Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   If your team doesn't win the Super Bowl, is the season a failure? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159106)

mlh1981 01-04-2010 11:36 PM

If your team doesn't win the Super Bowl, is the season a failure?

Do you take a hard line stance on this, or are you just happy with progress and a winning year?

I think that if you are bad, you want to be good, and once you get good, you want to be better. With each win, expectations rise, as new ones are created.

Like, people will tell me "Oh, you should be happy that the Bengals turned it around." Sorta, yeah, but the name of the game is winning the Super Bowl. Technically, there is one champion, and everyone else is a failure. Success from year to year isn't guaranteed. Oftentimes, surprise teams one year don't take that next step. They just fall back.

It gets old seeing other teams' fanbases get that parade at the end of the year. I hope that my championship quest as a fan doesn't consume the rest of my youth and I have to wait until I'm as old as good 'ol Bob in my avy.

iggy> 01-04-2010 11:38 PM

Re: If your team doesn't win the Super Bowl, is the season a failure?

yes

~primetime~ 01-04-2010 11:41 PM

for me yes...

When the Mavs finally made it to the Finals and lost I viewed it as a failure...(although now I am 99% sure it was rigged)

If Dallas makes it all the way to the Bowl and loses, I will view it as a failure also...if we make it that f*ckin far, then we better take home a damn ring...no one cares about SB losers...ask Bills fans, or ask Eagle fans...or ask Raider fans...it means NOTHING

MK2V1GP 01-04-2010 11:58 PM

I think it also depends on one's expectations for a certain team. For example, my Bucs. I was not expecting them to come close to the Super Bowl, so no, I'm not disappointed they won't win the Super Bowl, but I am disappointed they were so awful. I was expecting 5-7 wins, not only 3.

But if my team is a contender for the playoffs, then yes, anything short of a Super Bowl win is a failure. Ask the Cardinals last year....no one expected them to make it to the big game, but were they satisfied just making it to the Super Bowl? No.

tian820 01-05-2010 12:05 AM

Man with everything that's happened to Cincinnati this year, a Super Bowl win would bring some closure, even though the tragic events that have already happened were obviously much bigger than a simple championship. I would be beyond happy though for the franchise if they were to pull it off, but to say this season was a failure otherwise? I like to look at things from a positive point of view and I've had fun cheering on this team all year

InspiredLebowski 01-05-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
I think it also depends on one's expectations for a certain team. For example, my Bucs. I was not expecting them to come close to the Super Bowl, so no, I'm not disappointed they won't win the Super Bowl, but I am disappointed they were so awful. I was expecting 5-7 wins, not only 3.

But if my team is a contender for the playoffs, then yes, anything short of a Super Bowl win is a failure. Ask the Cardinals last year....no one expected them to make it to the big game, but were they satisfied just making it to the Super Bowl? No.

This. You've got to keep your fanhood grounded in reality. For the last decade or so all but one year as a Colts fan has been a failure. But it isn't like I'd call this season a failure for the Pacers because they aren't winning the Finals. Though I would for other reasons.

~primetime~ 01-05-2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tian820
Man with everything that's happened to Cincinnati this year, a Super Bowl win would bring some closure, even though the tragic events that have already happened were obviously much bigger than a simple championship. I would be beyond happy though for the franchise if they were to pull it off, but to say this season was a failure otherwise? I like to look at things from a positive point of view and I've had fun cheering on this team all year

Quote:

Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
This. You've got to keep your fanhood grounded in reality. For the last decade or so all but one year as a Colts fan has been a failure. But it isn't like I'd call this season a failure for the Pacers because they aren't winning the Finals. Though I would for other reasons.

"get out..."

Doomsday Dallas 01-05-2010 01:06 AM

We just need to beat the eagles...

That's all I know for now.

Skywalker 01-05-2010 01:23 AM

this season yes

thekavorka 01-05-2010 02:24 AM

Salary Cap era in the NFL is different than the NBA. Every year, any team can win the super bowl (except the lions). You can't say that about the NBA.

And just because you win a couple of games in the playoffs doesn't mean you'll even make it back to the playoffs the next year.

So if you don't win the Super Bowl, the year is a failure. These days, you rarely see "building upon playoff success". Next year, you may not even make it back.

Snoop_Cat 01-05-2010 02:36 AM

The Giants .... oh wait ......

Carbine 01-05-2010 12:06 PM

It depends. The Cardinals last year could never be argued as a
failure because they absolutely did great things and played awesome in the superbowl as well. That season was a success for the Cardinals even if it didn't result in a superbowl.

But if you're an elite team year after year, you have expectations. If you don't win the superbow it will probably be viewed as a failure.

But I don't really view football like that. The most rings by one team is the Steelers with six, right? That's the most in HISTORY. So winning a ring is absolutely prestige and a historical event in and of itself. It really is a "once in a lifetime" thing for many players and teams. To not win a superbowl in any given year, for that reason alone, isn't a ''failure." At least to me.

Over a period of say, 10 years... or the ERA of someone (Like the Peyton Manning Era, the Romo Era, Brady Era, Brees Era, Rivers Era, etc, etc) is much more accurate to distinguish failure and success. If those players and teams didn't, or fail to win a ring during their time, that's a failure.

tsforthrees 01-05-2010 04:30 PM

i guess it depends on the current state of the team. i set realistic goals when i root for the 49ers now. it used to be super bowl or bust, but now i'm just happy that they're competing and looking to turn the corner (happy but not satisfied). i would be pleased next season with a playoff appearance and a playoff win.