Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Jeremy Lin (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131522)

Grinder 05-12-2009 06:25 PM

Jeremy Lin

He's been tearing up the Ivy League with 18 points, 4 assists, 5.5 boards, and 2.4 steals shooting 40% from 3 pt. land and over 50% from the field. He destroyed BC and Tyrese Rice with 27 points and 6 steals in Harvard's first win over a ranked opponent in ages.

Anyone think he's got a chance to get drafted in the second round if he can improve on his junior season?

lil_miketaylor 05-12-2009 08:16 PM

Re: Jeremy Lin

Maybe if he did good in a draft camp, that would most likely be the only way he would even be considered for the 2nd round.

wang4three 05-13-2009 01:43 PM

I've been following him this year since that win over BC. It'll be tough for him cause he doesn't have great athleticism or height, but if he works really hard he may be just one of those guys that just finds a way to stick on a team by hustle and being a good teammate. However, I think it's most likely that if he wants to continue ball, he'll have to go overseas or play in the NBDL.

I don't think he'll be considered for the 2nd round though, even in a weak year. Tommy Amaker is his coach and I'm just reminded of Daniel Horton when I see Jeremy...though Daniel was a better player and when's the last time you heard of him?

STelfair31 05-13-2009 02:34 PM

he can shoot the lights out...

Thorpesaurous 05-13-2009 02:38 PM

I saw him last year against Yale and he looked like he couldn't create much for anyone else.
He kind of looks awkward when he plays. He's good at drawing fouls, and I think some of that is because of his awkward footwork.

He's not as good a prospect as Barea was, and that's as close a guess as I can make for him.

DwadeOverLebron 05-13-2009 04:57 PM

sorry china men don't make the league unless your 7 feet+

Grinder 07-20-2010 11:30 PM

He may not have been drafted, but he did get signed by the Warriors.

Great success story and inspiration for a lot of kids out there. Do work Jeremy!

wang4three 07-21-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wang4three
I've been following him this year since that win over BC. It'll be tough for him cause he doesn't have great athleticism or height, but if he works really hard he may be just one of those guys that just finds a way to stick on a team by hustle and being a good teammate. However, I think it's most likely that if he wants to continue ball, he'll have to go overseas or play in the NBDL.

I don't think he'll be considered for the 2nd round though, even in a weak year. Tommy Amaker is his coach and I'm just reminded of Daniel Horton when I see Jeremy...though Daniel was a better player and when's the last time you heard of him?

I suck.

paguy1955 07-21-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DwadeOverLebron
sorry china men don't make the league unless your 7 feet+

What an INCORRECT racist statement.:wtf:

paguy1955 07-21-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I saw him last year against Yale and he looked like he couldn't create much for anyone else.
He kind of looks awkward when he plays. He's good at drawing fouls, and I think some of that is because of his awkward footwork.

He's not as good a prospect as Barea was, and that's as close a guess as I can make for him.

Your guess is 100% incorrect. Saw him play last week in Vegas and he held his own against everybody. Provided spark for his team. And is about to get signed.:banghead:

baseketball4life 07-21-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paguy1955
Your guess is 100% incorrect. Saw him play last week in Vegas and he held his own against everybody. Provided spark for his team. And is about to get signed.:banghead:

he already got signed, introduced and had a press conference with the Warriors.

hito da god 07-22-2010 12:47 PM

jeremy lin has one of my favorite players in the league, mostly because he came outta NOWHERE.

great inspiration for ballers everywhere :applause:

azn0 07-23-2010 01:05 AM

He will likely play for a while for PR/marketing purposes. Then he will likley become a coach or work in the front office.

ShoeGuy 07-23-2010 06:12 AM

Q&A session...

Quote:

The Bay Area's newest rock star is Jeremy Lin, an undrafted rookie guard from Harvard whose primary résumé item until recently was being the first player in Ivy League history to record 1,450 points, 450 rebounds, 400 assists and 200 steals. The Dallas Mavericks were the only team to extend Lin an invitation to summer league to play behind highly touted guards Roddy Beaubois and Dominique Jones.

Garrett Ellwood/NBAE/Getty Images
Jeremy Lin beat the traffic in Las Vegas, and earned an NBA roster spot.

Then something phenomenal occurred in Las Vegas:

Lin matched No. 1 overall draft pick John Wall possession for possession down the stretch of Lin's fourth summer league game.

Cox Pavilion is usually a fairly subdued venue, a place where people mill about, and where executives, scouts and media schmooze with only one eye on the game. But for about 15 minutes last Thursday, the place had all the intensity of an NBA playoff game.

Here was Lin tying up Wall on a drive, forcing a jump ball. Then Lin drained a 3-pointer, which he promptly followed with a 360 degree spin move in traffic. After that, he snatched a rebound away from JaVale McGee.

Those are just a few of the highlights.

On Wednesday, the kid from Palo Alto agreed to a two-year deal with the Golden State Warriors, his home team. Throngs of media turned out for Lin's introduction.

We caught up with Lin by phone on Thursday:

So how insane is this?
Awww, man. Very, very, very insane. Obviously, this is like my dream come true, playing in the NBA with this team. It's been a day or two and it still hasn't sunk in. I'm still riding this emotional high. It's been unreal. It really has.

