Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The next big player out of Chicago (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162732)

Go Getter 02-04-2010 01:10 AM

The next big player out of Chicago
 
Introducing Wayne Blackshear Class of 2011, SG/SF--Morgan Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jkjGTiDLPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-cK_...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFvWm...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRkre...eature=related

He's committed to Louisville

GOBB 02-04-2010 05:45 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Why Lville and not Illinois?

TheGame414 02-04-2010 06:38 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
(Long answer since I haven't talked about recruiting in ahwile)

With D.J. Richardson, Brandon Paul, Jereme Richmond and Crandall Head all going to be here he was going to have to fight for minutes. He's a stud so he would've played no matter who was here, but it's a case of playing 18-20 minutes a game as a freshman, or playing 30 minutes a game at arguably a better program? I can't say I blame him.

He said as much early in his recruitment that he was worried about all the wings Illinois had in the 2009 and 2010 classes. The Illinois staff definitely recruited him, but he wasn't a super-high priority because I think they knew he wasn't super-high on us.

Plus, we were hard after Bradley Beal from St. Louis, who's a slightly higher-rated shooting guard prospect than Blackshear and a lot of people thought we had a good shot at him (he committed to Florida). Not to mention we were, and still very much are, hard after shooting guard Chasson Randle from Rock Island, a Top 50 recruit who appears to be an Illini lean.

Also...you're familiar with Chicago politics? Well, the same kind of principles, or lack thereof, apply to recruiting the Chicago Public League. 9 times out of 10 someone's getting their palms greased for big-time recruits from the CPL. Illinois isn't going to do that. They didn't do it for Sherron Collins, they didn't do it for Derrick Rose, so they're damn sure not going to do it for Wayne Blackshear. I'm not saying this happened with Louisville, no idea. I just know how recruiting the CPL works.

I'm anxious to see Blackshear play again sometime. The last time I saw him was last season, once on TV and once in person at Assembly Hall. I thought he looked the part of a big-time wing player but was more athlete than player, but apparently he finally put it all together last summer and is putting up monster numbers. Some say he's the best prospect in the state now regardless of class; I'm skeptical that he's better than Jereme Richmond; I think he's stronger and more athletic, but Richmond's a 6'8", highly athletic dude who can play the point as easily as he can play the 4. I'll believe Blackshear's better when I see it.

Go Getter 02-04-2010 08:49 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame414
(Long answer since I haven't talked about recruiting in ahwile)

With D.J. Richardson, Brandon Paul, Jereme Richmond and Crandall Head all going to be here he was going to have to fight for minutes. He's a stud so he would've played no matter who was here, but it's a case of playing 18-20 minutes a game as a freshman, or playing 30 minutes a game at arguably a better program? I can't say I blame him.

He said as much early in his recruitment that he was worried about all the wings Illinois had in the 2009 and 2010 classes. The Illinois staff definitely recruited him, but he wasn't a super-high priority because I think they knew he wasn't super-high on us.

Plus, we were hard after Bradley Beal from St. Louis, who's a slightly higher-rated shooting guard prospect than Blackshear and a lot of people thought we had a good shot at him (he committed to Florida). Not to mention we were, and still very much are, hard after shooting guard Chasson Randle from Rock Island, a Top 50 recruit who appears to be an Illini lean.

Also...you're familiar with Chicago politics? Well, the same kind of principles, or lack thereof, apply to recruiting the Chicago Public League. 9 times out of 10 someone's getting their palms greased for big-time recruits from the CPL. Illinois isn't going to do that. They didn't do it for Sherron Collins, they didn't do it for Derrick Rose, so they're damn sure not going to do it for Wayne Blackshear. I'm not saying this happened with Louisville, no idea. I just know how recruiting the CPL works.

I'm anxious to see Blackshear play again sometime. The last time I saw him was last season, once on TV and once in person at Assembly Hall. I thought he looked the part of a big-time wing player but was more athlete than player, but apparently he finally put it all together last summer and is putting up monster numbers. Some say he's the best prospect in the state now regardless of class; I'm skeptical that he's better than Jereme Richmond; I think he's stronger and more athletic, but Richmond's a 6'8", highly athletic dude who can play the point as easily as he can play the 4. I'll believe Blackshear's better when I see it.


My cousin coaches at Julian and he's says that Blackshear is the consensus #1 in the city. Remember he's only a Jr.

YAH trick YAH 02-05-2010 04:08 AM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Getter
My cousin coaches at Julian and he's says that Blackshear is the consensus #1 in the city. Remember he's only a Jr.


He for sure is #1 in the city of Chicago, but not the entire state of Illinois.

Go Getter 02-05-2010 02:53 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YAH trick YAH
He for sure is #1 in the city of Chicago, but not the entire state of Illinois.



Who you got?

Go Getter 02-05-2010 02:59 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
You know the red south is one of the toughest regions in the country right?

TheGame414 02-07-2010 06:57 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Getter
Who you got?

Jereme Richmond.

Go Getter 02-08-2010 06:37 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame414
Jereme Richmond.

Jereme's game is more reliant on athleticism than Blackshear.....the only knock on Jereme is he doesn't have a clear cut position.

TheGame414 02-08-2010 08:00 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
I would categorically disagree with both of those statements. Richmond's status as an elite prospect predated his elite athleticism. I've watched him for four years and he wasn't superathletic when he was younger as he is now. It's only been the last two years of his high school career that he's developed that kind of explosiveness.

