Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   James Worthy vs Dominique Wilkins (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146157)

RedZiggyZag 09-08-2009 10:11 PM

James Worthy vs Dominique Wilkins

Who ya got?

For me, I'll roll with Big Game James, almost entirely for the same reason why I rolled with Pierce over Dominique, Reliable clutch performer in the playoffs, never really had the chance to lead as a team player, but stifled a lot of his game, to adapt to the team concept for the Showtime Lakers, Funny thing is the Lakers actually had a chance to get Dominique over Worthy, but they stuck with Worthy and it looks like they made the good choice.

Now, I'm sure somebody will say....Oh well if Nique played with Magic, he would average 50 points a game!!!, Not true at all. One reason why the Lakers stuck with James was because he was an efficient player and could move without the ball, Dominique wasn't like that at all and it seemed that was the reason why the Lakers stuck with James from what I've heard and read. Worthy was an efficient player in the post too and always shot around 50%. James Worthy was pretty much the Jerry Rice of the Showtime Lakers.

1987_Lakers 09-08-2009 10:15 PM

Re: James Worthy vs Dominique Wilkins

Dominique Wilkins, just a more dominant player.

west 09-08-2009 10:17 PM

You are talking about greatness,not who is the better player.

White Chocolate 09-08-2009 10:19 PM

Dominique obviously had the edge in scoring and overall dominance. But Worthy was more consistent and reliable. He was extremely clutch despite not being a star, something Dominique never really was.

Locked_Up_Tonight 09-08-2009 10:21 PM

I'd rather have Nique. Put Worthy on the Hawks and I think he struggles mightily. Worthy was fortunate to be in the spot he was in...

RedZiggyZag 09-08-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate
Dominique obviously had the edge in scoring and overall dominance. But Worthy was more consistent and reliable. He was extremely clutch despite not being a star, something Dominique never really was.

Well, finally somebody understands what I am saying. :applause:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
Dominique Wilkins, just a more dominant player.

More dominant at everything but winning? :confusedshrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by west
You are talking about greatness,not who is the better player.

I really don't think you realize how great Worthy was in UNC, He sacrificed A LOT in his game to win championships with the LA Lakers. The dude could soar almost as well as Dominique, Keyword: Almost.

But I will put it down like this, as far as making money and marketing, I think Nique would be my guy to build around, If my team was somewhat stacked with decent talent and also had a decent shot at winning the title and I'd probably rather have Worthy.

L.Kizzle 09-08-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedZiggyZag
More dominant at everything but winning? :confusedshrug:

Yeah, give Nique Jabbar and Magic instead of Willis and Doc Rivers and let's see who's winning?

RedZiggyZag 09-08-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Yeah, give Nique Jabbar and Magic instead of Willis and Doc Rivers and let's see who's winning?

Quote:

Now, I'm sure somebody will say....Oh well if Nique played with Magic, he would average 50 points a game!!!, Not true at all. One reason why the Lakers stuck with James was because he was an efficient player and could move without the ball, Dominique wasn't like that at all and it seemed that was the reason why the Lakers stuck with James from what I've heard and read. Worthy was an efficient player in the post too and always shot around 50%. James Worthy was pretty much the Jerry Rice of the Showtime Lakers.

Not that my opinion matters, even though they are facts. :violin:

L.Kizzle 09-08-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Not that my opinion matters, even though they are facts. :violin:

I'd be efficient too if you had other guys like Magic, Jabbar, B Scott drawing attention away from me. Not saying Worthy isn't great (people have him low on ALl-Time list because of his teammates), but Nique was slightly better.

RedZiggyZag 09-08-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

I'd be efficient too if you had other guys like Magic, Jabbar, B Scott drawing attention away from me. Not saying Worthy isn't great (people have him low on ALl-Time list because of his teammates), but Nique was slightly better.

Not sure how much Scott helped Worthy, but after Kareem retired, Worthy posted the same numbers, 20 PPG in efficient scoring and good rebounding too. Sure, Magic helped him, but as I said, Worthy was like the Jerry Rice of the team, he was the finisher and Magic was like Steve Young or Joe Montana, The quarterback. Not sure, if you watched 80s basketball, even though I didn't either, because I wasn't alive for the most part of that decade, but you really think highly of Nique.

D-Rose 09-08-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Not sure how much Scott helped Worthy, but after Kareem retired, Worthy posted the same numbers, 20 PPG in efficient scoring and good rebounding too. Sure, Magic helped him, but as I said, Worthy was like the Jerry Rice of the team, he was the finisher and Magic was like Steve Young or Joe Montana, The quarterback. Not sure, if you watched 80s basketball, even though I didn't either, because I wasn't alive for the most part of that decade, but you really think highly of Nique.

So why are you sitting here trying to debate something you never saw and you weren't even born for?

L.Kizzle 09-08-2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

I don't but he is slightly greater. Just like you I didn't watch 80s ball as it happened, but Nique was just explosive with rock. Worthy was too, but not in that same way.

Lebron23 09-08-2009 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Rose
So why are you sitting here trying to debate something you never saw and you weren't even born for?

BINGO

RedZiggyZag 09-08-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

I don't but he is slightly greater. Just like you I didn't watch 80s ball as it happened, but Nique was just explosive with rock. Worthy was too, but not in that same way.

I don't really have a problem people picking Nique, but a lot of people get carried away with him because of his explosive dunks, as impressive as they were, it doesn't make him that great of a player. I didn't watch James Worthy, but I am somewhat a UNC fan at least when Jordan was over there, but I do think highly of an underrated player like him. He was somebody who adapated and stiflied his game to help his team win, Pierce was the same way in 08', Pippen was in all those 6 years, and so was a guy like Clyde Drexler in 95'. He sacrificed a lot to help the Showtime Lakers win championships. His abilities were pretty incredible, obviously he wasn't a guy who could handle the rock and dominate in the same way Jordan could or even Nique for that matter, but he could dominate without the ball and that's how he helped the Lakers win and that was something Nique lacked at.

rosonviyavong 09-08-2009 11:41 PM

Nique forshure