Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Artest a mistake (Article) (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138310)

WiltTheStilt 07-03-2009 11:31 AM

Artest a mistake (Article)

I just read this in the Los Angeles Times. I don't know how to post an article but this is the link to it.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1013056.column

I dont think I agree with alot of the artical but there is stuff I agree with.

JetDeveloper 07-03-2009 11:57 AM

Re: Artest a mistake

Artest is a troublemaker. He picks off fights easily and will cause lots of tension in close games.

D-Rose 07-03-2009 12:09 PM

Plaschke is a moron. This keeps Odom for us and also Artest can contain guys like Melo. LBJ, Manu, etc that would dominate Ariza.

JellyBean 07-03-2009 12:24 PM

I love Bill, but in this case...the dude is off his meds!! Like D-Rose just said, if all goes well and we keep L.O., the addition of Artest will help our team and overall defense greatly. Artest will contain the likes of King James, Melo, Manu, and Richard Jefferson. Plus, the addition of Artest gives us that nastiness, or toughness, that we "supposedly" lacked. Also, think about it, we have now a lethal defensive tandem of Kobe and Artest, with a Gasol and Bynum having their backs.

Of course some GMs and players are hoping that this deal blows up in our faces, but I love this move by Mitch.

Dang!! Can the season start now?:cheers:

The Magic Man 07-03-2009 12:31 PM

Man, people riding the "Ariza > Artest bus" are trippin...hard. You guys should seriously start judging talent with your eyes and brains instead of your heart. Look, I love that dude Ariza. Those two pivotal steals in the playoffs. His Finals performance! If we were in person after Game 4, I would've kissed him on the mouth, yes homo! But come on. There is not one single area of his game that is better than Artest's. Artest is nutty, but we all know Phil can handle that. And there is no way Kobe allows this dude to f*ck things up by jacking ill advised shots (wich is something Trevor had a tendancy to do himself). I think Ron will be on his best behavior as seen in Houston. Watch, come June you guys will be all onboard with this move. Mitch is great. Now if we can just lock up Odom and S. Dot, then dump Sasha and Luke for Popeye's 2 piece, we'll be in business.

lakerfreak 07-03-2009 12:40 PM

Ariza was a better fit?

I don't remember watching Artest play with the lakers to see how well he fit...

Very ammature of plascke.

D-Rose 07-03-2009 12:48 PM

I'd LOVE to see Dahntay Jones try and trip Kobe now...Ron would beat his ass :lol

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST 07-03-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WiltTheStilt
I just read this in the Los Angeles Times. I don't know how to post an article but this is the link to it.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...1013056.column

I dont think I agree with alot of the artical but there is stuff I agree with.

Ariza was a nice player, but he was replaceable. Artest gives this team " an edge" that it seemed to be missing ( other than Kobe). There's nothing wrong with making changes even if you win the title. Ariza played out of his mind in the playoffs. Do people really think he's going to shoot 50% from 3 Pt in the playoffs again? He just got hot at the right time. Solid player, but Artest will bring more value. plus Phil does a great job keeping guys like Artest in check.

All Net 07-03-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Rose
Plaschke is a moron. This keeps Odom for us and also Artest can contain guys like Melo. LBJ, Manu, etc that would dominate Ariza.

I try to avoid his articles as much as possible.

bladefd 07-03-2009 02:31 PM

I found this really good article on his website from a couple years back that talks about who Artest really is as a person (forget on the court for a moment). I enjoyed reading it, and I am sure you guys will also, who may not be very familiar with Artest. He is a different kind of human-being and probably very different than what you are used to meeting. I started a new thread too with this article, but it got deleted. I dunno exactly why it was deleted because there is a HUGE difference between Artest the player and Artest the person. Unfortunately, this thread has nothing to do with the articles I found at all whatsoever, but bear with me. Every Artest thread so far was about Artest the player (including this one) not Artest the person but no comment.... Some people are not even worth it. :mad:

BTW - The only thing is that this article is in PDF format so you will need Adobe Reader if you don't have it already. I don't know if it is possible to copy/paste the text so I will just link to the page.

Here's the link: http://ronartest.com/Article_ESPN.pdf

Here are some more articles if anyone is bored or just wants to learn more about Artest off the court:
http://ronartest.com/Article_Dime.pdf
http://ronartest.com/Article_NewsDay1.pdf
http://ronartest.com/Article_Sactown1.pdf
http://ronartest.com/Article_Sactown2.pdf
http://ronartest.com/Article_NewJerseyStarLedger.pdf

Looptroop 07-03-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Net
I try to avoid his articles as much as possible.

Me too. He's the epitome of "hack."

Back to basketball though, lets look at this objectively. I love Ariza as much as the next Laker fan (plus I'm a UCLA fan), but, do you think he'll ever be as good as Artest can be? Maybe, but I think it'll take the right coaching to properly utilize his freakish athleticism. Artest has proved he can be a 20 and 6 guy AND a defensive stopper wherever he goes.

I think the personality doubts are relatively unwarranted. The media likes to portray Artest as some sort of hulking sociopath, who could rape your white women with the slightest provocation. He's a passionate athlete, and the stuff in the series against the Lakers was more the fault of officiating than Artest actually doing anything wrong.

Plus, Phil Jackson once coached Dennis Rodman. :cheers:

YAWN 07-03-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Rose
Plaschke is a moron.

one of the truest statements i have ever read on this site

crisoner 07-03-2009 02:48 PM

Artest brings to the Lakers...

