Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   College and High School Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Illini might be back....Introducing Jereme Richmond (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164232)

Go Getter 02-17-2010 05:05 AM

The Illini might be back....Introducing Jereme Richmond

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9O6wgXvvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVU6cWw2Gdc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta6yr2yLEYQ&feature=fvw

I liken his game to Evan Turner's.

The Illini might make some noise in the Big 10 next year.

TheTruth11 02-17-2010 09:23 AM

Re: The Illini might be back....Introducing Jereme Richmond

Introducting the "The Tin Man".

No heart!

wang4three 02-17-2010 09:29 AM

Not sure if you're really "introducing" him considering how many Illini fans post on this board.

KG215 02-17-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTruth11
Introducting the "The Tin Man".

No heart!

Not to mention he lacks the same kind of competitive drive that Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, and Kobe Bryant had/have.

Go Getter 02-17-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wang4three
Not sure if you're really "introducing" him considering how many Illini fans post on this board.

Jesus man it's just a title don't be petty....I've noticed the Illini fans/threads be easy.

Go Getter 02-17-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
Not to mention he lacks the same kind of competitive drive that Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, and Kobe Bryant had/have.

How much have you seen him play?

wang4three 02-17-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Getter
Jesus man it's just a title don't be petty....I've noticed the Illini fans/threads be easy.

I'm just saying man! I can't wait for Jereme to be in Champaign. It's been 4 years in the making.

Quote:

Didn't you read the other thread? Jereme can't be good cause he doesn't have any street hunger. /sarcasm.

Go Getter 02-17-2010 01:18 PM

I went from playing in Chicago Public league to Indiana and I gotta say without sarcasm that that's bullshit. Those Indiana boys ain't street at all and they can play some ball.

Reme looks like he does some things that many young players need to realize.....energy conservation.

Looks to me like Reme doesn't waste time and energy doing silly shit on the court....maybe some can describe this as lack of desire....the same 'ppl' said Derrick Rose can't be a star because he doesn't beat his chest and run his mouth.

KG215 02-17-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Getter

It was sarcasm. I'm not from Illinois or the Chicago area, but I do know that to question the heart of a highly touted recruit out of the Chicago Public League is not a smart thing to do.

Go Getter 02-17-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG215
It was sarcasm. I'm not from Illinois or the Chicago area, but I do know that to question the heart of a highly touted recruit out of the Chicago Public League is not a smart thing to do.

That's another small knock I have on him he plays for Waukegan which isn't in the Red South [the toughest sectional].....Blackshear [for example:lol ] plays against way tougher comp.

emsteez forreal 02-17-2010 05:02 PM

i'm from waukegan and i've seen him play. i'm not gonna make any comments on him, though, or i'll be verbally ass-raped by illinifan.

Go Getter 02-17-2010 05:19 PM

I smell *****:oldlol:

you scared?:confusedshrug:

emsteez forreal 02-17-2010 05:22 PM

that was sarcasm. basically whatevers been said in this thread is what i think of him.

Go Getter 02-17-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsteez forreal
that was sarcasm. basically whatevers been said in this thread is what i think of him.

Lol I wouldn't think you'd be scared through your CPU, lol just hazing ya.

But for reals I'd like the opinion of someone who has actually seen him play.

TheGame414 02-18-2010 06:36 PM

I've seen him play quite a few times over the years. The knocks against him aren't without merit. There are times when you wonder if he's playing as hard as he can. And he's definitely had issues with his anger and attitude through his high school career. But those two things don't exactly put him in any sort of limited company among elite high school prospects.

But the skillset is almost incomparable to that of just about any forward from the state of Illinois in the last decade. Evan Turner wasn't this far along as a high schooler. Julian Wright wasn't nearly as offensively skilled. Darius Miles couldn't shoot or handle the ball as well (though he was on another level with his athleticism, length and basketball instincts, which is why a skinny kid who couldn't shoot was the No. 3 pick in the draft). Andre Igoudalia was maybe the only one on par with Richmond as a high schooler.

I think he invited a lot of scrutiny by committing so early. He was going to be in the spotlight anyway, being a 5-star prospect in the Chicago area. But an unprecedented commitment to Illinois before he played a high school game? No wonder he's come under such criticism from some people. But I think he's to be commended for continuing to improve and remaining an elite prospect until the end of his high school career. Go back two and three years ago and look at the list of the nation's top players in 2010 from when they were freshmen and sophomores. Jereme Richmond is one of the few guys who were considered a top prospect since the beginning of this class's high school career that's remained one. His versatility for a 6'8" athlete is uncommon and anyone who thinks he doesn't belong in the McDonald's game is kidding themselves.