Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Does this make you nervous? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14835)

bagelred 10-23-2006 02:55 PM

OT: Does this make you nervous?

This is a poll I saw on Yahoo:

NBC has decided not to air a segment of their upcoming Madonna concert special where she mounts a crucifix and wears a crown of thorns. How do you feel about this?

- It's censorship! Let the artist speak!
- Good! I don't care for such symbolism.
- Everyone is far too bent out of shape about this.

The results?

It's censorship! Let the artist speak! 16% 1868 votes
Good! I don't care for such symbolism. 53% 6109 votes
Everyone is far too bent out of shape about this. 30% 3495 votes

It's scary when the First Amendment answer gets by far the lowest score. Yikes!!!

jbot 10-23-2006 02:59 PM

man, no wonder they wouldn't let her adopt that kid.

adamcz 10-23-2006 03:01 PM

Freedom of speech also protects a network's freedom to only air programming that they think enhances whatever image they're going after. They must be worried about offending Christian viewers. No big deal to me.

Mark Cuban 10-23-2006 03:01 PM

I hate hypocrit,church going,my crapdont stink,stuck up,censor everything from my 12 year,dumb,stupid,broads.

bagelred 10-23-2006 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Cuban
I hate hypocrit,church going,my crapdont stink,stuck up,censor everything from my 12 year,dumb,stupid,broads.

Was that English? Do you have terrets syndrome?

geeWiz15 10-23-2006 03:05 PM

What the ****

Does anybody honestly care what Madonna does anymore? She once said something along the lines of "Without my parents values, there would have been nothing to rebel against." Basically saying that she "rebelled" for the sake of rebelling at BEST, more likely to create an image for herself to make money. She's an attention-grabbing whore who wore out her welcome a long time ago, had about two catchy songs per decade, and makes terrible movies.

And she is not and NEVER WAS HOT.

I am in favor of whatever aspect of censorship keeps Madonna out of my television. Starts and ends there though.

bagelred 10-23-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamcz
Freedom of speech also protects a network's freedom to only air programming that they think enhances whatever image they're going after. They must be worried about offending Christian viewers. No big deal to me.

I'm not really commenting on NBC's view of it...althought I do have an opinion...

I'm commenting on what the pollers said

53% would rather censor something they are not fond of, then support the right of a network to show it... only 18% view it as censorship....

that doesn't scare anyone?

RidonKs 10-23-2006 03:09 PM

Anyone else hear about that priest calling in the bomb threat to a Madonna concert, because he was opposed to the cross being used in the set? They traced the call back to a church, and then he admitted it.

Jerm 10-23-2006 03:09 PM

Why do people feel it's cool to make fun of what others take seriously?

Mark Cuban 10-23-2006 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
Was that English? Do you have terrets syndrome?

Yes it was english, do you speak it mfer.

bagelred 10-23-2006 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm
Why do people feel it's cool to make fun of what others take seriously?

Just freedom of expression....

Jerm 10-23-2006 03:17 PM

Why do you feel freedom of expression is best expressed when you insult what other hold in high esteem?

If I decide to carry banners saying women are lesser beings than men, how is that right??

eauclaire447 10-23-2006 03:19 PM

so what is she claiming to be the savior of by doing this? jesus died for our sins........is she dying for the sake of our eardrums?

bagelred 10-23-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm
Why do you feel freedom of expression is best expressed when you insult what other hold in high esteem?

If I decide to carry banners saying women are lesser beings than men, how is that right??

No one is saying she's right or wrong....but she has right to express herself artisticially as she pleases....

that's as American as it gets...

Timmeh 10-23-2006 03:34 PM

It's not so much as to offend the Christian viewers, but probably more to offend the Muslims and other religious groups out there. That's one reason "The Book of Daniel" never went anywhere on TV; but that's also because it was offensive to Christians as well.