Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Denver Nuggets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   OFFICIAL OFFSEASON: Needs & Questions (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133956)

Mile High Crew 06-01-2009 03:32 PM

OFFICIAL OFFSEASON: Needs & Questions

I think we mainly need a few basic acquisitions:

1. A big man, the Lakers exposed our small frontline and used it to their advantage.

2. A consistent 3 point shooter, we missed a lot of open 3's against L.A. and with maybe Kleiza out the door, JR needs help (even JR is inconsistent)

3. Draft a good young pg, this will allow the kid to develop under Chauncey

4. Bring the Birdman back

Questions?
1. Kleiza, Carter, and Jones, should they come back, who would you like to see come back?

2. Should we get a defender like Shane Battier whose specialty is to defend guys like Kobe, and make plays offensively? (Jones is a good defender, but lags offensive abilities and is a liability on defense like his multiple tripping incidents)

3. Where will K-Mart play if a big man comes in to play center?
(understanding that Nene may play PF)

If we are able to do and answer these question, I hear everyone in Colorado chanting...ch,ch,ch,ch, championship!

What are your thoughts, and who do you want to draft?

Mile High Crew 06-01-2009 03:39 PM

Re: OFFICIAL OFFSEASON: Needs & Questions

Here are some other questions, some are the same as mine by the Denver Stiffs:
http://www.denverstiffs.com/2009/05/...offseason.html

Richie2k6 06-01-2009 08:31 PM

Denver would be stupid to not bring back Andersen. And we definitely need another big, and a good backup PG. Nice points.

damorulz 06-02-2009 06:04 AM

been a aussie, i would love for denvor to pick up mills i think his name is, a young aussie PG,

ai9 06-02-2009 10:35 AM

Denver should probably keep jones and definitely birdman.

And how about bringing back ai? How do most denver fans feel about that? ai can finally play his natural position again, and a backcourt of billups, ai and jr smith would be unstoppable imo.

Mile High Crew 06-02-2009 04:54 PM

Here is another great article about the Nuggets offseason needs by Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12498708

This was a very good read, understanding that we need to add more complete pieces to win it all, even if we have to lose good guys like Jones, Carter, Kleiza, and etc. who have all contributed on this great run.

Mile High Crew 06-02-2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ai9
Denver should probably keep jones and definitely birdman.

And how about bringing back ai? How do most denver fans feel about that? ai can finally play his natural position again, and a backcourt of billups, ai and jr smith would be unstoppable imo.

I have always loved the idea with Billups, JR, and AI, but the reality is you got personalities and decision making clashing.

In our fantasy we would love to see them three, along with Melo, K-Mart, and Nene do it all, winning the championship, with pretty much an all star team with clutch players, I would like that too.

But in reality you got a toughminded, decision making leader in Billups then you got an immature, ball hawk, who is all about scoring in Iverson. Personalities will clash and tension will occur it is best that we keep the two away from one another.

LateNightNBA 06-02-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damorulz
been a aussie, i would love for denvor to pick up mills i think his name is, a young aussie PG,

I love Patrick Mills, but I would be very surprised if he didn't go mid-late first round.

Now for my views on the upcoming off-season...

The Nuggets already have close to $70 Million in salary committed to 9 players next season. So, with that said, I doubt Kroenke will want to spend too much money this summer. (Kenyon Martin's contract gives me chills whenever I look at it; anybody find it funny Kiki Vandeweghe took on that contract from the Nets, now works for them?)

Top priority is to re-sign Chris Andersen. There's obviously going to be quite a few teams who are going to make a run at him, and some will probably be willing to overpay. The Nuggets have the advantage because Andersen loves living in Denver, so an offer in the ballpark of another team's should do. If need be, I'd consider using the MLE to get him to stay. We'll see what the market is like for him in a month.

Next up is Linas Kleiza. In my opinion, if somebody is willing to pay him, let him go. He can score, but the games where he does seem to be few and far between. A couple of seasons ago many of us saw him as a player with a ton of potential and promise, but he has yet to improve/expand any aspect of his game. I don't see his departure hurting the Nuggets at all, and if they save money not signing him, it may make it more possible to upgrade at the PG/C position.

Let's touch on Dahntay Jones. Is he offensively challenged? Yes, definitely. He's only effective when cutting, getting out on the break or crashing the offensive boards. You cannot deny that he is a great perimeter defender, and that's exactly what the Nuggets need. Let's be realistic... he doesn't play all the much, the beginning minutes of each half unless he gets some garbage time, so while he's out there the Nuggets have no lack of offensive talent. Bring him back because he does add to your team, and allows you to bring J.R. Smith off the bench for some scoring with their second unit.

Anthony Carter... I don't like him as a back-up PG at all. He brings some tough defense, veteran leadership and can knock down the open jump shot at times, but as a PG his decision making is suspect at best. Too many bad pass and unforced turnovers by simply his bad judgement. Explore other options through free agency (Jason Williams, Stephon Marbury, Ronnie Price, Shannon Brown, Ramon Sessions, etc.) and the draft. Only re-sign AC as a last option if an upgrade is not available.

