Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Okafor for Chandler? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141335)

Undisputed 07-27-2009 05:30 PM

Okafor for Chandler?

Quote:

The Hornets and Bobcats are in advanced discussions on a trade that would send center Tyson Chandler to Charlotte in exchange for fellow big man Emeka Okafor, according to NBA front-office sources.

It was not immediately known if the teams are ready to complete the swap -- or if the deal would expand to include other players or teams -- but sources close to the process said talks featuring Chandler and Okafor as the main components have been ongoing since late last week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359609

What do you guys think about this?

I think that'd be a really bad move for the 'Cats, but of course it depends on what else the Hornets would be giving up.

BeebCats 07-27-2009 05:53 PM

Re: Okafor for Chandler?

I don't like this at all, I'd much rather have okafor over chandler... The thing is, even if other players were involved, who else would we even want from NO?

Timmeh 07-27-2009 06:13 PM

I like it. At least we know Chandler plays hard. It's just a matter of whether or not he's completely healthy.

Who else would we want from NO aside from Chris Paul?

Morris Peterson, Rasual Butler, Antonio Daniels, James Posey, Peja Stojackovic, David West and Julian Wright.

Of course, with any of these, we'd have to give up another guy (I'm thinking Radman and Nazr are going to be in this deal (possibly Felts with a S&T, but I don't think NO wants another PG)).

1~Gibson~1 07-27-2009 08:15 PM

NOH is trying to shed salary; i think they have something up their sleeves

Timmeh 07-27-2009 08:22 PM

How are the dumping salary if they're taking on Okafor's contract?

TBone 07-27-2009 09:20 PM

They're salaries are almost the same. Chandler make about 1mil more than Okafor. It's weird. Their stats are almost identical (Okafor's are better). I don't know what to think of this. Both players have injury problems.:confusedshrug:

Timmeh 07-27-2009 09:31 PM

Chandler is bigger. And even though the contracts are the same now, Chandler's can expire at the end of the year.

One thing I thought about. If this trade is 1 for 1, does that mean we just dumped cap room to sign Felton long term.

I hope not.

onewickedlady 07-27-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBone
They're salaries are almost the same. Chandler make about 1mil more than Okafor. It's weird. Their stats are almost identical (Okafor's are better). I don't know what to think of this. Both players have injury problems.:confusedshrug:

So Chandler has to play harder than Mek just to rack up similar stats and we have to pay him more than Mek for that priviledge? Of what benefit is that? And we'd have another negotiation thing to go through at the end of next season? The only thing that I like about this possible trade is the possibility of getting rid of Nazr and Vlad for the likes of some of the other NOH players that were mentioned earlier in this thread. But overall one has to ask just what the heck is our FO thinking.

I'm :confusedshrug: too.

1~Gibson~1 07-27-2009 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
How are the dumping salary if they're taking on Okafor's contract?

that's my point. they said they were trying to dumb salary, but okafor has a huge contrct therefore i think something i about to happen in NO.

Timmeh 07-27-2009 10:03 PM

Shinn's gonna move em to Seattle!!!!!!

onewickedlady 07-27-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmeh
Shinn's gonna move em to Seattle!!!!!!

Are you serious???? I bet that Seattle-ites would be thrilled to have a team again so soon.

TarHeelBorn 07-27-2009 10:44 PM

Love it. Shorter contract and pretty much the exact same player. We just need to find a back-up PF.

Timmeh 07-27-2009 10:49 PM

Owl, I was kidding. However, I would'nt be surprised. It seems like the same situation. New Orleans wanted a team, Shinn moved out.

New Orleans hasn't been the same since Katrina, Seattle wants a team back, Shinn seems like the shallow-enough human being to do it.

Jayrome05 07-27-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1~Gibson~1
that's my point. they said they were trying to dumb salary, but okafor has a huge contrct therefore i think something i about to happen in NO.

i didnt get anything that you just said...

obonpaxis 07-28-2009 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TarHeelBorn
Love it. Shorter contract and pretty much the exact same player. We just need to find a back-up PF.

No. Okafor at least has a few post moves. Chandler has none.

Chandler is quicker, but offensively he's only good for put-backs and that's pretty useless if you run a Larry Brown half-court type of game.

The team (as presently constituted) has no potential. Yeah we could scramble for 8th seed this year, but anyone with a brain knows we'll be one and done with this roster.

We're a small-market franchise. Nothing wrong with that, but small market franchises have to draft well and watch their cap room (San Antonio is the model system). We've drafted poorly. No GM who knows the NBA would have taken Adam Morrison over Brandon Roy (or Sean May over Danny Granger for that matter). We've also overpaid mediocre talent. Nazr Mohammed???

Oh well. There's always tomorrow.