Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Orlando Magic sign Matt Barnes (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140864)

Posterize246 07-20-2009 11:16 PM

Matt Barnes to sign with Magic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4342767

Quote:

The Orlando Magic's active offseason continued Monday when they closed in on a deal to sign free-agent forward Matt Barnes, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

One source told ESPN.com that Barnes and the Magic have agreed in principle on a two-year deal for an undisclosed amount that could be announced as early as Tuesday.

Since reaching the NBA Finals for just the second time in franchise history, Orlando has traded for former All-Star swingman Vince Carter, signed free-agent forward Brandon Bass, matched a five-year, $34 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat and pursued Barnes to join a group of newcomers that also includes Ryan Anderson from the Carter trade.

Barnes, 29, averaged 10.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists last season for Phoenix and is regarded as a versatile player off the bench who can guard forwards of all sizes and make the occasional 3-point shot.

qrich 07-20-2009 11:17 PM

Re: Matt Barnes to sign with Magic

Is a good fit.

OneMoreSucka 07-20-2009 11:18 PM

Great Courtney Lee replacement.

ClutchCity95 07-20-2009 11:19 PM

Just what the Magic needed more 3 point shooters. Oh well, good fit though, Pietrus won't have to be forced to play small forward more than shooting guard, but who knows.

PG: Nelson
SG: VC
SF: Barnes
PF: Rashard
C: Dwight

Maybe no lineup change after-all in terms of role that is.

Da Ballahollic 07-20-2009 11:19 PM

Fuck

KenneBell 07-20-2009 11:21 PM

I think Orlando can make it back to the Finals next year. Not just because of this but with the various moves they've made so far.

Al Thornton 07-20-2009 11:21 PM

Everyone going to Magic. This is gonna be their year.

beasted86 07-20-2009 11:21 PM

Wow... if they sign CJ Watson, it's pretty much all over for the Cavs, but even with the current depth:

PG: Nelson / Reddick / Johnson
SG: Carter / Pietrus
SF: Lewis / Barnes
PF: Bass / Andersen
C: Howard / Gortat

That is one loaded roster. I really don't see how the Cavs can match up with them.

ClutchCity95 07-20-2009 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beasted86
Wow... if they sign CJ Watson, it's pretty much all over for the Cavs, but even with the current depth:

PG: Nelson / Reddick / Johnson
SG: Carter / Pietrus
SF: Lewis / Barnes
PF: Bass / Andersen
C: Howard / Gortat

That is one loaded roster. I really don't see how the Cavs can match up with them.

Pretty sure if Barnes signs, CJ Watson can't. I don't think they have the Cap Space to get both, I need to double check.

Also, Just an FYI, not necessarily official yet either. Just close to signing. If I could recall correctly, Grant Hill was close to signing with the Knicks/Celtics and Ron Artest was close to signing with the Cavs. Neither happened. Just throwing it out there.

Posterize246 07-20-2009 11:26 PM

If they could get another cheap big they'd be set. I dont know how much money Leon Powe will command with his knees, maybe they could go for him. Mikki Moore, Joe Smith, Brian Skinner, or Theo Ratliff should be considered.

All Net 07-20-2009 11:27 PM

Quailty signing. Still think Orlando have a great shot to return to the finals. They can beat Boston no doubt about it.

TMT 07-20-2009 11:28 PM

The Magic are having arguably the best offseason of any team this year. Nice pickup.

OneMoreSucka 07-20-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Thornton
Everyone going to Magic. This is gonna be their year.

That's what they said last year.

PleezeBelieve 07-20-2009 11:32 PM

Not impressed.

OneMoreSucka 07-20-2009 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
Not impressed.

Magic will go 74-8 book it.

Impressed.