Sonny Weems' contract is un-guaranteed, but I'd like him to stick around. He was a good college player, put up great numbers during his time in the D-League, and showed some promise when he got minutes with the Nuggets. I think he'll end up being a solid contributor in this league.

Johan Petro & Jason Hart shouldn't be offered anything, unless the Nuggets need to fill out their roster with some cheap players.

Mile High Crew 06-04-2009 09:21 PM

Question: Is Patrick Mills an Aussie?, and is he the one who plays for the St. Mary's Gaels?

Anyways I saw that el gringos created a thread about Rasheed, ya know, I love the idea of bringing him to Denver he maybe the other "BIG" we need.

Imagine the starting bigs:
Sheed, Nene

Backups:
Birdman, K-Mart

That would be sick, then we'd just need to add a very talented and a good ball handling point guard. Oh yeah and a consistent 3pt shooter.

LateNightNBA 06-05-2009 01:30 AM

^ How do you plan on affording 'Sheed when it's been reported that he wants 8 million?

damorulz 06-05-2009 06:59 AM

Patrick Mills is aussie, i would like him for that fact :P. Of course i am a aussie not living over there in the USA. I have no idea what college team he plays for

JerzeyBlaze 06-05-2009 02:17 PM

I would like to add something here. I enjoy watching Denver and they are amongst my favorite teams to watch. I dont think that they are in desparate need of any pieces. Additional pieces to add what they already have will be great, but they have everything they need. They should have swept the Lakers. They handed the Lakers the series. The first 2 games should have been easily won. They are a championship team, they just didn't get it done.

If anything i would say add a really strong defender to the squad who can guard the 2,3,and the 4

Mile High Crew 06-05-2009 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightNBA
^ How do you plan on affording 'Sheed when it's been reported that he wants 8 million?

Seeing that we are just a few pieces away from being a team that can take on the Lakers I believe Stan Kroenke has shown that he is willing to spend money to win it all. Consider the various losses as well, if we want a guy like Sheed we will definitely give up LK and others.

Even if we get a guy like him I'm fine with, we just need another elite big guy in there that was our biggest weakness against LA.

But in reality I doubt we'll land Sheed, I was just saying that it would be a nice addition to our team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerzeyBlaze
I dont think that they are in desparate need of any pieces. Additional pieces to add what they already have will be great, but they have everything they need.

I disagree with you here, I don't think many other people understand that we are much better team than what you see against the Lakers.
We need another "BIG" because we have a pretty small frontline, when we are competing with teams that have Howard, Shaq, Yao, Pau, and etc. we are getting killed inside the paint.

We also need a good backup pg, AC was a good defender, but at times he was just too small to defend guys like Kobe. He also commits waay too many turnovers.

One thing that we really struggled on is 3's if we want to put the "nail on the coffin" then a consistent 3pt shooter is a needed addition. JR is good, but is inconsistent and erratic.

el gringos 06-06-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Crew
Seeing that we are just a few pieces away from being a team that can take on the Lakers I believe Stan Kroenke has shown that he is willing to spend money to win it all. Consider the various losses as well, if we want a guy like Sheed we will definitely give up LK and others.

Even if we get a guy like him I'm fine with, we just need another elite big guy in there that was our biggest weakness against LA.

But in reality I doubt we'll land Sheed, I was just saying that it would be a nice addition to our team.

I disagree with you here, I don't think many other people understand that we are much better team than what you see against the Lakers.
We need another "BIG" because we have a pretty small frontline, when we are competing with teams that have Howard, Shaq, Yao, Pau, and etc. we are getting killed inside the paint.

We also need a good backup pg, AC was a good defender, but at times he was just too small to defend guys like Kobe. He also commits waay too many turnovers.

One thing that we really struggled on is 3's if we want to put the "nail on the coffin" then a consistent 3pt shooter is a needed addition. JR is good, but is inconsistent and erratic.

Agree on pretty much all of that- really hope that first part is right and ownership will step up

I don't see why the nuggets and the trade exemptions wouldn't be the leading contendor for rasheed- none of the teams with capspace are any good and so nugs are the only good team that could pay him more than mle besides detroit

Bargnani
Rasheed
Okur
Hawes
Yi

Holiday
R foye
J teague
J jack

Only non pg/big I really want is bostjan nachbar who I think could play 4 and give the shooter needed- a 3/4 combo nachbar would be even more needed if kleiza isn't brought back(wich I think he should be)

el gringos 06-08-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateNightNBA
(Kenyon Martin's contract gives me chills whenever I look at it; anybody find it funny Kiki Vandeweghe took on that contract from the Nets, now works for them?)

Well joe dumars has already earned a job in denver when he's done w the pistons, if he trades rasheed too, than rasheed plus giving us carmelo and billups I say pay dumars double- he's the best gm in nugs history