Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Foot Tendonitis, help... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172563)

MannyO 05-01-2010 07:20 PM

Foot Tendonitis, help...

A few months ago I was diagnosed with foot tendinitis in my left foot. I didn't think of it as a big deal even though it hurt and I could not fully flex it. Now I think it is really bothering me and affecting my game and I might need surgery or something because it may be worse. Yesterday I was working on my footwork and realized that I can't balance on my left foot, or push off it, or plant it effectively on a drive or cut. I know that if I can get this cured I will be a better player defiantly. But does anyone have this problem and know how to fix it.

Swaggin916 05-02-2010 02:18 PM

Re: Foot Tendonitis, help...

You just have to rest tendinitis until it's fully healed. Trust me, I have it in my knee and it won't ever heal if you don't.

MannyO 05-02-2010 09:15 PM

I don't think thats possible because AAU season is starting off, and this offseason I really want to make a breakthrough. Also I remember a time I rested and didn't do anything for about 2 weeks and it still did not go away. My podiatrist said something about a bone i can't remember.

SourPatchKids 05-04-2010 10:52 AM

http://www.itendonitis.com/foot-tendonitis.html They have tips on how to cure and prevent Tendonitis.

ABPrints 05-05-2010 09:34 AM

This is not medical treatment advise, but another resource for you to read and understand and possibly look for alternative diagnosis from a medical professional:

http://extremehumanperformance.com/b...vs-tendonitis/

MannyO 05-05-2010 10:00 PM

thanks for the help guys. I have scheduled an appointment with the podiatrist.

bballjumper 05-11-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MannyO
thanks for the help guys. I have scheduled an appointment with the podiatrist.

definitely a good idea! it will help you a bunch

Darkess 05-12-2010 01:23 PM

I'm not trying to be scary, but I always lean on the side of being well informed.

I have a parent with foot tendonitis which will never go away. It was noticed one day while ice skating and has yet to be cured in over 15 years. Through medical treatment, muscle heating and daily stretching exercises the pain is minimal, but movement is limited. Walking is limited to approximately a mile or less per day and standing for long periods is avoided wherever possible (bring a portable chair for long lines and such). If these limitations are pushed, it will only be in the following days where the pain will be considerable.

I wish you all the best and hope you find out that your condition is easily treatable.

Swaggin916 05-12-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkess
I'm not trying to be scary, but I always lean on the side of being well informed.

I have a parent with foot tendonitis which will never go away. It was noticed one day while ice skating and has yet to be cured in over 15 years. Through medical treatment, muscle heating and daily stretching exercises the pain is minimal, but movement is limited. Walking is limited to approximately a mile or less per day and standing for long periods is avoided wherever possible (bring a portable chair for long lines and such). If these limitations are pushed, it will only be in the following days where the pain will be considerable.

I wish you all the best and hope you find out that your condition is easily treatable.

Yea I almost feel like that I am going to be in the same position with my knee... I sure hope not tho cus I will really like my life a lot less.

adizm_55 05-20-2010 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I almost feel like that I am going to be in the same position with my knee... I sure hope not tho cus I will really like my life a lot less.

How long have you had it? I suffered from pattelar tendinitis for two years in high school, in both knees. Braces, ice, heat, ibuprofen, physical therapy, and rest seemed to do nothing for me in the long term. After high school, I probably didn't play serious ball for about 6-7 months, and even after that the games were few and far between. Now, I can play frequently with only slight soreness in my knees after the games and nowhere near the pain I used to experience during games.

I even considered cortisone shots during school for the pain, but I'm glad I let it heal naturally and didn't risk permanent damage from overuse.

Swaggin916 05-20-2010 11:39 PM

It started about 8 months ago last October... but that was only mild soreness after I did my plyo/leg workouts. It got bad enough to where I had to rest in December... and I rested for a about 3 weeks and it mostly went away. I was resting a lot though hardly doing anything because I had hamstring problems too. About 2 months ago hamstrings started feeling much better so started playing bball again with my knee brace. I played a few games of 2 on 2 and the pain came back... then I played like 5 games of 5 on 5 2 weeks in a row and then it was in full swing. It's been terrible for the last 2 months... I can feel it when I am sitting not doing anything.. it's not painful like my hamstring injuries, but it's uncomfortable and my knee feels weird.

I'm guessing it's going to take me another 5 or 6 months to get it recovered... I am only lifting weights now (with stationary dribbling drills a couple times a week to keep my handle up and very light shooting). My days of playing games though are over for a while... sucks balls and I can't fcking stand it, but whatever that's life.

Yea it's obviously better to just let things heal rather than mask the pain. Really sucks that you had it in both tho jeez... having it in one is bad enough. I just hope I can be like you and get back to playing.

adizm_55 05-21-2010 10:48 AM

Yeah don't worry, you'll get back. The pain in mine would get pretty bad even while sitting, especially when my knees where bent like in a car. The main thing to focus on is keeping strain off of your knee for as long as possible and then GRADUALLY adding legs back into your workouts. Slowly strengthening your quads will help a lot.

Swaggin916 05-22-2010 12:34 AM

Yea I'm just doing light weights for now once or twice a week and it seems to be helping. On Thursday I woke up up and it felt better. It's amazing cus it just wasn't making any progress for weeks and yesterday it finally felt like it's starting to heal. I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing and eventually it should be all healed and good to go.