In some sense, was this route better than being drafted -- where you might've been stashed or banished to the bench or even gone unsigned as a second-rounder?
It's way, way better. Now looking back, I'm so happy that I went undrafted. There are a lot of people who are going to get stuck in situations, or could've been in a better situation somewhere else, but they got drafted so that team has their rights. I honestly believe it was a blessing in disguise to go undrafted because if I were drafted, I wouldn't have had that opportunity to test the field and take offers from different teams. That's what helped me a ton in the end.

How important is the [Asian-American] identity stuff?
You know, it's important but not as important as my being a Christian. That's first and foremost the most important thing to me when it comes to my identity.

Is it more important to your folks?

No. We believe in the same thing. That's how our house is and how I was raised. We've always taken our Christianity and our walks with God as our first priority.

Let's talk about summer league last week. The John Wall game ... which suddenly became The Jeremy Lin Game. All business stopped in that gym during the fourth quarter. Everyone was gripped by what was going on down on the floor.
Roddy [Beaubois] was hurt so I got a chance to get a little more playing time in the first half, which helped a lot because I got a chance to get comfortable. Going into the fourth quarter, we were down. I wanted something to happen. I was just, like, playing. It just felt like it was college again. I was just, like, out there. It felt very, very comfortable and very relaxed. It was such a natural feeling. It wasn't like that with most of the other games. In those other games, it was more like, "Wow, this is a job interview. I have to perform well." I had that kind of pressure. But in the Washington game, going against John Wall in the fourth quarter, trying to come back, I was just playing off instincts. It was the best quarter I had in summer league at the best possible time. If the Dallas Mavericks weren't scheduled to play the Washington Wizards, I might not be in the NBA.

So your feeling is that the Wall matchup was the decisive factor for your getting that contract from the Golden State?
That was the biggest thing by far. Like you said, business stopped and that's what everyone was watching. Because it was John Wall. Nobody was really paying attention to me before that. But after that, people started talking about me.

You said you were relaxed, but you seemed pretty bent about that charge call on your 360 spin move.
I mean relaxed in that I wasn't thinking about how big the game was. I was just focused completely on the game. I wasn't thinking, "Oh, this person's watching so I have to perform well." You know what I mean?

Relaxed in a larger, just-go-out-and-play sense?
Right.

There were a couple of huge plays in that sequence.
That charge call on the spin move? I didn't even see the guy, so I had no idea if it was a charge. But I heard the crowd's reaction, so I immediately assumed that it wasn't. But looking back on the tape, it was a pretty tough call. I was shocked because the whole gym was rooting for John Wall the entire game from the very beginning. So at first I was like, "John Wall must've taken the charge." I didn't know if it was him or not, but that was the first thing that came to my mind. Then, I realized, "Wait, they're rooting for me." I was like, "Whoa. What just happened?" Because, like, thirty minutes ago everyone was rooting for him.

So what changed?
I'm not even sure.

Are you a pure 1? A 2? Does it matter?
I'm a 1, but I can also play the 2. But I'm naturally and primarily a point guard. A lot of people don't realize that I didn't play the 1 in college. I played the 2. In summer league I was splitting time. In my eyes, I'm an NBA point guard and that's my natural position. I believe that.

You’ll probably be seeing more minutes -- albeit practice minutes -- against Steph Curry and Monta Ellis than anyone else in the league. Do you have a scouting report on those two guys?
Steph Curry is a playmaker and we all know he can score and shoot. But he's really, really smart. He knows how to see angles and get into the lane. He's just a complete offensive player. We saw at the end of last season how good he is. Monta Ellis is a big-time scorer and a very explosive offensive player. He's really quick and primarily a slasher. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from both of those guys. I can't wait to see them play and pick their brains --

And guard them for two hours a day.
That's going to be awesome! I'm going to learn a lot. That's going to help me so much.

Have you gotten a call from either Joe Lacob or Peter Guber yet?
No. I've talked to Larry Riley, Bobby Rowell and Travis Schlenk.

Is there a shoe or merchandise deal in the works?

That's something for my agent. It's been so crazy, I haven't really had any time to think about it. Things have been so busy. I know there's interest in terms of different companies but I don't know exactly what's going on.

Is self-branding in any way a small part of your ambition? Will it be cool to have a shoe?
It would be cool, but it's not a goal or anything.

When you hit the scene at Harvard and you guys started to win, was there an academic celeb scene at Lavieties Pavilion?
Not that I noticed. But Arne Duncan showed up.

What was your favorite class at Harvard?
Sociology 128: Methods of Social Science Research. Basically, it was a semester-long sociology experiment. My friends and I did an experiment on the differences between athletes and non-athletes when it comes to motivation and results in the classroom.

And?
The non-athletes had the highest GPAs, then the walk-ons next, then the recruited athletes. That's what we anticipated. But one of the other interesting things we found was that some of the athletes though that they would've gotten better grades had they had more time. But then some of the non-athletes thought that some of the athletes were lazier or naturally not as smart. So there was a difference in perception of why that disparity exists -- but the disparity is indisputable.

Do you think there's a sense of entitlement among some athletes?

I think there's a sense of entitlement for both.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...lin-makes-good

DwadeOverLebron 07-28-2010 04:34 PM

cheeng chong cheeng thats don't eff wit my eggroll bitz! in chinese