one day his game will catch up with his ego.

You got that right! Talk about "much ado about NOTHING" - His game matches his ego- ZILCH. If he had a decent ego, he would have respected this game - he did have talent, but the NBA requires more than just talent.:ohwell: