Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   News on Lance Stephenson courtesy of Yahoosports (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133939)

STelfair31 06-01-2009 12:29 PM

News on Lance Stephenson courtesy of Yahoosports

Do teams still want Lance Stephenson?

Quote:

His stock has fallen farther than GM. Once the most-hyped recruit in the country, Lance Stephenson enters June without a school, without much hype and with many in recruiting circles saying he's not worth the trouble. This begs the question: Does anybody still want Lance Stephenson?

Quote:

The questions aren't about Stephenson's game, but about the off-court issues. He seems to be the guy that every coach would rather be somebody else's problem. Between the pending criminal charge, questions about amateur status and the general sense that where Stephen goes drama follows, he just might not be worth it. Gary Williams, for instance, is desperate to sign a big-time national recruit. Will putting up with a possible Stephenson-headache be worth it for next season?

SOOO I pose this question, will Lance Stephenson play anywhere??
- If so where?!?

HisJoeness 06-01-2009 12:32 PM

Re: News on Lance Stephenson courtesy of Yahoosports

Born Unprepared.

STelfair31 06-01-2009 12:34 PM

true, but the legacy at Abraham Lincoln for great high school players would probably rub off don't you think?

Interminator 06-01-2009 12:40 PM

This is all laughable, Stephenson is a big time player.

Hes going to score you 20-25 PPG in college next season depending on the program, the questions and doubts go about with the hype he has received and the length of how long it has taken for him to make a decision.

A lot of teams have already wrapped up their recruiting classes for 2009, and are going all in now for 2010.

He just has to call the school, tell them hes accepting their scholarship offer, and board his flight to the school.

There are few coaches who would turn down Lance, espescially if Lance is the one that wants to come.

Interminator 06-01-2009 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STelfair31
true, but the legacy at Abraham Lincoln for great high school players would probably rub off don't you think?

Lance is the greatest HS basketball player in New York state history.

Find me anything to prove otherwise, 4 year starter, 4 Championships, NYSPHSAA All-Time Leading Scorer.

STelfair31 06-01-2009 12:45 PM

so what's the hold up??

lukeridnour08 06-01-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Interminator

Hes going to score you 20-25 PPG in college next season depending on the program, the questions and doubts go about with the hype he has received and the length of how long it has taken for him to make a decision.

A lot of teams have already wrapped up their recruiting classes for 2009, and are going all in now for 2010.

He just has to call the school, tell them hes accepting their scholarship offer, and board his flight to the school.

There are few coaches who would turn down Lance, espescially if Lance is the one that wants to come.

lol.
20-25 PPG next year??

Strong knowledge w/ you

STelfair31 06-01-2009 12:49 PM

he's pretty long & can shoot, depending on where he ends up , that statement could be true.

Interminator 06-01-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukeridnour08
lol.
20-25 PPG next year??

Strong knowledge w/ you

:oldlol:

You cant be serious, honestly if you dont think BR is capable of putting up 20-25 PPG next season you're an idiot.

Physically hes already at the point of being stronger than some NBA players, I cant imagine how much stronger he can get with a workout routine in a college weight room.:eek:

Lance could probably start at TE or WR for some colleges.

TheGame414 06-01-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

There are already coaches turning down Lance. No one's questioning his talent. The question is whether or not those 20-25 points (which I'm not the least bit convinced he'd actually do for any team worth a crap, but that's another story) would outweigh the baggage he brings. You're starting to see some major backlash come from some of the one-and-dones, and Lance Stephenson seems like a lock to bring a future backlash for his one season of play.

If he was a program-changing recruit like Michael Beasley, he may just be worth the negative publicity, but I don't think he is. If he was capable of fitting into a team structure seamlessly then I think he'd be a terrific final piece for a championship contender, but I think it's pretty clear he has no interest in fitting in.

If you think any coach would accept any commitment from a talented player no matter the other issues the player has, you need to pay attention to how coaches other than John Calipari operate and join us back in the real world. The hypothetical you're posing- that any coach would jump through hoops to get a commit from Stephenson- is already proving to be laughably false.

Sure, he'll end up somewhere, maybe even one of the schools he was originally rumored to be considering. But that doesn't mean he had his pick of schools all along. Like many talented players before him, plenty of programs are deeming him to not be worth the hassle.

Interminator 06-01-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STelfair31
so what's the hold up??

His sexual assault case.

He & his father have made it clear that they arent going to make a decision until after they get that finished, more than likely the charges will be dropped or he'll receive probation and community service.

I still like his chances with Memphis, and Kansas depending on what happens with Xavier Henry.

TheGame414 06-01-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

:oldlol:

You cant be serious, honestly if you dont think BR is capable of putting up 20-25 PPG next season you're an idiot.

Physically hes already at the point of being stronger than some NBA players, I cant imagine how much stronger he can get with a workout routine in a college weight room.:eek:

Lance could probably start at TE or WR for some colleges.

I guess I'm an idiot, then. I doubt he puts up those kind of numbers unless he plays for a bad team where he's the undisputed star and isn't asked to share the ball (albeit I doubt he'd do so in a very efficient manner).

Quote:

Lance is the greatest HS basketball player in New York state history.

Find me anything to prove otherwise
Lew Alcindor.

That was easy.

