Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NBA Should Abolish 7-Game Playoff Series (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=163991)

wagexslave 02-15-2010 08:41 AM

NBA Should Abolish 7-Game Playoff Series

And make the match-ups 1 game, win or go home elimination style. I think it could do a world of good for the NBA. Why do you think the Super Bowl and March Madness are so much more relatively hyped/popular than the NBA Finals or World Series? It's because of the one game series.

Here's some of the benefits one game elimination brackets have over 7 game series:
  • More hype is built up for 1 game championships compared to 7(meaning more media publicity and events)
  • The NBA championship game day could become an "unofficial American holiday" the same way the Super Bowl has, where people all over the country throw parties that one day and watch the game(this could be an easy way to gain more fans and popularity)
  • Forces the teams to push their limit every game or face elimination automatically, makes for intense games(instead of boring games where a team already has a 3-0 lead in the series and stops putting full effort for a game or two)
  • Elimination every game makes the playoffs go faster instead of being long and drawn out. (A lot of people lose interest in the NBA playoffs because they're too long, often boring and predictable)
  • Doesn't wear out veteran players as much, so older players can play at the top of their game every game

Honestly I find 1 game championships so much more intense and exciting than 7 games. Anyone agree with me?

AJ2k8 02-15-2010 08:45 AM

Re: NBA Should Abolish 7-Game Playoff Series

They would sell less tickets, fans would have less chance to see their team perform in the playoffs. Basketball is not as demanding as other sports which enables them to play longer series' so why not take advantage of it?:confusedshrug:

JohnnySic 02-15-2010 08:49 AM

Short answer: no.

bagelred 02-15-2010 08:51 AM

Money. Playoffs make money.

doinitbig06 02-15-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagexslave
And make the match-ups 1 game, win or go home elimination style. I think it could do a world of good for the NBA. Why do you think the Super Bowl and March Madness are so much more relatively hyped/popular than the NBA Finals or World Series? It's because of the one game series.

Here's some of the benefits one game elimination brackets have over 7 game series:
  • More hype is built up for 1 game championships compared to 7(meaning more media publicity and events)
  • The NBA championship game day could become an "unofficial American holiday" the same way the Super Bowl has, where people all over the country throw parties that one day and watch the game(this could be an easy way to gain more fans and popularity)
  • Forces the teams to push their limit every game or face elimination automatically, makes for intense games(instead of boring games where a team already has a 3-0 lead in the series and stops putting full effort for a game or two)
  • Elimination every game makes the playoffs go faster instead of being long and drawn out. (A lot of people lose interest in the NBA playoffs because they're too long, often boring and predictable)
  • Doesn't wear out veteran players as much, so older players can play at the top of their game every game

Honestly I find 1 game championships so much more intense and exciting than 7 games. Anyone agree with me?

murder on your mother, your father, entire family tree, die slowly, painfully, and do not make children :cry: :violin:

spursrule 02-15-2010 09:04 AM

Wow, that is stupid. NBA is already losing money in the downturn, let's find ways to make less money. I guess you won't be running any major businesses anytime soon.

SoCalMike 02-15-2010 09:05 AM

a definite no.... too much negative impact on nba revenue...

now, what they should do is change the finals format to match the rest of the series... the current finals format favors the second place team.

:pimp:

RaceBannana 02-15-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Why do you think the Super Bowl and March Madness are so much more relatively hyped/popular than the NBA Finals or World Series? It's because of the one game series.

Thats a big simplification, dude.

Toizumi 02-15-2010 09:15 AM

No they shouldn't.

I hate it when in soccer the lesser team advances to the next round on a lucky goal. I like the fact that they play series in the NBA. Luck is still a factor, but that alone will not get you through.

In 2001 in game 1 of the finals, both teams played hard and wanted that win and the Sixers came out on top because AI showed up in the clutch. The Sixers were the lesser team though and didnt deserve to be the champion that year, so I think it's a good thing the Lakers won that series.
Series show if teams are evenly matched or not, just 1 game isnt enough to tell.

bagelred 02-15-2010 09:22 AM

looking at your avatar......
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toizumi

both teams played hard
:lol

RoseCity07 02-15-2010 09:22 AM

Horrible idea. The reason football doesn't have playoff series is because players are so sore from just one game they take a week to recover.

In the NBA player really only need a night off and can play at full strength after that.

Plus then a team can win a few lucky games and be in the finals. That's just silly to me. I do think the NBA should make it the top 16 teams. Tired of crappy teams in the east getting in when we have 2 teams out west that don't make it because it's too competitive over here.

Shep 02-15-2010 10:04 AM

nope. first round should go back to a 5 game series tho

MP25 02-15-2010 10:12 AM

7 games series are amazing. I like watching the same teams play each other 5-7 times in a row. There are developments, feuds, match ups, and so forth that progress through out and make for a way better sporting event and theater.

Toizumi 02-15-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bagelred
looking at your avatar......:lol

:oldlol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shep
nope. first round should go back to a 5 game series tho

Eventhough some first round matchups are kinda boring, the 4th and 5th seed are usually pretty evenly matched and we had a great Celtics/Bulls series last year (in part because the C's were plagued by injuries). I didn't like the fact they changed it from 5 to 7, but now I don't really mind anymore.

doinitbig06 02-15-2010 10:22 AM

Quote:

Anyone agree with me?

safe to say thats a no, bruh

u should probably stop posting for a while... take a look at your pathetic existance on this lil' Earth