Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ot: why do black people have an unusual accent (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16043)

final.wrath 11-01-2006 11:23 PM

ot: why do black people have an unusual accent

a mod deleted the original thread just a minute ago, and I just felt I needed to get my post across to the thread starter. i'm not the one who asked this question, but maybe I can provide some insight.

as long as we can keep this respectful of every human being i dont see there being a reason we cant have this discussion. could you please move this to the OT forum though, my fault. being open about this kind of **** is one way to break down barriers.

i'll tell you what I know about ebonics. it shares most of it roots with the southern accent of american english as blacks were brought over as slaves to that region. it has alot of similarites to southern speech. originally there was some creole spoken by slaves (a mix of african and english language) but that got phased out.

blacks miagrated to the north during the underground railroad and after the civil war bringing this accent with them. because they weren't really mixed with whites they retained their dialect. even today minorities make up a lot of the poor class and live pretty seperate from whites. not for racial but economic reasons. this dialect isnt just used by blacks anymore, but a lot of different groups of poor people. slowly our speech is getting intergrated more than ever.

its a natural thing. the only thing it has to do with style is when people introduce new words unique to the urban culture. but a lot of this slang is pretty understandable by white youth now due to rap music and pop culture.
so it isnt a question of "using your own voice". thats just the way they learned to speak. a lot of black people I know can speak in a more "white" way because thats whats taught in school, whats used on TV, on the job, ect.

UMDWizKid 11-01-2006 11:26 PM

Delete!

SomeBunghole 11-01-2006 11:26 PM

And I thought it was the lack of ejukashun.

IBLEEDGREEN43 11-01-2006 11:26 PM

ah

delonte west still has the weirdest accent on earth

JSub 11-01-2006 11:27 PM

The thread was deleted for a reason. Dont bring this discussion up again f@g

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork 11-01-2006 11:27 PM

re

i know you only have the best intentions in explaining ebonics, but unless you are an accredited source of the African American community, people will think you are a racist. i mean in life everything is about "perceptions and not intentions." everything must be done politically correct or there will be ramifications.

sorry but I have to report you.

final.wrath 11-01-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMDWizKid
Delete!

why would we delete this, i can understand moving it but theres nothing wrong with this discussion.

TMacsOneGoodEye 11-01-2006 11:27 PM

Come on. It's a good night of ball. Lets talk ball.

They banned Hall&Oates just now for making a racist thread on a great night like this. Don't make them ban you too.

Just let it go, ya know?

final.wrath 11-01-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
i know you only have the best intentions in explaining ebonics, but unless you are an accredited source of the African American community, people will think you are a racist. i mean in life everything is about "perceptions and not intentions." everything must be done politically correct or there will be ramifications.

sorry but I have to report you.

then you have a very simple minded view of racism. keeping this kind of **** under the rug doesnt help anybody. obviously they wouldnt ban me for trying to explain this to hall and oates, who i didnt realize was banned. did he even say anythign racist or what?

IBLEEDGREEN43 11-01-2006 11:29 PM

hm

i think this discussion shouldnt be banned.. if somebody has a question, why cant they ask it..

seriously

i dont know much about the reason why people have accents either..

final.wrath 11-01-2006 11:30 PM

its an interesting subject im interested in linguistics personally. i do think the thread should be moved to Off the Court Lounge tho, my bad.

DatZNasty 11-01-2006 11:36 PM

Why do posts randomly get deleted on this board? I had a very insightful reply right after TMacs that contained no cursing, name calling, racism, or any of the like and mysteriously gone

final.wrath 11-01-2006 11:38 PM

i think the mod didn't like where the thread was going. that hall and oates guy was pretty ignorant.

but i had to bring it bakc i didnt type all those paragraphs for nothing.

rezznor 11-01-2006 11:44 PM

the original thread was clearly aimed at getting flamed, this one isnt.
i attend one of the most diverse law schools in the country. about 40% of the student body is black, and so are most of the professors. i have the utmost respect for my professors, they are very intelligent and educated. i find it funny however when they sometimes slip into a "black" dialect when we are sometimes discussing an issue. one of my professors is also a judge, and she cracks us up whenever she slips into what she calls her "sista girl" mode, where she starts waving her finger and bouncing her head.

JSub 11-01-2006 11:51 PM

H&O didnt get banned...?