And the "knock" about him not having a position is exactly why I'm unsold on Blackshear being a better prospect: it isn't a "knock" to be versatile. It isn't like he's a 6'5" power forward or a 5'11" scoring guard. He's "positionless" in the good sense: he can play any of them. I could see him developing into an oversized, Evan Turner-like point guard/point forward, a Julian Wright-type faceup power forward, or anything in-between. Ultimately, I'll tell you exactly what his position will be: he's a prototypical small forward, with the size, shot and athleticism requisite for the position with the court sense, handle and passing ability to be a point forward.

I'm not saying Blackshear isn't better or won't be better; like you said, he's only a junior. But Richmond's combination of NBA-quality size for his position (small forward), athleticism and versatility means that to me, he remains the state's prospect until I see it from Blackshear with my own eyes. 6'5" scoring wings are more common than 6'8" guys who can legitimately play four positions.

TheTruth11 02-15-2010 12:08 AM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGame414
I would categorically disagree with both of those statements. Richmond's status as an elite prospect predated his elite athleticism. I've watched him for four years and he wasn't superathletic when he was younger as he is now. It's only been the last two years of his high school career that he's developed that kind of explosiveness.

And the "knock" about him not having a position is exactly why I'm unsold on Blackshear being a better prospect: it isn't a "knock" to be versatile. It isn't like he's a 6'5" power forward or a 5'11" scoring guard. He's "positionless" in the good sense: he can play any of them. I could see him developing into an oversized, Evan Turner-like point guard/point forward, a Julian Wright-type faceup power forward, or anything in-between. Ultimately, I'll tell you exactly what his position will be: he's a prototypical small forward, with the size, shot and athleticism requisite for the position with the court sense, handle and passing ability to be a point forward.

I'm not saying Blackshear isn't better or won't be better; like you said, he's only a junior. But Richmond's combination of NBA-quality size for his position (small forward), athleticism and versatility means that to me, he remains the state's prospect until I see it from Blackshear with my own eyes. 6'5" scoring wings are more common than 6'8" guys who can legitimately play four positions.



Blackshear is much better than Richmond and it is not even close. Richmond is soft.... and he takes far too many plays off. Blackshear is tenacious and is more athletic and skilled. The only question about Blackshear was whether he would develop his handles. HE HAS ANSWERED THAT QUESTION. Black now has great handles. The sky is the limit for Black.

TheGame414 02-15-2010 09:53 PM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes. I just haven't seen it myself yet since he's put it all together as a legitimately elite prospect as a junior. Like I said, I'm not doubting Blackshear but there are a lot more high-scoring 6'5" wings than 6'7", 6'8" prospects with the skillset of Richmond. Blackshear can play two positions. Richmond can play four. So the next time I see Blackshear, I'm going to need to see a scoring ability and a physical agressiveness that is so beyond Richmond's that it negates being less versatile and three inches shorter. And that could very well be the case. I don't know.

The whole "Richmond takes too many plays off" thing is overblown and I've never quite agreed with it. I think it's a perception that's been shaped by some people who don't like his attitude and has kind of taken hold. I think there's some truth to his bad attitude/anger issues but I've never seen any evidence of him being soft and circumstancial evidence at best of him taking plays off.

I realize I've cut him a lot of slack over his high school career and it's primarily not because he's an Illinois recruit but because I truly believe this: Ron Ashlaw is a terrible coach. The last time I saw Richmond play in person was in December at the Assembly Hall. He picked up one early foul and Ashlaw was panicking, imploring him to not pick up a second. Richmond wanted so badly to challenge so many shots but wouldn't do it. I atually thought it was a sign of maturity that he wasn't fighting his coach like he would've two years ago. When he's in college and his coach isn't an idiot, that'll be a good thing if he keeps listening.

Go Getter 02-16-2010 04:49 AM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
You've said a lot without really saying a lot man.

And playing a lot of positions in HS isn't saying a lot for a blue chip athlete. Blackshear at 6'5" can play 3 positions c'mon now.

Blackshear is a 2. He has a clear cut position.

Jereme could play 3 or 4 depending on how his frame pans out.

I don't see Reme as having as much upside as Blackshear either.

KG215 02-16-2010 05:17 AM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
I don't know squat about Blackshear or Richmond, but wouldn't a 6'8" forward who has the ability to play 3 or 4 positions, elite athleticism, and I'm guessing a at least a decent shot (?) have more upside than a 6'5" SG that's possibly capable playing SF as well?

Like I said, I don't know anything about either recruit, but just going off measurables, players like Richardson (if what is being said about him is true: 6'8", good handdle, good athlete, capable of playing 3 or 4 positions) are much more rare than 6'5" guards who can score the basketball.

Go Getter 02-16-2010 05:40 AM

Re: The next big player out of Chicago
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
I don't know squat about Blackshear or Richmond, but wouldn't a 6'8" forward who has the ability to play 3 or 4 positions, elite athleticism, and I'm guessing a at least a decent shot (?) have more upside than a 6'5" SG that's possibly capable playing SF as well?

Like I said, I don't know anything about either recruit, but just going off measurables, players like Richardson (if what is being said about him is true: 6'8", good handdle, good athlete, capable of playing 3 or 4 positions) are much more rare than 6'5" guards who can score the basketball.



What blue chip HS player can't play 3 or 4 positions?

And Blackshear could play the 2-4 if he really needed to.

Lol at Reme's handle being all that also.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy