Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Ricky Rubio seeking buyout from Spain (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134932)

blacknapalm 06-09-2009 05:20 AM

Ricky Rubio seeking buyout from Spain

Spain's Ricky Rubio, projected as a top-five pick in the draft, notified his team, DKV Joventut, that he wants to terminate his contract.
Rubio is asking out of his contract, as well as challenging a 4.75 million Euro (approximately $6.6 million) buyout, which increases to 5.75 million Euros after June 30. "The [buyout] clauses are disproportionate to his salary -- abusive clauses," Rubio's father, Esteban, told ESPN. "We want to know, if he really left, whether or not he'd have to pay these amounts."

- ESPN reporting

TheGrassIsGreen 06-09-2009 05:24 AM

Re: Rubio Says Bye to Europe

Link?

blacknapalm 06-09-2009 05:28 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...e=NBAHeadlines

blacknapalm 06-09-2009 05:33 AM

this might be a rehash, but any thoughts on this kid? now that it's almost official, i'm not sure about him. he only scored 6 points in the gold medal game. i've watched "highlights" and i wasn't overly impressed. i don't know, anyone watch euro ball that could give perspective? it's not so much the physical thing, it just normally takes a couple years for european players to adjust styles to begin with.

if he turns into any sort of steve nash lite, he will be a steal. NBA comparison? kirk hinrich?

cotdt 06-09-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

In the 110-106 double overtime finale victory over Russia, Rubio scored 51 points, the first player to do so in FIBA tournaments since Luol Deng, grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball seven times, a performance unprecedented in the tournament's history. He also forced the first overtime with a three-point, buzzer-beating shot from mid-court.

He doesn't shoot the ball very well, but he is only 18 and can improve.

Toizumi 06-09-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknapalm
this might be a rehash, but any thoughts on this kid? now that it's almost official, i'm not sure about him. he only scored 6 points in the gold medal game. i've watched "highlights" and i wasn't overly impressed. i don't know, anyone watch euro ball that could give perspective? it's not so much the physical thing, it just normally takes a couple years for european players to adjust styles to begin with.

if he turns into any sort of steve nash lite, he will be a steal. NBA comparison? kirk hinrich?

There are a lot of threads about how Rubio's gonna do in the NBA. But you made a good comparison there. I think Hinrich is a better shooter, but Ricky has better court vision and ball handling. Hinrich is great on D, but Rubio might turn out even better on that end (DPOY in Spain). strange how he didnt even make 100.000$ last year and has a buy out close to 5 mill (that's gonna become even higher after june 30th) :hammerhead:

Waking_Life 06-09-2009 05:46 AM

Rubios' situation sucks, big time. Usually just making it to NBA equates to hitting it big, lotto style... but Ricky has to freakin' pay his way in...

He better find his way to N.Y. so he can recoup the cash he forfeited.

KeylessEntry 06-09-2009 05:50 AM

I am glad to hear its official that Rubio will be in the NBA next year.

I think Rubios NBA comparison is more like Jason Williams. Kirk Hinrich will never be able to pass the ball like Rubio. On the other hand, Kirk is about 10 miles better at shooting than Rubio.

I think Rubio will be pretty good when it's all said and done, probably somewhere around Steve Nash with a bad jumper. Or maybe a bad rebounding version of Kidd.

YAWN 06-09-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waking_Life
Rubios' situation sucks, big time. Usually just making it to NBA equates to hitting it big, lotto style... but Ricky has to freakin' pay his way in...

He better find his way to N.Y. so he can recoup the cash he forfeited.

the guy will sign a couple of endorsement deals the second he is drafted and it will cover the buyout and then some

blacknapalm 06-09-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt
He doesn't shoot the ball very well, but he is only 18 and can improve.

ya i read that before. impressive on paper, no doubt. he has a lot of potential. i think his defense will translate the most to the NBA. i'm just not so sure about everything else. he has good court vision, which is something you can't always teach so that's a good thing. i just honestly lack his speed to get into the paint with an iffy jumper. he won't see terrible pick n' roll defense on most nights in the NBA. he's not nearly as strong as rajon rondo and that's saying something.

anyway, wish the kid luck. i never wanna see players fail.

blacknapalm 06-09-2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toizumi
There are a lot of threads about how Rubio's gonna do in the NBA. But you made a good comparison there. I think Hinrich is a better shooter, but Ricky has better court vision and ball handling. Hinrich is great on D, but Rubio might turn out even better on that end (DPOY in Spain). strange how he didnt even make 100.000$ last year and has a buy out close to 5 mill (that's gonna become even higher after june 30th) :hammerhead:

ya that's bs. how can a buyout in a non-contract year be that high? european labor laws are strange man. i mean, he signed it but he's also been playing there for years. :ohwell:

TheGrassIsGreen 06-09-2009 05:57 AM

From the little that I've seen Rubio, he seems to have an intuitive understanding of angles. This, I think, will translate best to the NBA and why I think he will be succesful. You don't need speed if you are two steps ahead of your opponent.

His shot is awful though. It would be most apprent in half-court sets, so he's better off on a team that runs or in a motion offense. I'd love to see him on the Knicks. IMO, he'd be most succesful there as a rookie.

InspiredLebowski 06-09-2009 07:11 AM

Someone tell me if Rubio's alleged defensive attributes will translate well to the NBA's no contact on the perimeter rules.

Toizumi 06-09-2009 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Someone tell me if Rubio's alleged defensive attributes will translate well to the NBA's no contact on the perimeter rules.

they should. He's a solid on ball defender (think Hinrich or a younger J-Kidd) and he knows how to play the passing lanes. I think he'll have a really tough time against the more physical PG's though (Chauncey and Paul down low)

adamcz 06-09-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

I don't really see it. He isn't strong or quick (meaning quick by NBA pg standards). What will make him a good defender on the perimeter?

From what I can judge from highlight videos (there's a good 10 minute one on youtube), and the one or two complete games I've seen, Rubio is a legit top-5 pick in this weak draft based mostly on his size and pg instincts. But this is a gamble pick based on potential, and he'll have to improve a lot to become a top 10 NBA pg. And isn't that the minimum you'd want to shoot for with the #2 pick in any draft?