Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   09-10 Hawks: Eastern Conference Contender (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156808)

doinitbig06 12-13-2009 10:55 PM

09-10 Hawks: Eastern Conference Contender

Although hardly a great feat in beating the lowly Nets, the Hawks record currently stands at 17-6, tied with Magic for #2 seed in the EC

but beyond the win percentage which is the highest it has been with this group ever, is the effeciency, great ball movement and offense that is currently rated #1 in the NBA at 113.8/100 possesions, with the NBA so busy watching the Magic Lakers and Celtics, the Atlanta Hawks have had more 15+ blowout victories than them all (8 of 26)

really, i think mike woodson doesnt get enough credit for creating this winning atmosphere in Atlanta from his year 1 with rookie josh smith when they went 13-69, got joe and marvin, 26-56, 30-52, got al, then the rest has been 101-86 back-to-back playoff appearances first being the only team to take the eventual champion celtics to game 7, then beating wade and the heat to win a playoff series for the 1st time in 10 seasons

Josh Smith is back to being defensively dominating, leading the league in bpg and being the overall franchise player X-factor the Hawks have needed him to be, career-high fg%,apg, spg, and career-low minutes from the starters not even needing to play in the 4th in 8 games so far in the Hawks season

Joe Johnson is still good, he is 28 entering his prime, its safe to say he can and would average 20ppg5apg for 5+ more seasons so hopefully the Hawks resign him, the only question will be answered in these playoffs, if he can lead the Hawks to an upset to the NBA Finals...

Al Horford is the 2nd most skilled, versatile CENTER in the eastern conference, sure of course he could play PF and, given the ball, average 20/10/4/2 but at the center position with Josh at the 4, they are an upstoppable duo, he can hit the 18-20 ft jumpshot with great consistency, plays tough, runs the floor and passes like a point forward lamar odom type, Al Horford is drastically improving year after year its only a matter of time before his championship experience pays off..

Marvin Williams is starting to shake the Chris Paul mistake label, into the glue guy final piece to a championship team, though Marvin is only averaging 10ppg6rpg he is one of the best make-the-right-play small forwards there is in the NBA, he hits the three (37.7%), passes well, is quick and hits his free throws (81.4%), Chris Paul may be one of the greatest point guards of all time but it is HE who would want to join the Hawks to get a "better opportunity to win a championship"

Mike Bibby is the great smart leader point guard, makes the right plays, great court vision, pretty much does everything right, completes the starting 5

and the Hawks bench?

it has been stated, is a fact, the 09-10 Hawks have one of the best 2nd units in the NBA, everybody knows Jamal Crawford, bound to give u 20 or 30 every night, 6th man of the year candidate, Zaza Pachulia one of the best backup bigs in the league, efficient, good decision, shot maker, Jeff Teague is great, he has had back-to-back games now of 10+pts7+ asts, Mo Evans is still one of the Hawks best signings, in the last 5 games he was 23-37 fgs 11-173pts, Joe Smith is a great veteran player, he will come back strong and make this team even bETTER STILL

Bottom Line, i don think the NBA has seen a team and a lineup this cohesive and balanced since the 04 pistons, two true superstars in Josh Smith and Joe Johnson and 7 players off the bench that can help EXTEND the lead when the starters are resting

OFFICIAL PREDICTION: 57-25 (2nd Division, 3rd East)

doinitbig06 12-13-2009 11:27 PM

Re: 09-10 Hawks: Eastern Conference Contender

think so?

The_Yearning 12-13-2009 11:32 PM

Neither Joe or Josh are superstars.

They ain't even legit all-stars...

Hawksauce 12-13-2009 11:41 PM

Call me crazy but with all that said I still don't think the Hawks are contenders. They just beating the teams they are supposed to beat right now and im happy as hell. Thats an area they're getting consistent in. I need to see more challenging matchups for the hawks before I call them contenders this season.

I don't want to see games like the one against the magic where they take care of the first half and lose it all in the second.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Yearning
Neither Joe or Josh are superstars.

They ain't even legit all-stars...

I know the op's got a lot of homerism goin' on but, GTFO with that noise.

liljohnnywall 12-14-2009 01:56 AM

no

Lord Leoshes 12-14-2009 02:12 AM

To make the championship game yeah, but to win against the LAL? NO.

3rd, or 4th at best in the east in playoff spot, but like i said above has potential to beat any team in the east in a 7 game series.

KenneBell 12-14-2009 02:17 AM

If they had a little more skilled height, they'd be amazing. Horford's a bit undersized at the C but he's good. I've been going to about a game a season since '03 and they've steadily gotten better and better.

doinitbig06 12-14-2009 08:15 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=291113002

97-86 Hawks beat Celtics in Boston

that was one test passed

the next true test for the Hawks is against the LeBrons and Shaq back-to-back home and away dec. 30 and 31st