Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Memphis Grizzlies Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137320)

J-Memphis 06-26-2009 12:40 PM

The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
For the last few years the Grizzlies have picked up decent pieces while trying to recover their image after the notorious Pau Gasol trade. But the moves for O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay and the acquisitions of Marc Gasol and Mike Conley haven't done much for the win column, and the Grizzlies Front Office routinely gets hammered for their lack of commitment to winning.

Over the past 3 seasons anytime the Memphis Grizzlies are mentioned by ESPN or NBA TV, it is either a joke we've heard over and over or another reference to the Pau trade. Maybe the worst part about being a Grizz fan is having to hear about them and the famous mistakes over and over again.

However, while the National Media has hammered us over this, the die-hard fans supported most of these moves (Mayo, Gay, M. Gasol).

But yesterday the story flipped.


With the drafting of Hasheem Thabeet, Carroll, and Young, almost all of the national pundits are applauding the Grizz. Chad Ford has said some pretty nice things in his recent articles, and NBA TV sounded like Chris Wallace himself when talking about our improvements in defense.

So for at least a day the national media is playing nice with the Grizzlies.

Many of the die-hard fans, however, are taking up where the media left off. Many of us dread the idea of the 2nd overall pick "competing" for a spot in the starting lineup. Whether or not, Thabeet can play alongside Gasol is a big question. Bottom line: The draft did not exactly infuse incredible amounts of hope in the fan base.

So while for the last few years, loyal fans have gotten excited over some of the moves while the media has demolished any credibility the Grizzlies had. And yesterday with their draft selections, the Grizz found an unusual friend in the media, while many fans woke up feeling punched in the gut.

I'm not sure which initial reaction will turn out to be prophetic, but I think it is interesting how different the scene is for the Grizzlies in the national spotlight and in the eyes of the fanbase at least for today. Any thoughts on this are welcome.

BigSims2108 06-26-2009 01:30 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Memphis
For the last few years the Grizzlies have picked up decent pieces while trying to recover their image after the notorious Pau Gasol trade. But the moves for O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay and the acquisitions of Marc Gasol and Mike Conley haven't done much for the win column, and the Grizzlies Front Office routinely gets hammered for their lack of commitment to winning.

Over the past 3 seasons anytime the Memphis Grizzlies are mentioned by ESPN or NBA TV, it is either a joke we've heard over and over or another reference to the Pau trade. Maybe the worst part about being a Grizz fan is having to hear about them and the famous mistakes over and over again.

However, while the National Media has hammered us over this, the die-hard fans supported most of these moves (Mayo, Gay, M. Gasol).

But yesterday the story flipped.


With the drafting of Hasheem Thabeet, Carroll, and Young, almost all of the national pundits are applauding the Grizz. Chad Ford has said some pretty nice things in his recent articles, and NBA TV sounded like Chris Wallace himself when talking about our improvements in defense.

So for at least a day the national media is playing nice with the Grizzlies.

Many of the die-hard fans, however, are taking up where the media left off. Many of us dread the idea of the 2nd overall pick "competing" for a spot in the starting lineup. Whether or not, Thabeet can play alongside Gasol is a big question. Bottom line: The draft did not exactly infuse incredible amounts of hope in the fan base.

So while for the last few years, loyal fans have gotten excited over some of the moves while the media has demolished any credibility the Grizzlies had. And yesterday with their draft selections, the Grizz found an unusual friend in the media, while many fans woke up feeling punched in the gut.

I'm not sure which initial reaction will turn out to be prophetic, but I think it is interesting how different the scene is for the Grizzlies in the national spotlight and in the eyes of the fanbase at least for today. Any thoughts on this are welcome.


Well, Memphis is my one true home and I will be behind the Tigers and Griz no matter what. I was pretty satisfied with our draft last night. I mean, at least we didn't do something that didn't make sense like the T'wolves drafting like 4 PG, (even tho they traded Lawson and Calathes). Anything else we need to resolve, we can take care of at free agency. Unlike a lot of people here, I have patience and faith in my team. And if Mr. Ford likes what the griz did, he who has bashed the griz more than anyone(and he admitted it), we are making progress. Fans can say what they want about Thabeet, but drafting Evans or Rubio would make even less sense than drafting Thabeet. I know my loyality to the griz threatened to jump off the memphis bridge if we drafted Thabeet, but I thought about it, and I think it could work out. Bottomline, I'm just saying, give the guy a chance.

J-Memphis 06-26-2009 01:38 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
I'm willing to give them a chance - especially Thabeet - but I wasn't ecstatic about the selection at number 2. But that's not really what I am concerned about here.

I'm just more amused at how the party that usually hates us has been pretty encouraging about the draft, and the group that usually has the most support for the Grizzlies' moves are the ones up in arms about Thabeet.