Another lock down defensive player
He can hit 3's spread the floor
He can also be used in the post dude is strong
He can grab boards
Artest is mean...who will call LA soft now?
Artest is a fierce competitor just like Kobe and Fish
He has good ties with Lamar
Most of all Artest is hungry for a ring

The article wrote is bullsh*t....

Let's hope for a healthy season for this Lakers team next year...and for Phil
If all that happens we will retain the title straight up.

GO LAKES!!!!!!!!!

alexthegod 07-03-2009 03:03 PM

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

here is a flip view article lol

Lakers look to Artest to fill dramatic role

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 12 hours, 7 minutes ago

Kobe Bryant(notes) always admired that Ron Artest(notes) never acted like he wanted an autograph when duty demanded that he defend him. He loved that Artest was combustible and crazy and always left people wondering: Is this the moment when Ron-Ron loses his mind again, when all hell breaks loose?
Deep down, Bryant wanted Artest on his side. Artest gives a thirtysomething Kobe what Dennis Rodman gave a thirtysomething Michael Jordan: A belligerent, tough guy bearing the burden of protecting the superstar’s back.
And as far back as the Western Conference playoffs, the Lakers believed Artest wanted to trade Houston for Hollywood, that the Rockets’ decaying cornerstone of Yao Ming(notes) and Tracy McGrady(notes) turned that team into a temporary rehab assignment.
“If they couldn’t get Trevor [Ariza] cheap,” said a source with knowledge of the Lakers’ free-agent plans, “they had Ron in their back pocket.”
Change is good for a defending champion. When the rest of the NBA’s elite – Cleveland, Orlando and Boston are getting better – the champion can’t just stand pat. As an executive and a player chasing repeat titles, Detroit’s Joe Dumars says, “I like to make one significant change in that second year.”
This gives the Lakers something to incorporate, to work through, across a long training camp and regular season. This way, they aren’t tempted to just coast until the playoffs. This changes the dynamic for everyone, and give Artest this: Around him, there’s never complacency.

Bryant never campaigned for Artest over Ariza, his loyalty with the hot-shooting kid who helped him win a championship without Shaquille O’Neal(notes). In the long run, the Lakers were wiser to keep the young Ariza to transition into a post-Kobe stardom. Yet, general manager Mitch Kupchak barely blinked when Ariza’s agent, David Lee, started talking like a tough guy, parading his client on what one rival GM called “a leverage tour.”
The Lakers don’t believe he’ll leave, Lee kept barking. Surprise, surprise: Lee didn’t think the Lakers would tell him to get lost, sign Artest and leave Ariza to take the five-year, $33 million deal in Houston he could’ve had in L.A.
“I told Mitch that it was never about the money; it was about respect,” Lee told NBA.com.
Well, take your respect and pack your client’s bags for post-Yao lottery land in Houston. Respect? Yes, there are American soldiers and missionaries in faraway lands cheering for David Lee and this noble stand for the neglected and disenfranchised everywhere. It is about respect, and God knows a $33 million offer for Ariza’s eight points and four rebounds a game rates a disgraceful act.
No, this wasn’t about the money, nor his client’s needs. This was a failed power play, an embarrassment of the highest order. Looking back, Ariza will rue the day. He’s a good player, but he’ll never be a star elsewhere. He’ll just be another player on another team.
“He was way too emotional about this,” said a league executive who had talked to Lee in recent days.
Yet, you can be a star without being a star with the Lakers. When L.A. is winning championships, the role players become commodities. They get endorsements. They get television careers. Ask Rick Fox. Or Derek Fisher(notes). Ariza was an L.A. kid living a dream, 24 years old, a gifted, young talent on the defending champion, and his agent’s bluff backfired.
Now, Artest trades places with Ariza, and the Lakers get a dimension they haven’t had in a long, long time. Perhaps three or four years ago, Artest couldn’t have handled living and playing in L.A. He gives the Lakers sheer nastiness, and as an executive with one of his past teams said Thursday night, “Ronnie will show everyone that he can win. I think he’s matured, and overall, he’ll be on his best behavior. Phil [Jackson] has been through this before with Rodman. He’ll handle this.”
Ultimately, it wasn’t Jackson who made it work for two titles with Rodman in Chicago, but Jordan. The locker room is policed by the superstar, never the coach. Artest is the right player, right time for Bryant. As Kobe hits his 30s, he can’t be chasing the best player on defense every night. Now, Artest gets the job. What’s more, Kobe gets a maniac who will want to please him, get his approval. Anything is possible with Ron-Ron running roughshod in Los Angeles.
“I hope it’s chaos,” a Western Conference GM texted Thursday night.
And maybe, in some ways, that won’t be the worst thing in the world for the Lakers. Chaos? That’s letting your agent’s agenda and big mouth get your butt shipped from the Los Angeles Lakers for lottery land in Houston. Kobe Bryant had been willing to take back his whole team, but Ariza made the mistake of giving the Lakers what they always wanted, what they always believed was available to them: the combustible and crazy Ron Artest.
Kobe Bryant gets his Rodman now, and yes, this is how all hell breaks loose in Hollywood.

kobesabi 07-03-2009 04:05 PM

Kobe is a hot head person who argues and get Technical foul alot...Artest is another. That worries me.

So he's suppose to be the new Dennis Rodman under Phil?