Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   NFL Midseason Awards (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152876)

Tarik One 11-09-2009 09:17 PM

NFL Midseason Awards

MVP - Peyton Manning

Offensive Player - Drew Brees (I'm not gonna waste time arguing the difference between MVP & best offensive player)

Defensive Player - Jared Allen

Most Improved Player - Cedric Benson

Most Surprising Team - Denver Broncos

Rookie - Mark Sanchez

Disappointing Player - Jake Delhomme

Disappointing Team - Titans

MK2V1GP 11-09-2009 09:25 PM

Re: NFL Midseason Awards

MVP - Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (Co-MVPs like we so a few years ago with Peyton and Air McNair)

Offensive player of the year - Drew Brees

Defensive player of the year - Jared Allen

Comeback player of the year - Cedric Benson

Rookie of the Year - Percy Harvin (no way Sanchez wins it, unless the Jets get hot in the 2nd half)

Coach of the Year - Josh McDaniels

Tarik One 11-09-2009 09:26 PM

Quote:

Rookie of the Year - Percy Harvin (no way Sanchez wins it, unless the Jets get hot in the 2nd half)

Forgot all about him

simcjt 11-09-2009 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
MVP - Peyton Manning and Drew Brees (Co-MVPs like we so a few years ago with Peyton and Air McNair)

Offensive player of the year - Drew Brees

Defensive player of the year - Jared Allen

Comeback player of the year - Cedric Benson

Coach of the Year - Josh McDaniels

That basically sums it up

Carbine 11-09-2009 09:35 PM

How is Brees the offensive player of the year? That award should be based on stats alone, and his projected line of:

4672 yards
34 touchdowns
14 picks

Is not clearly better than Peytons line of:

5090 yards
32 touchdowns
10 picks

I'd say Peyton's line has more of an argument to win this award than Brees' does.

MK2V1GP 11-09-2009 10:04 PM

Lol ok. You don't have to get so riled up. But 300 more yards, 2 less TDs and a few less INTs is THAT big of a deal? The Saints have had the best offense all season, and I guarantee that Brees will have more TDs and yards by the season's end.

InspiredLebowski 11-09-2009 10:12 PM

If the Jets finish .500 or better ROY'll be Sanchez. Remember Vince Young (50% completion, 12 TDs, 13 INTs, 66 rating) winning it over MJD (2200 total yards and 16 TDs) and Colston (70/1038/8)?

Carbine 11-09-2009 10:20 PM

Four less turnovers is a lot when most games are decided by one big play here or there. It could mean winning or losing.

And it's 400 yards passing, not 300.

My point is that this award is based solely on stats, and I have a much easier time giving the award to Peytons numbers than Brees' numbers, though cases could be made for both - nobody is wrong either way - which in the end makes them co-award winners in my book.

And what's Marionos yardage record? Wouldn't Peytons 5090 yard projected pace break it? I would find it hard to believe that whoever votes for these things wouldn't give it to the guy who broke one of the more famous passing records.

phoenix18 11-09-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
If the Jets finish .500 or better ROY'll be Sanchez. Remember Vince Young (50% completion, 12 TDs, 13 INTs, 66 rating) winning it over MJD (2200 total yards and 16 TDs) and Colston (70/1038/8)?

That was highway and corner store robbery. If anything, Colston and MJD should have shared it.

MK2V1GP 11-10-2009 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

That was outrageous. Completely uncalled for. Kinda makes the award look like a joke, and more of a popularity contest than anything.

Colston should've won it considering where he was taken and how he burst onto the scene.

But Percy Harvin has been dominating this year. I didn't expect him to be nearly as good on offense as a WR as he has been.

kshutts1 11-10-2009 11:04 PM

You said you didn't want to argue the difference between Offensive player vs MVP.... but what IS the difference? Every time I see an MVP picked, then a DIFFERENT Offensive player picked my mind screams "wtf is wrong with this picture?!"

Seriously... how is one different than the other? The only way I could see it being different is if the Offensive guy is on a losing team (rarely is someone from a losing team considered the most valuable), but in your (and most other) case, the Offensive player is from a very good team, as is the MVP.

So I must ask... what IS the difference?

GOBB 11-10-2009 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshutts1
You said you didn't want to argue the difference between Offensive player vs MVP.... but what IS the difference? Every time I see an MVP picked, then a DIFFERENT Offensive player picked my mind screams "wtf is wrong with this picture?!"

Seriously... how is one different than the other? The only way I could see it being different is if the Offensive guy is on a losing team (rarely is someone from a losing team considered the most valuable), but in your (and most other) case, the Offensive player is from a very good team, as is the MVP.

So I must ask... what IS the difference?

MVP takes into consideration the impact you had on your team when it comes to wins/losses. Offensive player of the year tends to just highlight the statistical season you had where wins/losses is irrelevant. Kinda like ROY in the NBA. ROY in the NBA is determined by production and not team success. Whereas thats reserved for MVP of the league. Which is why you'll rarely find MVP winners on losing teams if not teams a few games above .500.

Last year shuld further illustrate that when Manning won the MVP and Brees won OPOY. Its not uncommon to win both awards like Tom Brady...and again if you look at the numbers Tom Brady put up without taking into team success? you would say he had one of the best seasons ever for a QB no?

So there is the difference.

Posterize246 11-10-2009 11:14 PM

Harvin isn't a sure thing for ROY either. Mike Wallace, Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin are right there close with him and may pass him. Beanie's starting to get more and more carries in Arizona. It's going to be a close call.

MK2V1GP 11-10-2009 11:15 PM

Maybe its kind of like the NBA MVP. The offensive player of the year may go to the player with the best stats and on a top offensive team, while the MVP goes to the most VALUABLE player. Peyton Manning is easily one of the most valuable players to his team. If you take him off the Colts, they struggle to win 3 games.

That's just attempting to help clarify it, but there's really no set meaning.

Like last season, didn't Brees win offensive player of the year? But he was on a bad team. Maybe thats a difference. Peyton won MVP and his team was a playoff team with 12 wins. Brees won offensive poy on the top offensive team, but on a 8 win team.

IDK lol

MK2V1GP 11-10-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Posterize246
Harvin isn't a sure thing for ROY either. Mike Wallace, Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin are right there close with him and may pass him. Beanie's starting to get more and more carries in Arizona. It's going to be a close call.

He had one good game against my awful Bucs' secondary. What else has he done? I'm asking b/c I don't remember hearing much from him any other time I've watched him play.

Harvin has been consistently good since Week 1.