Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Foreign players in the NBA draft (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134209)

SsKSpurs21 06-03-2009 01:59 PM

Foreign players in the NBA draft

I think that if foreign players want to enter the NBA draft, they should be 100% committed. if you enter the draft, you should already have a buyout negotiated with your old team and you should be obligated to go to the team that selects you. This ricky rubio saga is crap. how can a rookie threaten a team that is going to select him by saying that if he doesnt get his way he will go back to europe? the team then has to re-evaluate who they will pick etc. if they pick him and he goes back to europe they lose out on a top 3 pick. or if they pick him and he cannot get out of his contract then they lose out.

it should be the teams choice if they want to keep you overseas or bring you over, not the players choice.

what do you think?

Hammertime 06-03-2009 02:02 PM

Re: Foreign players in the NBA draft

Quote:

Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
I think that if foreign players want to enter the NBA draft, they should be 100% committed. if you enter the draft, you should already have a buyout negotiated with your old team and you should be obligated to go to the team that selects you. This ricky rubio saga is crap. how can a rookie threaten a team that is going to select him by saying that if he doesnt get his way he will go back to europe? the team then has to re-evaluate who they will pick etc. if they pick him and he goes back to europe they lose out on a top 3 pick. or if they pick him and he cannot get out of his contract then they lose out.

it should be the teams choice if they want to keep you overseas or bring you over, not the players choice.

what do you think?

I think you're a moron. The purpose of existence of European basketball leagues isn't solely to provide the NBA with players.

Torious 06-03-2009 02:13 PM

If I'm not mistaken the team drafting him still retains the rights for the player even if he doesn't intend to play for them. So they don't lose a pick, they gain a trade piece. He can't just sign up with another team after refusing to go over.

Do you really want to see them drag players kicking and screaming to the team that drafted them?

LJJ 06-03-2009 02:19 PM

In most professional sport leagues, you can sign with whoever the hell you want, for whatever the hell you want.
Not enter a draft, where if you are one of the best players you will surely land on one of the year in year out ****tiest teams, not even be able to negotiate a contract and having to play there for 5 seasons.

This draft silliness needs to stop.

SsKSpurs21 06-03-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime
I think you're a moron. The purpose of existence of European basketball leagues isn't solely to provide the NBA with players.

i didnt say that was their main purpose tool. i said that if a player wants to make himself eligible for the draft then he should be 100% certain that he will come over and play for the team that drafts him. similar to how if a college players makes himself eligible for the draft, he cannot back out and say that he wants to remain in college, or high school players when they made themselves eligible for the draft they could not back out and say they want to go to college.

Hammertime 06-03-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
i didnt say that was their main purpose tool. i said that if a player wants to make himself eligible for the draft then he should be 100% certain that he will come over and play for the team that drafts him. similar to how if a college players makes himself eligible for the draft, he cannot back out and say that he wants to remain in college, or high school players when they made themselves eligible for the draft they could not back out and say they want to go to college.

What if a player doesn't make himself eligible? When you're 22, you're eligible for the draft one way or another? You can get drafted very much against your will. What then?

And a college player can also choose to play in Europe instead of the NBA. Being drafted does not automatically make him an NBA player. Hell, Jennings could get drafted, decide he doesn't like the situation, and simply activate his player option with Lottomatica for another year, forcing a buyout eventually.

And again, NBA isn't the be-all and end-all.

GoldMedallist 06-03-2009 03:42 PM

The problem is considering rookies and putting in draft players who are fully professional.

Players from overseas leagues should be free agents, not draft material.

lakers_forever 06-03-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
In most professional sport leagues, you can sign with whoever the hell you want, for whatever the hell you want.
Not enter a draft, where if you are one of the best players you will surely land on one of the year in year out ****tiest teams, not even be able to negotiate a contract and having to play there for 5 seasons.

This draft silliness needs to stop.

Football/Soccer is played all around the world. There is not a league like the NBA that all the best players go to. Draft and salary cap are essential for the NBA and it's franchises. It allows most teams to have a star player.

Without draft and salary cap, It would not be fair. Lakers could have a team like:

PG: Paul
SG: Kobe
SF: Lebron
PF: Garnett
C: Howard

GoldMedallist 06-03-2009 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakers_forever
Football/Soccer is played all around the world. There is not a league like the NBA that all the best players go to. Draft and salary cap are essential for the NBA and it's franchises. It allows most teams to have a star player.

Without draft and salary cap, It would not be fair. Lakers could have a team like:

You only need salary cap for that. Draft is useful, but not needed. Instead of draft, let's forbid luxury tax, and don't allow any team to surpass the limit.

Hammertime 06-03-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

If someone's willing to pay 150 million a year for just the starting 5, why not?

GUUS 06-03-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Do you think it's fair to make great players like KG and good ones like Chris Bosh rot in crappy franchises like the Wolves or Raptors???

Lakas Fan Yo 06-03-2009 04:12 PM

The foreign players don't have a say in it. Once you are in your age 22 year you can be drafted even if you ask not to be. Even if you state you do not want to be drafted. Every year there is some European player drafted that specifically asked teams not to draft them.

The NBA doesn't even consider the players to have any say or right in it.

SsKSpurs21 06-03-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammertime
What if a player doesn't make himself eligible? When you're 22, you're eligible for the draft one way or another? You can get drafted very much against your will. What then?

this goes along with my first point. it should be your choice to go into the draft. you shouldnt be drafted against your will. but if you are in the draft then you should be 100% committed, and you should understand the consequences that you could go to a crappy team.

Quote:

And a college player can also choose to play in Europe instead of the NBA. Being drafted does not automatically make him an NBA player. Hell, Jennings could get drafted, decide he doesn't like the situation, and simply activate his player option with Lottomatica for another year, forcing a buyout eventually.

And again, NBA isn't the be-all and end-all.

i understand that its a win-win for the player because if he decides if he doesnt like the situation he can always get out.

but iam looking at this from the franchises point of view. its not fair for the franchise to select this player, then have the player decide he doesnt want to be there and bail on them. i understand you still own his rights, and it can be used as trade bait but you still lose out on a young player who could potentially help your team. i dont think draft eligible players should be able to hold the franchise hostage by saying its my way or else...especially if they are foreign rookies.

SsKSpurs21 06-03-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
The foreign players don't have a say in it. Once you are in your age 22 year you can be drafted even if you ask not to be. Even if you state you do not want to be drafted. Every year there is some European player drafted that specifically asked teams not to draft them.

The NBA doesn't even consider the players to have any say or right in it.

see this is moronic. why would you make a player eligible if they have no intention of coming over. problem #1. this rule needs to be changed.

i guess now i can understand rubio's issue. my understanding was that he himself entered the draft, then decided that if memphis chooses him then he will remain overseas. i was not aware that foreign players are entered into the draft regardless of if they intend to go to the NBA or not. stupid stupid rule.