Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Bistro Rufus (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153783)

rufuspaul 11-17-2009 12:32 PM

Bistro Rufus

Although I enjoy almost all types of cuisine I have to admit that my Euro-centric genes make me rather partial to French cooking. In this thread I'll share some simple bistro faves of mine that are easy to master, taste great and, with a little wine, usually induce females to moisten in the nether regions and start to shed clothing.

The thing to remember about bistro cooking is that it is basically peasant food cooked in a way that transforms otherwise tough cuts of meat into something tender and delicious. Comfort food that stands the test of time and never fails to impress.

First up: Boef Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy)

This is basically a beef stew. I use Anthony Bourdain's recipe from his Les Halles restaurant in New York. It's a great dish for fall and winter and tastes even better the next day.

2lbs beef roast (shoulder or chuck) cut into 2 in. pieces
1 onion thinly sliced
2 tbsp flour
1 cup red wine
6 carrots cut in 1 inch pieces
1 bouquet garni *see note below
Fresh chopped parsley

In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot heat some olive oil on med. high. Brown the beef in batches on all sides and remove to a plate. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions and cook, stirring about 5 more minutes. Add the wine, bring to a boil and cook until it has almost entirely evaporated. Now add the beef, carrots and bouquet garni. Add water so that the beef and carrots are covered by 1/3. That is the volume in the pot should be 2/3 solids, 1/3 liquid. I will add a few spoonfuls of demi glace here. Demi glace is reduced stock that you can buy pre-made at most grocery stores. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep the beef from scorching on the bottom.

Remove the bouquet garni, sprinkle with parsley and serve. I usually serve this in a bowl over noodles with a side salad and some French bread.

*a bouquet garni is basically an herb seasoning packet used to flavor soups, stews and sauces. I take some cheese cloth (found in the baking section of the grocery store), cut about a 6in x 6in square and place in the center: 2 sprigs parsley, 2 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf, 1 smashed garlic clove, 1 clove, and a couple of pepper corns. Tie the corners of the cloth to make a packet.

boozehound 11-17-2009 02:15 PM

Re: Bistro Rufus

looks great. I just bought a shoulder roast the other day, so mayhaps I will try this out.

what is your favorite french dish (bistro or not) to make?

ukplayer4 11-17-2009 02:16 PM

i do a similar bourguignon but with baby onions(gotta have these) and mushrooms and alot more wine which i let reduce.

looking forward to some more recipes in this thread, hopefully on a simiar theme.

rufus do you have a slow cooker? i bought one a while back and its great.

rufuspaul 11-17-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boozehound
looks great. I just bought a shoulder roast the other day, so mayhaps I will try this out.

what is your favorite french dish (bistro or not) to make?

Coq au vin. I'll post that one next.

rufuspaul 11-17-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukplayer4
i do a similar bourguignon but with baby onions(gotta have these) and mushrooms and alot more wine which i let reduce.

looking forward to some more recipes in this thread, hopefully on a simiar theme.

rufus do you have a slow cooker? i bought one a while back and its great.

Sounds awesome. My mom makes it in the slow cooker and adds mushrooms too. Like any stew you can add or delete as you please.

BankShot 11-17-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Coq au vin. I'll post that one next.

Awesome, I love coq au vin :cheers:

BankShot 11-17-2009 05:24 PM

Which red wine have you found works best for this recipe

ZeN 11-17-2009 05:25 PM

This Thread >>>>>>> Twilight Thread

craigthomasb 11-17-2009 05:37 PM

use shallots instead of onions, and the red wine has to be a claret

Gundress 11-17-2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeN
This Thread >>>>>>> Twilight Thread

:applause:

rufuspaul 11-17-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BankShot
Which red wine have you found works best for this recipe

Well a red from Burgundy would be appropriate but I've used everything from Shiraz to a California Zinfandel (red, not the white sh*t).

The Big Skinny 11-17-2009 07:55 PM

Yo Rufus ever heard of London Broil?

that sh!t is too good but i haven't found a legit recipe for it...

all i know is that being cooked in a crockpot for hours makes the meat too tender and moist

ProfessorMurder 11-17-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BankShot
Awesome, I love coq :cheers:

Sorry BankShot, but... FIXED.

boozehound 11-17-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
Yo Rufus ever heard of London Broil?

that sh!t is too good but i haven't found a legit recipe for it...

all i know is that being cooked in a crockpot for hours makes the meat too tender and moist

my mum makes a mean one. Ill type it up for you later

BankShot 11-17-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Sorry BankShot, but... FIXED.

Fine with me, as 'coq' is french for rooster.... so yeah, I do love to eat rooster.

:rolleyes: