Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Phoenix Suns Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   goran dragic (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154270)

bassy500 11-22-2009 05:16 AM

goran dragic

What is everyones thoughts on this guy?
We gave up what could have been a decent pick for this guy who is suppose to be tipped to take over at point after nash retires which i think is the most ridiculous comment ever.
I just feel like they made a big deal about him and i really havnt seen anything yet. especially compared to watching the phoenix v new orleans game the other day where new orleans 2 back up pg's in collison and thorton had fantastic games and looked very promising.
When i watch dragic i just hope for not many turnovers and basically nothing else.

I reckon we should be chasing jarryd bayless, hes fallen out of rotation with portland and hes from phoenix and played for arizona state. Im sure hed love to play in phoenix and hes i saw highlights of his college seasons and hes deffinantly got talent if given the time.
Hed be far better back up pg than dragic

DirtBag 11-22-2009 08:29 AM

Re: goran dragic

It took Nash a while to get recognized as an elite PG.. this guy has shown flashes but usually follows it up with lackluster performances. He's still young and adjusting to the NBA, I think he needs a few more years (which he has, as long as Nash is here) to really hone his niche in the league. I think the person that should be looked at with such scrutinity is Barbosa, he was supposed to be our backup pg to Nash many years ago. then they realized he'd never be a PG so they moved him to more of SG role for the team. He's way to streaky, I hope he of all people gets moved next now that Diaw is gone.

nash4eva!gosuns 11-23-2009 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtBag
It took Nash a while to get recognized as an elite PG.. this guy has shown flashes but usually follows it up with lackluster performances. He's still young and adjusting to the NBA, I think he needs a few more years (which he has, as long as Nash is here) to really hone his niche in the league. I think the person that should be looked at with such scrutinity is Barbosa, he was supposed to be our backup pg to Nash many years ago. then they realized he'd never be a PG so they moved him to more of SG role for the team. He's way to streaky, I hope he of all people gets moved next now that Diaw is gone.

I agree with most of this.
Personally, I think Goran's magnificent. Right now, he's growing as a player. He has time. He shows Nash-like spurts and is daring on his passing. He's got a good shot for a lefty, he can shoot the three...he's got a good skillset. He's just gotta work on being strong and consistent. The guy's got a lot of hustle and a genuine desire to play the game well...and he will. Just give it time.

Barbs is not a backup for Nash. That is set. He doesnt have the court vision, he refuses to pass the ball sometimes on the fast break, he doesnt run the pick and roll very well, he's not an excellent passer and his game has sort of declined from a couple years ago. I dont know if he's grown shy or just hasn't found his niche with this new team...but I dont love him anymore. :ohwell:

DirtBag 11-23-2009 02:55 AM

when they first made the draft day trade with SAS they planned on grooming hiim as our future PG.. but for all the reasons you and I listed he has been made to a role playing sg... which is probably the best for him.. I just think its time (I have thought for a few seasons now) he gets moved..

nash4eva!gosuns 11-23-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtBag
when they first made the draft day trade with SAS they planned on grooming hiim as our future PG.. but for all the reasons you and I listed he has been made to a role playing sg... which is probably the best for him.. I just think its time (I have thought for a few seasons now) he gets moved..

Yeah. He's a good player. Not superstar but a decent player. And I'm sure lots of teams could use him. :confusedshrug:

DirtBag 11-30-2009 01:49 AM

here's a piece the az republic did on Dragic and some other stuff too

Quote:

TORONTO - Goran Dragic might help disappoint a nation Sunday.

In Canada's biggest basketball event, favorite son Steve Nash might not be seen as much as in the past at Air Canada Centre because a Slovenian backup point guard is holding his own.

One of the better parts of the Suns' 13-3 season has been things that need not be discussed. Just as much as rebounding and defense, the backup point guard situation was fodder for conversation with frustration for five years.
Although coach Alvin Gentry calls Nash's time on the bench the scariest minutes of his life, the Suns' show has not been a horror without him because of Dragic's progress.

Dragic still has the lowest plus-minus ratio (team vs. opponent scoring with him on the court) per minute of the nine everyday players, but he falls on the positive side overall. The Suns outscored Detroit a week ago by 19 in the 22 minutes Dragic played. During the Suns' current three-game blowout streak, Dragic has been able to play 20.7 minutes per game and is averaging 9.7 points (on 50 percent shooting), 3.0 assists and 4.7 rebounds.

"I just now have to get consistency," Dragic said. "Some games, I play really well. Some games, I play a little bit bad. I'm really enjoying this game and feel more comfortable.

"I'm alone with my girlfriend, so this team is my family. It's hard when you're not playing well and not playing a lot. This year, I feel a part of something."

Nash's 32.3 minutes per game is his lowest average in a decade. Leandro Barbosa helps fill the role behind Nash, taking some ballhandling as the Suns run different sets to play to the backups' strengths.

"The thing that's always good for us is if we can sit Steve over there for six minutes of the fourth quarter as opposed to being in for the last nine minutes," Gentry said.

It was about this time last season that Dragic vanished from the rotation until February. His confidence is visible in his fastbreak drives, set 3-point shots, his pump-fake leaners and the time he went between Jamaal Tinsley's legs for retribution.

"I'm more confident and shooting better," Dragic said. "Every game is better. On the second unit, everyone can score. We are dangerous."

Rookie blazing

Rookie Earl Clark is never sure what Amin Elhassan, the Suns' assistant director of basketball operations, is doing when he calls him at night. He just knows Elhassan shows up to rebound every time Clark is willing to do extra shooting beyond his post-practice work with assistant coach Igor Kokoskov.

Even with that, it might be an anomaly that Clark went 6 for 6 with mostly jumpers Friday after struggling with his shot.

"Anomaly might be a small understatement," Gentry said. "Let's not crown him Ray Allen yet."

Clark said he is "trying to learn from the great players around me."

He drew their attention Friday when he leaped sideways to try to dunk on 7-foot Ryan Hollins, who fouled him. Clark had a special slam in a recent practice when he moved the ball from his left hand to his right hand in mid-air to dunk on Amar'e Stoudemire.

"I got funny feet," Clark said. "I don't know how to jump right. So I always jump on my right side, and it looks kind of awkward.

Free throws

In the past three wins, the Suns are shooting 59.7 percent overall and 50.8 percent on 3-pointers.

The Suns outscored Minnesota by 33 Friday in Grant Hill's 26 minutes.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...snotebook.html

DirtBag 07-22-2010 07:43 PM

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....8997532&ref=mf

Video of Goran doing some workouts that he posted on his Facebook page

DirtBag 08-02-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Yes Goran, you won the MVP.
(Photo courtesy of David Zhu)

After making a name for himself domestically during the 2010 NBA Playoffs, Suns point guard Goran Dragic has continued that trend this summer, albeit internationally.
Although Dragic was a vital member of the Suns’ lineup all last season, his official coming-out-party occurred after he decimated the Spurs with 26 points in Game 3 of the Western Conference Semifinals. But don’t think that performance would cause the 6-3 guard to rest on his laurels.

In the Stankovic Cup, an international basketball tournament for men’s national teams that is held annually by FIBA, Dragic was honored with the MVP as he led his native Slovenia to a gold medal on Sunday. The tournament, which took place this past week in China, saw Slovenia defeat Australia in the final.

In Slovenia’s tournament opener, the Suns’ backup point guard came off the bench to score 15 in a 107-74 rout over Iran. After falling to Australia in their next matchup, Dragic’s triple-double of 15 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists lifted Slovenia to a victory over China.

In the final, Dragic posted 13 points, six rebounds and three assists as Slovenia captured a 71-60 win over the Australians. It was the second time that Slovenia has claimed gold at the Stankovic Cup.

Dragic and Co. hope that the title will be an indicator of good things to come as they continue to prepare for the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. That competition begins on August 28.

http://blogs.suns.com/2010/08/4682/

Congrats Goran, now just win Finals MVP for us this year!! :cheers: