Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How much does your shooting percentage drop? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172695)

shlver 05-03-2010 01:14 AM

How much does your shooting percentage drop?

In game and just practicing. Mine doesn't drop too much because I only shoot open jumpers because of my height. My right and left wing, elbow jumpers are near guaranteed baskets.

DarkSephiroth 05-03-2010 01:38 AM

Re: How much does your shooting percentage drop?

When wide open and just shooting around, I shoot roughly 75-80% from behind the arc. In games, I shoot around 55-60% from behind the arc. So it drops around 20%.
My FT% in game is around 90%, and it's around 95-97% when just practicing. So that drops around 5-7%
I'm not really sure about the midrange, I've never really been able to keep count on 2-pointers because so much of my 2-point baskets are layups, floaters, runners, and the like. When shooting around, I almost never miss mid-range jumpers but I've never really kept count.

devin112 05-03-2010 10:38 AM

my average is no where near ^

don't really know what it is, cept the range varies from shooting like shit to can't miss... I think we're all a little like that right? in league games i hit 3-4 a game shooting a decent clip. like i said, not sure what my average is though, cept the range is pretty wide.

i get my points from 3s, fast breaks, and drives. not much of a mid range.

i'm not a good practice shooter though, i'm better in-game. my shot motion is a lot faster and also my focus is better. i really don't practice game situation shots, i mainly work on mechanics in practice. my shot has a lot of arch and rotation so i work on those things as well as getting rid of bad habits.

Sticks 05-03-2010 10:48 AM

I'm a streaky shooter and that sometimes shows in games. In training though from anywhere inside the arc to the elbow area I shoot about 70%, 80% from inside the elbow and under the board I'm 95% when open.

In games this goes down to about 40% - 50% and 60%. Percentages do take quite a dive. From 3 point range I'd say I'm slightly over 30% in both games and practice. I only take open 3's in game so the percentage doesn't drop that much. I really have to find my range though because it's quite a disparity between my normal shooting.

So all in all I drop about 30% in-games. But all in all I find my shooting percentage to be quite reasonable. Especially for a wing-player.

SourPatchKids 05-03-2010 11:59 AM

My shooting percentage increases.

Fallguy20 05-03-2010 05:32 PM

In game it usually increases because I shoot less in the games. I only take around 5-7 shots on a good day to a tune of 10-14 points with freethrows. In practice I miss alot but I work and getting stuff fixed.

Sakkreth 05-03-2010 05:58 PM

Depends on if i get double teamed or not... mid range game and posting is my strongest sides on offense. Shooting lots of hook(YEAH hooks) shots and fadeaways, i don't really practise on hooks so i don't know my practise %, but in games i am prety efficient if i get hook off (~75%), fadeaways in practise ~70 in game ~60, open mid range jumper is automatic 2points id say 90% atleast, however my 3s isn't that good in game like 40% i think, practise maybe 60%. My height btw is 1.95m (6'4 feet), so no i am not center or even power forward but still posting a lot.

1manfastbreak 05-03-2010 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSephiroth
When wide open and just shooting around, I shoot roughly 75-80% from behind the arc. In games, I shoot around 55-60% from behind the arc. So it drops around 20%.
My FT% in game is around 90%, and it's around 95-97% when just practicing. So that drops around 5-7%
I'm not really sure about the midrange, I've never really been able to keep count on 2-pointers because so much of my 2-point baskets are layups, floaters, runners, and the like. When shooting around, I almost never miss mid-range jumpers but I've never really kept count.

cmon bruh..

devin112 05-03-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

that's great shooting there, i can't get kobe to shoot those numbers in NBA2k10. you're really good, you should play professionally. come to think of it, i think your averages are better then kobe, wade, and lebron's. you should get paid, don't waste your talent in rec leagues.

Swaggin916 05-03-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
cmon bruh..

I believe it. If you saw his highlight you would too. He has a nice shot.

I myself am about 60-70% from behind the arc when practicing. I take 10 shots from each corner, wing, and then from the top of the key and usually average right around 6 or 7 makes (going up as high as hitting all 10 (rare)... but almost never missing more than 5). I am a natural shooter so hitting wide open shots with no pressure is easy for me. When I really focus, I can make almost everything. open 2's are virtually automatic. I regularly hit 7+ shots in a row from 15-18 feet.

In games, from behind the arc I probably shoot around 45-50%. The vast majority of them are wide open so I drop about 20%. If someone is running at me I usually will up fake and then drive... if someone is right up on me then I won't just take a contested 3. I shoot about the same percentage in game (45-50%) when somebody gives me a high screen and my defender goes under it. The whole motion of it feels so natural to me but it's more streaky... Otherwise, I'm no longer a streak shooter. I don't shoot a whole lot of 2's in game but I'd guess I'm probably around 50% on my jumpers... but I don't really know it's just a guess.

I could become a knock down shooter on any team... That would most likely be my role on the team. I'd play really well on a team that plays like the Magic where everyone can shoot but can also put it on the floor and pass/finish at the rim.

DarkSephiroth 05-04-2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devin112
that's great shooting there, i can't get kobe to shoot those numbers in NBA2k10. you're really good, you should play professionally. come to think of it, i think your averages are better then kobe, wade, and lebron's. you should get paid, don't waste your talent in rec leagues.

Shooting 8/10 from 3-point range on average when wide ass open just shooting around isn't some amazing feat. I know a couple other guys I play with that could do it as well. Most of them played professionally though. (In addition, you're probably thinking NBA Range, I'm talking about College 3-pointers. Kobe would hit at least 18/20 from the top of the key when just shooting around.)

I played college ball, and if it weren't for some ligament problems in my ankles, I probably could have played professionally somewhere overseas. A lot of my good friends and teammates have played professionally, some in the NBA as well. Most of them are not any better overall than my top offensive ability. But things happen, it's all good.

Fallguy20 05-04-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
I believe it. If you saw his highlight you would too. He has a nice shot.

I myself am about 60-70% from behind the arc when practicing. I take 10 shots from each corner, wing, and then from the top of the key and usually average right around 6 or 7 makes (going up as high as hitting all 10 (rare)... but almost never missing more than 5). I am a natural shooter so hitting wide open shots with no pressure is easy for me. When I really focus, I can make almost everything. open 2's are virtually automatic. I regularly hit 7+ shots in a row from 15-18 feet.

On a good day then yea, nothing saying you cant do that in practice from behind the arc, but as a career total since you got serious shooting the ball in the past few years or so... no

DarkSephiroth 05-04-2010 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallguy20

On a good day then yea, nothing saying you cant do that in practice from behind the arc, but as a career total since you got serious shooting the ball in the past few years or so... no

You quoted him talking about when he is shooting around. 60+% when shooting around is normal for a high level basketball player with a good stroke. On most of my high level teams, there are at least 3-5 guys that are able to do that. I think the average drop is about 20% from Shooting around to in-game looks from my 19 years of basketball experience... but it depends on the type of shooter you are, and the volume of shots you take.

Shooting 55-60% in League play is great, but I'm really a Natural Point Guard and most of my game centers around penetration. I will pull up and take 3's in transition, on the run, or if someone creates one for me. I'm not elevating over people and shooting tough contested 3-pointers. I shot 50% from behind the Arc in High School, right down the street from Jordan Farmar, same year. I led the conference in both 3pt% and 3 pointers made.... and my stroke is more consistent now than it was before.

Junny 05-04-2010 08:34 AM

My FG% drops for both 2's and 3's. 2's drop from about 70% to about 50%, 3's drop from about 50% to 40%.

My FT% actually goes up in a game. In normal situations, my FT% is 30-40% (I know, it's phucking pathetic). In games though, I have been able to maintain 80-90% (with the exception of 1 season which I'd rather forget). In the most recent season I remember only missing 3 or 4 FT's the whole season. Nobody knows why. All my friends are always so surprised cause they know I'm rubbish at FT's when just shooting around normally. My theory is that during games my body is warmer which contributes to better lift in my shot.

By the way everybody should keep in mind that compared to number of shots you take while just shooting around, the number of shots you take in games might not be statistically significant enough.

Button 05-04-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

BS