Want a couple more? Felipe Lopez, Sebastian Telfair and Stephon Marbury. That was easy, too.

You can't necessarily throw out that he's won four state titles and leave it at that because eras change, and NYC basketball isn't as strong as it was even a decade ago. I mean, Sergio McClain and Marcus Griffin won four state titles in Illinois at Peoria Manual, and even a national title. Even though they were very good players- Marcus was a McDonald's All-American, Sergio was Mr. Basketball and both were starters on Illinois' 2001 Elite Eight team- I could name tons of better players from Illinois who never won a state title, much less four of them.

Interminator 06-01-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame414
There are already coaches turning down Lance. No one's questioning his talent. The question is whether or not those 20-25 points (which I'm not the least bit convinced he'd actually do for any team worth a crap, but that's another story) would outweigh the baggage he brings. You're starting to see some major backlash come from some of the one-and-dones, and Lance Stephenson seems like a lock to bring a future backlash for his one season of play.

The backlash from Mayo?Rose?

Quote:

If he was a program-changing recruit like Michael Beasley, he may just be worth the negative publicity, but I don't think he is. If he was capable of fitting into a team structure seamlessly then I think he'd be a terrific final piece for a championship contender, but I think it's pretty clear he has no interest in fitting in.
Michael Beasley wasnt a program-changing recruit, he was the biggest fish netted by Delonte Hill for Kansas State's basketball program.
Im not sure if you realize how popular BR is in NYC, he is idolized already to the point if not furthur that Marbury was coming out of HS, BR is definetly a recruiting tool for any coach in terms of recruiting NYC for basketball talent.

Quote:

If you think any coach would accept any commitment from a talented player no matter the other issues the player has, you need to pay attention to how coaches other than John Calipari operate and join us back in the real world. The hypothetical you're posing- that any coach would jump through hoops to get a commit from Stephenson- is already proving to be laughably false.
I never claimed that, so I have no clue why you're adding on.

I said if Stephenson phoned up about 90% of most coaches in D1 college basketball and told them he was accepting their scholarship offer and would be on his way, they would accept his commitment.

The questions about his eligibility will be cleared up before the season even starts, and his father purposely wants him out of NYC where he can be away from the distractions.

Quote:

Sure, he'll end up somewhere, maybe even one of the schools he was originally rumored to be considering. But that doesn't mean he had his pick of schools all along. Like many talented players before him, plenty of programs are deeming him to not be worth the hassle.

Lance had his pick of schools, the point is which you fail to understand is that Lance didnt commit or sign when these schools were actively recruiting him.
If not for KFC leaving Memphis, He would've been signed, sealed, and delivered to Lawrence,Kansas.

Coaches generally are done recruiting at this period because the following recruiting class is on the horizon, you can look at John Wall for example.
He himself whether purposely or not tried to get UNC into his recruitment but Roy Williams did not bite, nor further any talk.
Wall was the consensus #1 recruit in the country but his suitors were only Kentucky, Miami, Florida, and local schools NC State and Duke that actually continued his recruitment.
Thats because most schools either didn't have the space or were not interested in him at this point so late in the process.

TheGame414 06-01-2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Coaches generally are done recruiting at this period because the following recruiting class is on the horizon, you can look at John Wall for example.
He himself whether purposely or not tried to get UNC into his recruitment but Roy Williams did not bite, nor further any talk.

And John Wall has his own legal and academic issues.

There's nothing I'm "failing to understand" here, by the way, I'm just not going to slobber over a kid whose arrogance, legal troubles and academic troubles pile up way higher than his basketball abilities.

Do you not, by the way, feel a little silly constantly referencing him as "BR"? (And yes, I know what it stands for. Which is why you should feel silly, since he appears fairly unready for college.)

Interminator 06-01-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame414
I guess I'm an idiot, then. I doubt he puts up those kind of numbers unless he plays for a bad team where he's the undisputed star and isn't asked to share the ball (albeit I doubt he'd do so in a very efficient manner).

He could do so on a 22-12 type of team, not bad but he can carry a team with the offense structed around him.

Quote:

Lew Alcindor.

That was easy.

Want a couple more? Felipe Lopez, Sebastian Telfair and Stephon Marbury. That was easy.
Kareem played Catholic League, and Lance has more than 900 more points than him in HS.

Felipe, Telfair, and Marbury did not accomplish as much individually as BR did in HS.

BR was an impact player from day 1 as a HS freshman.

Quote:

You can't necessarily throw out that he's won four state titles and leave it at that because eras change, and NYC basketball isn't as strong as it was even a decade ago. I mean, Sergio McClain and Marcus Griffin won four state titles in Illinois at Peoria Manual, and even a national title. Even though they were very good players- Marcus was a McDonald's All-American, Sergio was Mr. Basketball and both were starters on Illinois' 2001 Elite Eight team- I could name tons of better players from Illinois who never won a state title, much less four of them.
Why are you comparing New York HS basketball to Illinois HS basketball to prove a point?

Its actually hilarious you are even trying to discuss NY HS basketball, its never fallen off in terms of the competitiveness of the leagues, if you're judging by how many NBA players have been produced in the last 5 years or so thats a pretty sad argument you're trying to bait.

Stephenson's legacy at the HS level in New York is uncomparable, so keep on trying.:oldlol: