Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Management HAS to consider... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139295)

bleedinpurpleTwo 07-10-2009 03:27 PM

Management HAS to consider...
 
Is Odom worth $16m per year? (i.e. $8m per contract).
$16m is NO JOKE.

As fans, we want to see Buss pony up the big money to keep Odom. But can we really fault them if they are unwilling to put up THAT kind of money?

Also, can mgmt back-fill Odom's role by some other means.
- Some other free agent? Do we still have the Vet's minimum?
- Trade Morrison & Sasha?

I would love to keep Odom, but I will not fault mgmt (nor Odom) if they are unable to reach an agreement.

IF mgmt pays Odom that kind of money, we should all send personal letters of thanks to Buss.

ps. Don't give me that BS: "well Buss is filthy rich so he can afford it".

lakerfreak 07-10-2009 04:08 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
ps. Don't give me that BS: "well Buss is filthy rich so he can afford it".


Well thats the honest truth.

Its a matter of if he wants to contend for the championship again or not.

He wants to keep as much money as he can especially in these tough times and Odom wants to get as much as he can, which isn't wrong also. they both have to reach some sort of compromise, and if not, Odom will have to settle for the MLE outside somewhere else which makes him a huge loser at that point, or he can retire with dignity, which also makes him a huge loser in millions of dollars.

LA_Showtime 07-10-2009 04:24 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Lamar Odom is the heart and soul of the Lakers. I think 16 million (8 per year + tax) is worth it. He's well liked in the locker room and he's Ron Artest's childhood friend. I'd hate to see him leave. i don't see a championship without odom here.

WiltTheStilt 07-10-2009 05:12 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Lamar Odom is in a bad situation. Lakers are capped out and the NBA market is down from a player perspective. I want to see him sign with the Lakers and I expect he will since Artest is there now. I think he should go for a shorter term contract (maybe two or three years and thrid year option) and then he can try to get a better payday. The market conditions should be better after 2010 anyway.

bleedinpurpleTwo 07-10-2009 05:47 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Well thats the honest truth.

Its a matter of if he wants to contend for the championship again or not.He wants to keep as much money as he can especially in these tough times and Odom wants to get as much as he can, which isn't wrong also. they both have to reach some sort of compromise, and if not, Odom will have to settle for the MLE outside somewhere else which makes him a huge loser at that point, or he can retire with dignity, which also makes him a huge loser in millions of dollars.


disagree.
can we win the championship WITHOUT Odom? possibly, yes.
can we backfill his role? possibly, yes.
can other players step up more meaningfully? absolutely (namely, Bynum)

just because you are rich does not mean you simply throw money around.

bladefd 07-10-2009 06:24 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
He wants to keep as much money as he can especially in these tough times and Odom wants to get as much as he can, which isn't wrong also. they both have to reach some sort of compromise, and if not, Odom will have to settle for the MLE outside somewhere else which makes him a huge loser at that point, or he can retire with dignity, which also makes him a huge loser in millions of dollars.


I guarantee you the Lakers offered Odom more than what the the MLE offers (who knows how much more but it has to be more than MLE). No other team can or will offer him more than what the Lakers put down on the table (Portland is not going after Odom - they already made that clear).

Odom's choices are either to sign with the Lakers or take the high-way that Ariza took for "pride." He still ended up with less money than what the Lakers put on the table by going after "respect" - Thanks David Lee S.O.B.. Odom wants less money and go to a team that may not even be a championship contender? Fine with me.

alexthegod 07-10-2009 06:30 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
A players worth is largely determined by what the market will pay and right now the NBA market it out of money for the most part.

After Portland spends their dough, there will be only 2 teams that can offer him more than 6 mil per season and thats MEM and OKC. His options are quite limited.

So it comes down to this really, will MEM and OKC offer LO a contract? If that answer is no, he has no leverage. That means realistically the Lakers dont have to offer much more than 6 mil, because no other team can go that high.

Secondly lets not forget that the Lakers are in luxery tax territory so LO is going to cost them double. Sign him for 10 mil per and he costs the Buss family 20 mil.

Unless Mem or OKC offer LO a contract, I dont think he has much choice but to take a Laker deal. Unless he wants to follow the path and play the "I was disrespected" card.

SourGrapes 07-10-2009 08:53 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
the bs is making excuses for the buss family if they don't pony up the money. the team and the community has afforded them fantastic opportunities, and the least they can do while still making profit is to take advantage of the limited opportunities we have to win

i have no patience for anyone who sympathizes with the plight of having to pay a player.

lakerfreak 07-10-2009 09:02 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
disagree.
can we win the championship WITHOUT Odom? possibly, yes.
can we backfill his role? possibly, yes.
can other players step up more meaningfully? absolutely (namely, Bynum)

just because you are rich does not mean you simply throw money around.


Now if God forbid Bynum gets injured or Pau, what do we do? We're completely screwed at that point. The reason we still got the best in the west was because Odom was there to fill in and play well in the starting spot.

Its not throwing money around by simply making your team better so you can get more money in the long run. The amount of money home teams make for playoff games is absolutely ridiculous!!! The owners don't go hungry man. I hear in the finals they get 5 million bucks a home game.

Throwing money around would be what the garbage knicks managed by Isiah Thomas did.

WiltTheStilt 07-10-2009 09:12 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
I see both sides of this issue. I want Lamar Odom to make good money and I realize that its a lot of money being asked from the Buss family. I think the Lakers really need Odom as he ads the depth that they need. Other teams in the west have upgraded, but if the Lakers lose Lamar Odom the go down a notch compared to the league in my book. Business is business though.

MFC 07-10-2009 11:12 PM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
If Jerry Buss doesn't want to pay Odom's contract, then sell the team to someone who does. No Odom - no dynasty. That's the bottom line. Throughout Buss' tenure in LA, he's been one of the best owners in sport, always putting winning first. The profits followed. Not signing Odom would be a sign that he has completely lost it. Since winning the championship, we've switched Ariza for Artest and traded away our first two picks for cash, both moves signalling that we were making room for Odom. If they weren't designed to make room for Odom, then we're being welcomed to the world of every supporter from other NBA teams. That is, a world where our owner is too cheap to pay for a championship team.

I'm giving credit to Buss that he's smart enough to get the job done. Smart enough to remember that the money he shells out for Odom will be reimbursed through the extra revenue generated by going deep into the playoffs and winning a championship. Without Odom, we're looking at a second round exit. The likes of Boston, Cleveland and San Anotonio will only be better next season. I hope Buss remembers that it was winning that brought he and his franchise the fame it now owns. If he's forgotten that, he can go and make money somewhere else.

gts 07-11-2009 01:04 AM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
i myself do not look at it as a 16 million dollar per year contract, i think that's a odd way to look at the cap...

i look at the team as a whole as contributing to the lakers being over the luxury tax... lamars possible 8 million dollar per year is not putting the lakers over the cap, they are already there, it's a combination of several larger contracts that give the lakers an 84 million dollar roster.... with that in mind i don't have a problem with paying lamar even 9 million per year, he's more than worth it and has more than proven his value to the team...

kobe is set to sign an extension are we questioning if he is worth 50 million per year?

ZeN 07-11-2009 01:09 AM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gts
i myself do not look at it as a 16 million dollar per year contract, i think that's a odd way to look at the cap...

i look at the team as a whole as contributing to the lakers being over the luxury tax... lamars possible 8 million dollar per year is not putting the lakers over the cap, they are already there, it's a combination of several larger contracts that give the lakers an 84 million dollar roster.... with that in mind i don't have a problem with paying lamar even 9 million per year, he's more than worth it and has more than proven his value to the team...

kobe is set to sign an extension are we questioning if he is worth 50 million per year?




Thats an interesting, and more realistic way to look at it..

bleedinpurpleTwo 07-11-2009 01:51 AM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gts
i myself do not look at it as a 16 million dollar per year contract, i think that's a odd way to look at the cap...

i look at the team as a whole as contributing to the lakers being over the luxury tax... lamars possible 8 million dollar per year is not putting the lakers over the cap, they are already there, it's a combination of several larger contracts that give the lakers an 84 million dollar roster.... with that in mind i don't have a problem with paying lamar even 9 million per year, he's more than worth it and has more than proven his value to the team...

kobe is set to sign an extension are we questioning if he is worth 50 million per year?


but Odom's contract WOULD cost $16m per year, which is a sh!tload for a guy coming off the bench. Lakers may or may not win the ship with Odom.

as for Kobe, they WILL NOT win it without him. Odom, Gasol and Artest are not going to win the championship.

however, Odom's roll may be backfilled by others.

bleedinpurpleTwo 07-11-2009 01:54 AM

Re: Management HAS to consider...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MFC
If Jerry Buss doesn't want to pay Odom's contract, then sell the team to someone who does. No Odom - no dynasty. That's the bottom line. Throughout Buss' tenure in LA, he's been one of the best owners in sport, always putting winning first. The profits followed. Not signing Odom would be a sign that he has completely lost it. Since winning the championship, we've switched Ariza for Artest and traded away our first two picks for cash, both moves signalling that we were making room for Odom. If they weren't designed to make room for Odom, then we're being welcomed to the world of every supporter from other NBA teams. That is, a world where our owner is too cheap to pay for a championship team.

I'm giving credit to Buss that he's smart enough to get the job done. Smart enough to remember that the money he shells out for Odom will be reimbursed through the extra revenue generated by going deep into the playoffs and winning a championship. Without Odom, we're looking at a second round exit. The likes of Boston, Cleveland and San Anotonio will only be better next season. I hope Buss remembers that it was winning that brought he and his franchise the fame it now owns. If he's forgotten that, he can go and make money somewhere else.


No Odom No Dynasty? seriously? Odom is a good player, but he aint THAT good. Even WITH Odom, there is certainly NO guarantee that they win it again.l


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy