Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   THB's Mock Lottery v1! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134034)

TarHeelBorn 06-01-2009 10:23 PM

THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
So I am pretty bored yet entirely engulfed in the NBA draft. I keep reading/hearing all kinds of projections/mocks/rumors and it got me thinking that this might be one of the most difficult drafts to predict in quite a while. The reason? A total lack of star power outside Griffin but a lot of decent potential from 2-20ish. So here we go:

1) Clippers = Blake Griffin...
Does anyone actually want or need an explanation?

2) Grizzlies = Thabeet...
I'd give it a 75% chance Memphis makes a move. Why? Because I don't think they really want Rubio, especially if he doesn't want to be there. They need bigs but Gasol is young and he had a solid rookie season so why take Thabeet? I think they try to trade up to 1 or down to 4 or 5 where they can take Hill or Harden and add another piece in the process.

3) Thunder = Harden...
I think this pick is defintely Thabeet if he makes it past Memphis. They need size and defense and that's what Thabeet is. If he's gone, I don't think anyone actually thinks Westbrook is a SG and they'd really be wasting the pick taking another PG. Anyways, while Westbrook isn't a SG, Harden definitely is.

4) Kings = Rubio...
The Kings are going to freak if this happens. Some might not be convinced he'll be special, I just don't see a team this in need of a PG passing on the consensus top PG prospect in the draft.

5) Wizards = Hill...
I think they should take a look at Holiday or another PG but they need size as well. If they take Hill, they will have a huge roster of Arenas, Butler, Jamison, Hill and Blatche/Haywood. With Harden gone it's Hill or a PG and I don't think they'll take a PG b/c NBA always want more size.

6) T-Wolves = Holiday...
To be honest, the T-Wolves need everything. Jefferson can't do it all and they really don't have anything else but there biggest need is at PG. I think Holiday's size (trumping Flynn) and true PG skills (trumping Curry) make him the answer here.

7) Warriors = Flynn...
Apparently Flynn is a hot commodity. The Warriors (like tons of other teams in the lottery) need a PG. Yes they have Monta Ellis but they need more of a floor leader and distributor. Flynn is a true PG and he has the speed and athleticism to run Golden State's offense.

8) Knicks = Curry...
I don't like Curry but apparently NBA GMs do. They won't get the shipped righted until they spend big bucks in 2010... Remember last year when LeBron was slobbering over Curry in the NCAAs? And I think I heard a few whispers that the Knicks are interested in the King. Yeah, it all adds up.

9) Raptors = DeRozan...
The Raptors have to give Bosh some help on offense if they want to have a chance to keep him. With Bosh and Calderon the two hardest pieces of a franchise to collect; a 20-10 big and a pass-first PG who can defend. Next step? A scoring wing. DeRozan is the answer.

10) Bucks = Jennings...
Apparently Jennings isn't working out in Europe and that's going to make him slip on draft night. But if the Yi situation taught us anything it's that the Bucks don't need to see a player to draft him! They'll give Clark and Blair looks b/c they need size next to Bogut but their biggest need is at PG.

11) Nets = Clark...
Oh New Jersey, how I despise thee. Clark is the perfect compliment to Yi. Similar to Toronto (but to a lesser extent), the Nets have a good PG and a good big. Unlike the Raptors, they have a scoring wing in Carter. They need help at the 3/4 and that's exactly what Clark is. Here's to hoping they want to give Lopez more help and they decide on Blair.

12) Bobcats = Evans...
I don't but Evans as a PG at all. We need depth at SG and PF. I don't think Henderson is a lottery talent and he is limited offensively. Evans showed flashes of defense at Memphis and I think Brown will bring it all the way out; oh and his amazing wingspan should help in that regard.

13) Pacers = Blair...
They desperately need a PG and bigs. Ford can work at PG for another season so they'll go big. Blair is undersized but as long as it gets. He will also bring toughness; which ever NBA team could use more of except maybe the Nuggets.

14) Suns = Johnson...
Johnson can play the 3 if they want to go big with Amare and Shaq or he will fit right in to their run and gun style as a quick, athletic 4 next to Amare at 5. The Suns need a lot so who knows.


I'm too tired to keep going to I'm gonna quit at the lottery...

acidbasesalt 06-02-2009 01:42 AM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Try mocking a baseball draft and see how long it takes. :applause:

rufuspaul 06-02-2009 09:45 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
So where do you have Henderson going?

TarHeelBorn 06-02-2009 11:54 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Chicago. Replacing Ben Gordon at less than 1/2 the price!

Timmeh 06-03-2009 04:12 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
How about we sign JJ Redick? As someone who hates Duke, I can't believe I just proposed that BUT:

It's not like he still is on Duke (even though for some reason I hate Boozer and Battier as if they still were), he played pretty good in the playoffs, and he'd be a relatively inexpensive backup for Raja Bell.

TarHeelBorn 06-03-2009 10:05 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
How about we sign JJ Redick? As someone who hates Duke, I can't believe I just proposed that BUT:

It's not like he still is on Duke (even though for some reason I hate Boozer and Battier as if they still were), he played pretty good in the playoffs, and he'd be a relatively inexpensive backup for Raja Bell.

I'm just going to assume this is a joke. There are a whole lot of back-up SGs we could find; including one we just traded (Shannon Brown... talk about a good playoffs).

acidbasesalt 06-04-2009 03:32 AM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
I'm just going to assume this is a joke. There are a whole lot of back-up SGs we could find; including one we just traded (Shannon Brown... talk about a good playoffs).


That's very true, but should the team focus on acquiring a defense specialist or offense specialist?

TarHeelBorn 06-04-2009 07:40 AM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
That's very true, but should the team focus on acquiring a defense specialist or offense specialist?

Everything depends on what happens in the draft. If we get a Gerald Henderson, then go offense. If we get an Evans or a DeRozan, then we'll need defense. But, no point in getting a 2 guard in free agency if we take one in the lottery.

Timmeh 06-04-2009 03:18 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
I am being dead serious. Redick is done in Orlando, and he'll go somewhere fairly inexpensively. Raja is primarily defense-oriented, Redick is offense.

acidbasesalt 06-04-2009 10:23 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
I am being dead serious. Redick is done in Orlando, and he'll go somewhere fairly inexpensively. Raja is primarily defense-oriented, Redick is offense.


Well...Redick reminds people jackass Morrison who did not play well at all and the two players are similar in style. I recommend a veteran instead of an inexperienced jump shooter.

Timmeh 06-05-2009 11:29 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Yes, but the difference between Morrison and Redick is that Redick hasn't had the well-documented confidence issues like Morrison has. However, I do see your point.

onewickedlady 06-06-2009 04:17 PM

Re: THB's Mock Lottery v1!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
I am being dead serious. Redick is done in Orlando, and he'll go somewhere fairly inexpensively. Raja is primarily defense-oriented, Redick is offense.


Does Redick have an upside? How much is he capable of improving his play if he does come to the Cats?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy