Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Report: Ex-Duke star Redick arrested for DWI (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323)

allball 06-13-2006 12:07 PM

Report: Ex-Duke star Redick arrested for DWI

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-draft-rumors.shtml

Real Men Wear Green 06-13-2006 12:28 PM

If this causes his stock to slip, some very good team is going to luck out and get even better. He could be a Contender's Steve Kerr. And possibly more with time and experience. Miami could use him right now to punish the doubles on Shaq, and D-Wade could make up for what he lacks as a point guard.

FPower 06-13-2006 12:31 PM

I highly doubt his stock slips because of this. Teams will address it when they work him out, and as long as he doesn't sound like a jackass, they'll forget about it.

Half the people I know have gotten DUIs at some point in their life. A big part of it is just being unlucky.

Jerm 06-13-2006 12:33 PM

[Zizouzidane5]You'll never see a white guy being arrested by the police while in the NBA[ZizouZidane5] :confusedshrug:

Real Men Wear Green 06-13-2006 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FPower
I highly doubt his stock slips because of this. Teams will address it when they work him out, and as long as he doesn't sound like a jackass, they'll forget about it.

Half the people I know have gotten DUIs at some point in their life. A big part of it is just being unlucky.

I did it once a few years back...desperate situation though, hopefully won't ever have to again.

Edit: Just drove drunk, didn't get a DUI.

Joey Zaza 06-13-2006 12:46 PM

Sam Kinison used to do a joke "We are all going to drink and we're all going to drive. There is one simple reason why...because there is no other way TO GET OUR CARS HOME"

Kinison did it better.

On topic: I wouldn't draft him. Part of Reddick's appeal a a player is "good kid, from Duke, knows how to play, ready to contribute" (I think of him as a Shane Battier - solid contributor, right away)- now in the summer where he should be on his best behavior, he does something this stupid.

That damages everything that was going for him. Let someone else take him. He's not wining me any titles without a superstar anyway. If I want behavior problems, give me the freak athlete, project with behavior problems instead.

Real Men Wear Green 06-13-2006 12:50 PM

Ditching him just because of this DUI would be unwise. Unless he has a serious drinking problem it shouldn't be a recurring issue, and you don't draft a player for being clean-cut, you draft him because you think he can help your team. No one in this draft is going to win any games without a superstar, so that's irrelevent. The real questions GMs should be asking are, "Does he have a drinking problem?" and "Can he help my team?"

Real Men Wear Green 06-13-2006 12:52 PM

DoubleTech 06-13-2006 12:56 PM

yesssuh

this really sucks for JJ... but it's not the end of the world.

i can see his stock slipping 1-2 spots because of this, not because teams might all of a sudden dislike reddick, but because it might allow some other player to look a bit better, and therefore go higher. could have been worse tho... but lets not start acting like he was driving around on a motorcycle with no helmet on. :banana:

Joey Zaza 06-13-2006 01:07 PM

Its not a drinking problem - its a behavior problem, a maturity problem, a judgment problem.

I will pass on a guy for that. Especially a senior who played at a great program - where behavior, maturity, and judgment should have already been learned. Makes me think its innate. We've seen it bite teams enough times to make me weary.

FPower 06-13-2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

If I want behavior problems, give me the freak athlete, project with behavior problems instead.

I don't consider this "behavior problems" unless I interview him and find some other issues.

95% of people who drink could have gotten a DUI had they gotten pulled over at the wrong time. The legal limit is pretty ridiculous, I could probably get one a week. The trick is to not get pulled over in the first place.

That being said, I do not advocate driving when you are a complete mess. I've only done that once in my life, and I still regret doing so, despite it being an uneventful experience.

Rasheed1 06-13-2006 01:17 PM

Fpower

It is a big deal if you get a DUI...You're talking like its a routine traffic violation...Its not

People driving drunk is a serious problem...This will cause him some problems...

DUI's are serious

Real Men Wear Green 06-13-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
Its not a drinking problem - its a behavior problem, a maturity problem, a judgment problem.

I will pass on a guy for that. Especially a senior who played at a great program - where behavior, maturity, and judgment should have already been learned. Makes me think its innate. We've seen it bite teams enough times to make me weary.

It's one incident. How many players do you think have never done anything wrong? Being from Duke really doesn't even matter (Jay Williams was from Duke, too, but he still rode a motorbike). We could name hundreds of players that did something bad at one time or another. Marcus Williams stole computers but is considered a lottery pick. Jason Kidd got a DUI. And we could go on.

And going back to a prior post, why'd you bring up the "freakish athlete"-business anyway? Like they can't be just as messed up by "problems?"

FPower 06-13-2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

DUI's are serious
Oh, I know that. But they're serious in the sense that they're expensive, a lot of work, stressful, and cause you all kinds of hassle.

They're not serious in the sense that just because you get a DUI, you're likely to have serious behavior issues. I'm just saying I doubt he drops on any draft boards.

adamcz 06-13-2006 01:29 PM

I use a designated driver. JJ should too. It's stupid, and yes it does show that he's either immature or has poor judgement.