Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Finally! (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=171824)

Venom 04-25-2010 06:40 PM

Finally!

Thanks to Swaggin and everyone else who recommended drills and exercises for me to do.

Now all I have to do is dunk:lol

5foot6 04-25-2010 08:29 PM

Re: Finally!

nice. how tall are you?

Venom 04-25-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5foot6
nice. how tall are you?

5'9"

Swaggin916 04-26-2010 12:44 AM

Nice... were you able to get up there with 2? Or was it one and then you put your other hand up?

Venom 04-26-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Nice... were you able to get up there with 2? Or was it one and then you put your other hand up?

Not yet. I pulled myself up with one.

NotYetGreat 04-26-2010 08:59 AM

You're 5'9?! Damn, man! What have you been doing?!! XD

Swaggin916 04-26-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Venom
Not yet. I pulled myself up with one.

Gotcha. Well that's a good first step. At 5'9, Get up there with 2 and that's impressive. Throw down a dunk that is VERY impressive... Throw down a dunk with 2 hands... That's is insane.

Venom 04-26-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
You're 5'9?! Damn, man! What have you been doing?!! XD

Leg press, running up stairs, and a lot of other things that I found in vertical jump help threads.

just chill 04-26-2010 07:20 PM

damn thats insane lol nice jays

Swaggin916 04-26-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Leg press, running up stairs, and a lot of other things that I found in vertical jump help threads.

Neither of those are going to help your vert much... unless you sprint up stairs maybe for short burst. The fact that you are gaining strength has proven to help some... but don't expect to get a whole lot higher doing those exercises. I certainly did not tell you to do either of those lol.

Venom 04-26-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Neither of those are going to help your vert much... unless you sprint up stairs maybe for short burst. The fact that you are gaining strength has proven to help some... but don't expect to get a whole lot higher doing those exercises. I certainly did not tell you to do either of those lol.

A friend of mine recommended the leg press. I sprint up the stairs, jumping 3 stairs at a time. You recommended strengthening my back and abs, which helped a lot. I don't want to brag, but ever since you mentioned lower back and abs, I've been working my ass off. I actually have nice 8 pack going.

Swaggin916 04-27-2010 12:52 AM

Well that's good... I'm glad it's helping and yea having an 8 pack is pretty rewarding in and of itself ha. Glad to hear you are working your butt off too... that's what you have to do if you want to get better. Just saying tho... you'd be better off dropping leg press from your routine and doing squats, step ups, cleans, dealifts, hamstring curls, calve raises... Those should be the staples of your routine (calf raises just to make sure they are strong enough to better prevent knee problems). Leg press doesn't activate the hip flexors and therefore won't effect your vert all that much.

A strong core definitely halps so keep doing that, but if you really want to get up there... the things I just mentioned are the most important and cannot be avoided.

Venom 04-27-2010 07:17 AM

Quote:

Well that's good... I'm glad it's helping and yea having an 8 pack is pretty rewarding in and of itself ha. Glad to hear you are working your butt off too... that's what you have to do if you want to get better. Just saying tho... you'd be better off dropping leg press from your routine and doing squats, step ups, cleans, dealifts, hamstring curls, calve raises... Those should be the staples of your routine (calf raises just to make sure they are strong enough to better prevent knee problems). Leg press doesn't activate the hip flexors and therefore won't effect your vert all that much.

A strong core definitely halps so keep doing that, but if you really want to get up there... the things I just mentioned are the most important and cannot be avoided.

I forgot to mention, I've been doing weighted calve raises as well. I haven't realized that the hamstring curls would help, thanks.

NotYetGreat 04-27-2010 09:53 AM

Hmmm, I see. Ever tried using resistance bands? I heard they work great too. I actually want to start doing some kind of program with them since I have some. Maybe some one-legged squats, but I don't know what else to do using them. I tried calf raises with them once, but I looked stupid letting the band just slap itself out between my feet and the surface. :oldlol:

Swaggin916 04-27-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

I forgot to mention, I've been doing weighted calve raises as well. I haven't realized that the hamstring curls would help, thanks.

Weighted calve raises also don't help with your vert much... neither do hamstring curls. The only reason you do them is keep a balance of strength in your legs so you don't get injured. A lack of Calve strength could put strain on the knees, and a lack of hamstring strength put's strain on everything else. You have to be strong everywhere. Squats and Deadlifts are the most important thing you can do to increase vert... they hit every muscle in your lower body, but isolate none... so just in case you want to hit the calves and hamstrings. Your quads are worked more than Hammies and calves in the squat lift though so it's really not necessary that they be isolated.