Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Washington Wizards Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Gilbert Arenas. Video and something else. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14989)

Kblaze8855 10-24-2006 11:21 PM

Gilbert Arenas. Video and something else.

http://files.filefront.com//;6073586;;/

Didnt exactly come out the way I wanted but I didnt feel a need to change it partly because.....

No matter how aware I am that hes good...I just dont care. I cant make myself really care about Gilbert Arenas. This is a guy who put up like 30/5/5 last year. Played well in the playoffs pre choke. If he stays healthy...at his age(24)...he could be all over the record books in time. Potential HOf guy.

Yet I still see him as something of a Stackhouse guy. I know hes better than Stackhouse was. Yet I still cant put him over even like....Ray Allen.

Am I wrong for that?

RidonKs 10-24-2006 11:26 PM

Yes, yes you are.

XxNeXuSxX 10-24-2006 11:28 PM

Stackhouse is pretty underrated on this board for what he once was, a great scorer and an allstar. I don't think it's really an insult to say right now Arenas is matched up with prime Stackhouse at all. Obviously, Arenas is going to be better than Stackhouse ever was, but right now I say that is a fair comparison.

geeWiz15 10-24-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

Am I wrong for that?
for not putting him over Ray Allen or Stackhouse yeah.

for not putting him on the level of other 30ppg scorers, no.

hes probably the most mistake prone and careless superstar to ever play. his career is still young and he has room to grow but he hasn't shown the ability to be consistent.

but he is 24. he works harder than anyone. he plays harder than anyone.

I don't want to jinx anything but I think this guy's career is going to be one of the most entertaining ever. I think for the next decade this team is going to rise and fall according to Gilbert. we're going to have spurts of brilliances and spurts of god-awful ugly play as Gilberts rhythm ebbs and flows. I think we're going to have heroic performances and epic chokes (sometimes in the same game, like game 6 last year). he may or may not be good enough to take us to the next level, but I will never be bored as a fan.

of course I could be completely wrong. Gilbert could mend the holes in his game and become consistent. sort of like what Pierce did with himself. he could become a Kidd clone. really, that's another thing. I have no idea what Gilbert is right now. he's a different player every game. game 1 he's AI, balls in his hand 24/7, he ends up with 33/11. game 2, he's a triple double/hustle guy, getting 12/9/9/some steals/awesome defense. game 3, he plays off-ball, gets 28 points on 12 shots and hits a game winner. game 4, he plays primarily in the high post. game 5, he goes 1-11 from 3. game 6, he gets to the line 16 times. game 7, he gets 21 points on 4-22 shooting. game 8, he simply explodes 40-something against the defending champs on perfect shooting. if he can settle down and become something definitive... that would be awesome, and we have no idea what he will settle into.

I don't get how you can't care about this guy. hes one of the most interesting personalities in the league IMO, his psychology is just as unconventional as his play. and you never know what you're getting. he isn't the most flashy player and doesn't get a lot of media love but... those of us who know whats up... know whats up.

Kblaze8855 10-24-2006 11:54 PM

I dont put him on a level with Stackhouse. I may not have been clear on that.

I put him on a Ray Allen level. Both over Stackhouse.Gilbert has not really achieved anything Ray Allen has not. He scores more but Ray has never been the type to go out and put up major shots for extended periods of time.

Ray is about as clutch, a better shooter, and not far worse as a playmaker when hes playing that role. Same basic level as players. Ray at his best impressed me more than Gilbert at his though. Not by a lot. But ray has destroyed people.

Da KO King 10-25-2006 12:00 AM

First let me say dammit you beat me to making an Arenas mix.

Second, you are not wrong for not caring. For all the numbers he puts up he's still not the most important player on his team. When Antawn Jamison is not playing well the Wizards are barely a .500 team.

geeWiz15 10-25-2006 12:02 AM

defense/toughness/rebounding/hustle is why I put Gil over Allen, if the fact that he scores more and does everything basically better and in greater quantity isn't enough. plus as a slasher he puts more pressure on the defense.

and really I don't even think Allens FG% is better than Gil's...

on the other hand Allen has veteran and leadership advantages. and he is more consistent.

RidonKs 10-25-2006 12:02 AM

And when Gilbert isn't playing well, they are below a .500 team. Not to say that Jamison isn't important, but there's no way he's more important than Gil.

geeWiz15 10-25-2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

Second, you are not wrong for not caring. For all the numbers he puts up he's still not the most important player on his team. When Antawn Jamison is not playing well the Wizards are barely a .500 team.
flawed logic. Gilbert hasn't disappeared for months at a time like Jamison has therefore we haven't SEEN the team for months at a time without Gilbert. you're punishing Gil for always showing up?

Kblaze8855 10-25-2006 12:10 AM

Arenas is neither a good enough defender or rebounder for me to consider either reason enough to rank him over anyone. Every aspect of his game that makes him what he is happens with the ball in his hands. Well other than playing the passing lanes I suppose.

Replacing Arenas with Ray isnt making a worse team. And putting Arenas on the Sonics wouldnt make them good last year. Or get them by the Spurs the year before after Ray got them 50+ wins and past the Kings. They are somewhat interchangable as far as impact on a team.

Id rather have Ray because I think he could play better with other very good players who need the ball than Arenas could. Arenas id take to lead a team with little talent. If I had talent id rather have Ray. For a year at least. Age being put aside.

And KO you could probably make a better one. This is the second I madeo n Arenas but the first was only about 2 minutes long and in 03 or 04. Not many of him out there.

DatZNasty 10-25-2006 12:16 AM

Didn't some speed trainer say Arenas is the naturally fastest person he ever saw and that with little training could be the fastest person in the world?

Kblaze8855 10-25-2006 12:24 AM

Yea. Some olympic track coach. he said Arenas was a notch below olympic world class speed running with poor technique. And that if he applied himself to the sport he could be in the olympics as a sprinter with little work.

Juvenile 10-25-2006 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Yea. Some olympic track coach. he said Arenas was a notch below olympic world class speed running with poor technique. And that if he applied himself to the sport he could be in the olympics as a sprinter with little work.

that's impressive. But I think he's satisfied being a third tier NBA star :banana:

eliteballer 10-25-2006 04:20 AM

What makes Arenas better than Stack? Stack's best statistical year was 30/4/5. Arenas this year was 29/4/6. He also was the leading scorer on a 50+win division leading team. Ya boy Gil hasn't done that. He had a big year...but so did Purvis Short.

eliteballer 10-25-2006 04:38 AM

The thing that bugs me about Arenas is this. He's a PG that can score like nobodys business. So was KJ. Both are lightning quick and pretty athletic(See KJ poster on Hakeem). However KJ knew what to do with the ball. He was getting 20+ points and double-digit assists. If this fool played like KJ and took a few less shots on those plays and instead passed the ball, he would be a better player and his team would probably get more wins.