Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pau Gasol will play for Spain at Euro Championship (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138567)

All Net 07-05-2009 09:00 AM

Pau Gasol will play for Spain at Euro Championship

Quote:

ALICANTE, Spain (AP) -- Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol will play for Spain in September in the European Basketball Championship.

Gasol said Friday that it was an easy decision after winning the NBA finals.

"The season went really well for me and now I want to defend our country," Gasol said. "We're really hopeful about the team we have, but we can't go there with a mentality that we'll be playing the final just because we're really good."

World champion Spain, upset by Russia in the European final at Madrid in 2007, is one of the favorites going to Poland after a silver-medal performance in Olympics.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/03/p....ap/index.html

Anybody else wish he would rest up and not play? this would mean playing back to back years after the NBA season...hope he takes it easy. I doubt the comp will be that strong against teams in the group games where he can coast through.

lakerfreak 07-05-2009 09:41 AM

Re: Pau Gasol will play for Spain at Euro Championship

Stupid....

magic chiongson 07-05-2009 09:58 AM

he really needs some rest

lakerfreak 07-05-2009 11:05 AM

I hope there isn't any USA ball this year.

Kobe needs his rest. Hopefully one of these days if Bynum fully comes into his own, he can play and help our country win a gold.

ZeN 07-05-2009 05:45 PM

I would love for him to get rest.. but its not a new thing that Pau is aiding his National Team... because hes been doing it, since he entered the NBA.

LuppersGB 07-05-2009 06:10 PM

Great!!! Now Spain will totally obliterate team GB......
Same for Sasha who be playing for Slovenia and likewise will sh!t all over our crap team.

bladefd 07-05-2009 06:14 PM

Pau does not seem like a very injury-prone player. If he was injury-prone, I would be slightly worried, but he can play extended minutes and still be fine physically. I don't mind him playing for Spain but just keep your fingers crossed!

KenneBell 07-05-2009 07:01 PM

He'll be fine. He's had June, July, and August to rest up and he probably won't do much during training camp.

All Net 07-05-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuppersGB
Great!!! Now Spain will totally obliterate team GB......
Same for Sasha who be playing for Slovenia and likewise will sh!t all over our crap team.

Well at least GB will have Ben Gordon and maybe Loul Deng if he is healthly? better options than in the past.

djwhizard 07-06-2009 07:07 AM

I wish Pau would rest up this offseason....

gts 07-06-2009 11:22 AM

i think it's ok, it's not until september most players will be back into full time training by then.. he'll have had plenty of time to rest up

WiltTheStilt 07-06-2009 11:27 AM

I wish he would take a longer break to. Focus on the weight room, training and getting healthy. I think it does take a toll on a person to play year round. Anyone who has been a competitive athlete knows that some time off is healthy for the mind, body and competitive spirit.

KenneBell 07-06-2009 01:15 PM

It's not like he isn't taking a break. He got almost 3 months or rest before the tourney starts. I don't think some of you are reading the article.

triangleoffense 07-06-2009 01:52 PM

Yea it's not as bad as everyone thinks. The euro league only plays like what 4 or 6 games?

Fedor - Laker 07-06-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenneBell
It's not like he isn't taking a break. He got almost 3 months or rest before the tourney starts. I don't think some of you are reading the article.

Exactly, and Pau is a very durable player despite his physique.