Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What's with the Bonner Hating? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278)

Dr.Funk 06-12-2006 06:27 PM

What's with the Bonner Hating?

In his rookie season he pretty much cam out of nowhere and became an instant fan favourite with his hustle and deadly shot. And fans begged that he be re-signed. This past season he tried to add some new elements to his game, was played in some very unfavourable situation, like starting at center. His shot was streaky but he played every possession hard and to the best of his ability but yet he got shit on at every oppertunity. Now this offseason people are demanding that he be traded.

:wtf:

Unregistered 06-12-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
In his rookie season he pretty much cam out of nowhere and became an instant fan favourite with his hustle and deadly shot. And fans begged that he be re-signed. This past season he tried to add some new elements to his game, was played in some very unfavourable situation, like starting at center. His shot was streaky but he played every possession hard and to the best of his ability but yet he got shit on at every oppertunity. Now this offseason people are demanding that he be traded.

:wtf:

I think raps fans just want a winner. As a rap fan myself, I can't stand to hear about guys hussle and desire....how about some freakin' talent! Guys like Sow because of his hussle. All I care about is wins. Bonner is ok, maybe a 9th man and a solid shooter but not much else. I could bust by balls on the court and I think some raps fans would love me. Does that mean I should be on the team?! No. I think it's time we got a mindset of a winning culture. Not happy with effort only.

craigthomasb 06-12-2006 07:01 PM

matt bonner = our robert horry, when were a winning team he will be a big time player for us, he should be 3rd string pf/sf/c next year nut his 10 minutes a night of hustle and dead eye shooting is what every team needs

same for pape sow

now we just need to get 1st string players to make ourselves winning teams

Unregistered 06-12-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigthomasb
matt bonner = our robert horry, when were a winning team he will be a big time player for us, he should be 3rd string pf/sf/c next year nut his 10 minutes a night of hustle and dead eye shooting is what every team needs

same for pape sow

now we just need to get 1st string players to make ourselves winning teams

Exactly what I am talking about. So optimistic about the benefits of really, bit players like Bonner and Sow. These guys wouldn't even make the roster of most teams but we get excited because they are our 3rd string C etc. I agree with the last part, I am much more concerned about our starting lineup and players who actually will matter.

Chamberlain 06-12-2006 07:41 PM

Theres no reason to trade Bonner and Sow. They are valuable in their own ways. They aren't expected to start on a regular basis and don't clog up the payroll, and as far as "give me some talent" goes, we have talent, and we'll get more talent, which will make the roles of Sow and Bonner a lot simpler, so they can do what they do best, and leave the talent stuff to other guys. Sow and Bonner are pretty good pieces to the puzzle.

GoRapz 06-12-2006 08:11 PM

Sophomore Slump.

Hopefully he can bounce back next year.

albertpujols 06-12-2006 10:27 PM

I don't know that much people who want him traded, but he is a low-key role player, he is'nt expected to score 20 points on a basis.

Invaluable in his own way. He provides that spark as one of the spot-on shooters on the team. Suggested earlier, thats what Robert Horry has focussed his game on his entire career.

J Miles 23 06-13-2006 09:24 AM

the only reason he was a fan favorite is because hes a crap player that isn't expected to do anything...hell Garth Joseph was a fan favorite...he got cheered because hes a white dude thats a bench warmer..and got minutes

he can hit shots..but hes not good at anything else..he has no "other" elements....Mitchell expects tomuch from him..i remember 1 time..bonner was covering KG in OT...the HELL IS THAT..he shouldn't even be on the court in OT..let alone covering KG
and i dunno if its becuase i hate him somuch..but i noticed that a lot of the times on last second shots that we lose..its partially bonners direct fault...in the mavs game where Terry hit the floater down the lane...bonner didn't shift at all to cover the lane..instead went to tighten up on Keith Van Horn on the weak side...completely exposing the lane

power works 06-13-2006 10:04 AM

After watching Bonner play some 140+ games the past 2 seasons, I've come to the conclusion that he gets owned by 95% of the guys he covers at the post. He's either undersized or too slow.

And everytime he ****s up he always gives this dumbass look at the Raptor bench.....like he's expecting Sam to bail him out. You're on your own son.

He's a decent shooter and that's what he should stick too.

Don't put the damn ball on the floor. If you can't get your shot off, pass da ball. :mad:

Orealius 06-13-2006 10:18 PM

The Red Rocket is an 8th man type player. He should not be getting heavy minutes and should NEVER start for us again or be in late in a game when it's close.

T-Low 06-13-2006 11:49 PM

Red Rocket....people want him traded for his contract and his offensive shooting....good contract and shoot very well.....but what else is he actually used for. He is slow on his feet and can't guard the defender very well...But he made me laugh when he pissed off KG.....those were the days!