Things could or could not work out. Either way, the past day or so has been a cool switch from the norm.

BigSims2108 06-26-2009 02:14 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Memphis
I'm willing to give them a chance - especially Thabeet - but I wasn't ecstatic about the selection at number 2. But that's not really what I am concerned about here.

I'm just more amused at how the party that usually hates us has been pretty encouraging about the draft, and the group that usually has the most support for the Grizzlies' moves are the ones up in arms about Thabeet.

Things could or could not work out. Either way, the past day or so has been a cool switch from the norm.


Yeah, I don't really know what those "in arms" fans want. Wallace and Heisley both said that they were on the phones all night long, and weren't getting good offers. One trade I heard about was Marko to the Clippers for Randolph, but I don't know if it was true or not. Not only that, the "in-arms" fans are also the fans who wanted to draft former tigers on this team. As much as I love the tigers, THIS IS A NBA FRANCHISE, NOT A TIGER REUNION!!:hammerhead:

Other than that, I extend my congrats to Tyreke and Dozier for being drafted. Also, I go to the same college he just graduated from, but good luck to my boy, former UT-Martin Skyhawk, 2 time Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Year, Lester Hudson! Good luck with the C's!

jailer 06-26-2009 07:34 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
No matter what our team is already better than last years team, talent wise

J-Memphis 06-26-2009 07:47 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Talent wise: Yes. But that happens almost every draft. Unless you give up a great player like the Suns or Nets did, you almost have to come out ahead talent wise after a draft. It would be hard to come out weaker talent wise when all you can virtually do is add players.

I think its a given talent wise. Its a whole different story "win-wise" and "reputation-wise".

jailer 06-26-2009 07:51 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Memphis
Talent wise: Yes. But that happens almost every draft. Unless you give up a great player like the Suns or Nets did, you almost have to come out ahead talent wise after a draft. It would be hard to come out weaker talent wise when all you can virtually do is add players.

I think its a given talent wise. Its a whole different story "win-wise" and "reputation-wise".


Not true I dont think the t'wolves are better now. They trade away miller and foye. I honestly think their two new guards will not be as effective.

BigSims2108 06-26-2009 08:03 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jailer
Not true I dont think the t'wolves are better now. They trade away miller and foye. I honestly think their two new guards will not be as effective.


I've heard that the griz had numerous offers last night to get Zach Randolph. Thank god that didn't happen. He is only and offensive player and he has a TERRIBLE contract.

J-Memphis 06-26-2009 11:43 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jailer
Not true I dont think the t'wolves are better now. They trade away miller and foye. I honestly think their two new guards will not be as effective.


fair enough. but like you said they traded 2 key pieces away. in a normal situation where you just pick up guys like we have, you are bound to get better.

im not saying this is a concrete fact. it just happens more often than not, so we shouldn't be blown away just because we got better "talent-wise".

if it is a travesty when a team doesn't get better "talent-wise" then its not a big deal when a team improves "talent-wise". that by definition what the draft is for.

jailer 06-27-2009 12:55 AM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Memphis
fair enough. but like you said they traded 2 key pieces away. in a normal situation where you just pick up guys like we have, you are bound to get better.

im not saying this is a concrete fact. it just happens more often than not, so we shouldn't be blown away just because we got better "talent-wise".

if it is a travesty when a team doesn't get better "talent-wise" then its not a big deal when a team improves "talent-wise". that by definition what the draft is for.

Ofcourse the draft gives you immediate cheap help. Im not declaring that after this draft that the griz are bound for the playoffs. I was just saying that after the draft and after alot of our garbage players are released our team looks better already.

FIXED 07-06-2009 03:47 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
I don't think anybody though Marc Gasol would be so good.

jailer 07-07-2009 12:05 AM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FIXED
I don't think anybody though Marc Gasol would be so good.

All of his fans from spain did.

BigSims2108 07-07-2009 11:52 AM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Every Griz fan just needs to accept the fact that the media has been bashing the griz since we traded Pau away. It's not what we traded it's what we got back is why the media won't get off our backs. They are trying to move on from this and concentrate on their future, but media from ESPN, SI.com, Hoopsworld won't leave them alone. Pretty much the only sight I've read that have given the griz ANY slack for the Randolph trade and our draft were the guys on NBA.com.

jailer 07-07-2009 03:40 PM

Re: The Memphis Grizzlies Paradox
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSims2108
Every Griz fan just needs to accept the fact that the media has been bashing the griz since we traded Pau away. It's not what we traded it's what we got back is why the media won't get off our backs. They are trying to move on from this and concentrate on their future, but media from ESPN, SI.com, Hoopsworld won't leave them alone. Pretty much the only sight I've read that have given the griz ANY slack for the Randolph trade and our draft were the guys on NBA.com.

Most of the news outlets that I have read have all said that they liked the grizzlies draft.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy