Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leg strength (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172959)

NY-Knicks 05-05-2010 09:08 AM

Leg strength

'sup guys?

A couple of months ago I started doing squats and deadlifts after getting some info on this forum. It didn't go like I wanted it to because my legs didn't respond well to doing these exercises. It might have been doing to much, not warming up properly, lack of sleep etc. because my technique was apparently okay. Now I haven't done a good squat in approximately 2 months, have done some but without weights. I saw developments in my vertical jump during the time when I did squats so I am willing to start doing these exercises again. Of course I won't do it too much right now and will definitely take care of my body. But my leg strength right now is not at the level where I want to be before I start squatting and doing deadlifts. Of course I played ball and do some sprinting, but nothing more focused.

So can anyone give me advice on how to strengthen my calves, glutes, knees, ankles, hamstrings etc. etc. before I start because I want perfect balance in my legs.

leg press?
leg curl?
weighted calf raise?
running / jump rope (basic leg strength and durability)?
remember, I am not doing this to increase my vertical ability because I need muscle balance and a good amount of strength in my legs so I can built on that. My vertical can only improve from here on out.

Thanks a lot!

ABPrints 05-05-2010 09:40 AM

Re: Leg strength

I think you may have answered your question on doing too much. SO IMO, less exercises with an added set or so, all done in standing position with free weights (so no machines). There are lots of variations of each movement so you won't get bored.

Squats, calf raises and different jumping activities with allow your legs to get stronger. I run under the "theory" that you are born with what you can do so to say. Training only allows one to get stronger, improve mechanics and lose weight if that is needed. The nervous system is set.

Swaggin916 05-05-2010 01:37 PM

Squats work every part of lower body (the meaty part of the calves being the exception) so if you are looking for balance, it's one of the best exercises you can do. Aside from squats, I would probably just work on Isolating every part of the legs. Right now I'm kind of doing that very thing because so much of my leg strength has been lost... So in addition to box squats and non weighted step ups, I do hamstring curls (which are always a part of my program), leg extensions, the hip abductor and adductor machines, and weighted calf raises. Leg extensions, and the two hip/groin machines are not a part of my program when building for power, but I need to get every part of my legs back up to par again so I'm all balanced when I can get back to lifting for power. I still do squats though, I just don't do as much weight because of my knee... or in your case, just lower the weight for now so you can get yourself all balanced out without having to worry about injury.

If you are looking to build base strength, I would recommend doing about 16-20 sets or so... and 12-15 reps per set... That way the weight won't be too heavy and you can really focus on form and really isolating the muscles.

NY-Knicks 05-05-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Squats work every part of lower body (the meaty part of the calves being the exception) so if you are looking for balance, it's one of the best exercises you can do. Aside from squats, I would probably just work on Isolating every part of the legs. Right now I'm kind of doing that very thing because so much of my leg strength has been lost... So in addition to box squats and non weighted step ups, I do hamstring curls (which are always a part of my program), leg extensions, the hip abductor and adductor machines, and weighted calf raises. Leg extensions, and the two hip/groin machines are not a part of my program when building for power, but I need to get every part of my legs back up to par again so I'm all balanced when I can get back to lifting for power. I still do squats though, I just don't do as much weight because of my knee... or in your case, just lower the weight for now so you can get yourself all balanced out without having to worry about injury.

If you are looking to build base strength, I would recommend doing about 16-20 sets or so... and 12-15 reps per set... That way the weight won't be too heavy and you can really focus on form and really isolating the muscles.

I really want better balance and strength before I start weighted squats again. Just don't feel comfortable doing it right now.

which exercise you mention focuses on what muscle group? And would doing those exercises give me a good base and leg strength?

Hamstring curls - 3 * 12 reps
Leg extension - 3 * 12 reps
Hip abductor - 3 * 12 reps
Adductor machine (don't know what this is)*
Weighted calf raises - 3 * 12 reps
Leg press - 3 * 12 reps
Squats - 3 * 6 reps

how many times a week should I do this?
I will change reps, sets and days every other week.
For how long should I do this; 12 weeks?

ABPrints 05-05-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
I really want better balance and strength before I start weighted squats again. Just don't feel comfortable doing it right now.

which exercise you mention focuses on what muscle group? And would doing those exercises give me a good base and leg strength?

Hamstring curls - 3 * 12 reps
Leg extension - 3 * 12 reps
Hip abductor - 3 * 12 reps
Adductor machine (don't know what this is)*
Weighted calf raises - 3 * 12 reps
Leg press - 3 * 12 reps
Squats - 3 * 6 reps

how many times a week should I do this?
I will change reps, sets and days every other week.
For how long should I do this; 12 weeks?

In sports, there is no such thing as "muscle groups" it is movement based. Unless you have a rehab purpose for things like ham curl machine, leg extension machine, adductor machine, leg press...then if you are having issues, start with two legged movemetns such as squats, deadlifts and lunges in a bodyweight fashion, move to single leg occasionally until you feel your balance is reattained, tehn on to dumbells, barbells, kettlebells, etc.

but to answer your question, extension the front of the leg (quads), curls the back of the leg (hamstring group), adductor/abductor the medial and lateral part of leg (inside and outside of the hip),

NY-Knicks 05-05-2010 03:05 PM

yeah I basically want to get my strength back while also making my knees stronger, which was the part where I had discomfort while doing squats. But since a lot of muscles are connected to your knees in my opinion it seemed important to create a better balance in my legs.

and lunges, are they good for strengthening the knees, or are you putting too much weight on them? And are they beneficial for the vertical jumping ability, acceleration speed?

Fallguy20 05-05-2010 04:58 PM

Im afraid im going to have to tell you to man up and just do squats. Do what any good lifter does and check your ego at the door, go to smaller weights and build your way up. The other stuff (including leg press) is only supplemental.

NY-Knicks 05-05-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallguy20
Im afraid im going to have to tell you to man up and just do squats. Do what any good lifter does and check your ego at the door, go to smaller weights and build your way up. The other stuff (including leg press) is only supplemental.

I sure would if I could bro. But unfortunately my knees don't respond well to weighted squats. I don't mind squatting with less weight, I don't have an ego standing in the way. But squats only train specific areas like the thighs and the hips. The problem is that one of the reasons I couldn't handle the squats is probably muscle imbalance. I need to train my entire lower body and regain my strength before starting all over again with the squats.

I do respect your opinion though, that is why I am asking for advice on this board.

ABPrints 05-05-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

yeah I basically want to get my strength back while also making my knees stronger, which was the part where I had discomfort while doing squats. But since a lot of muscles are connected to your knees in my opinion it seemed important to create a better balance in my legs.

and lunges, are they good for strengthening the knees, or are you putting too much weight on them? And are they beneficial for the vertical jumping ability, acceleration speed?

You can progress from chair squats (squatting down till your butt hits the chair, then standing back up then to regualr bodyweight squats.

There are lots of types of lunges, front, back, lateral, and lots of variations from these. If you are afraid to do them regular at first, I like to lunge to a low step with beginners, this seems to remove the fear, you get a deeper range this way, but takes a little load off the knees.

Fallguy20 05-05-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

I sure would if I could bro. But unfortunately my knees don't respond well to weighted squats. I don't mind squatting with less weight, I don't have an ego standing in the way. But squats only train specific areas like the thighs and the hips. The problem is that one of the reasons I couldn't handle the squats is probably muscle imbalance. I need to train my entire lower body and regain my strength before starting all over again with the squats.

I do respect your opinion though, that is why I am asking for advice on this board.

Even the lighter weights would be a good idea... better yet, take dumbbells at 25 pounds or more in each hand at your side and do a squat. That action will really help you and should take the strain off your back and center the weight in a place that can lend itself to being nicer on your knees.

NY-Knicks 05-05-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallguy20
Even the lighter weights would be a good idea... better yet, take dumbbells at 25 pounds or more in each hand at your side and do a squat. That action will really help you and should take the strain off your back and center the weight in a place that can lend itself to being nicer on your knees.

Yeah I have done that before and I felt more comfortable. I will keep you guys updated on the condition and how the squats are going.
Like you said I won't do more than 25 pounds for maybe the first 2 weeks (will change the amount of reps in the second week).

So how often should I do these squats (reps, sets, days a week)?
And how many days should I work on by basic leg strength (reps, sets, days a week)?

I will do those squats tomorrow in the gym. Will be reporting afterwards.

Swaggin916 05-05-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ABPrints
You can progress from chair squats (squatting down till your butt hits the chair, then standing back up then to regualr bodyweight squats.

There are lots of types of lunges, front, back, lateral, and lots of variations from these. If you are afraid to do them regular at first, I like to lunge to a low step with beginners, this seems to remove the fear, you get a deeper range this way, but takes a little load off the knees.

Yea I would recommend box (or chair) squats to someone who has knee problems. I have knee problems and that's what I do. I was able to go up to 155 yesterday pain free. When you do a squat, make sure you pushing through your heels... that's the way you are supposed to do them anyway, but that really takes the stress of you knees.

Lunges are very hard on the knees don't do em.

ABPrints 05-06-2010 12:20 AM

Good advice on the through the heels on the squat, lots of people try to push through the toes and knees instead of posterior chain.

I wouldn't say lunges are hard on the knees, I would say some people are not made to lunge. Try the reverse, or back lunge, if those hurt then don't do any lunging.

Swaggin916 05-06-2010 01:35 AM

I must be one of those people because dear God did those hurt my knees by the end (I was already having problems though... but the lunging hurt more than anything else). Again tho, pushing up through your heels really makes a difference. I was not doing that at the time... I wasn't focusing on it and I was probably using a lot of my knees and toes.

My body is not built to carry a lot of weight though I don't think... I am down from 195 to about 184 now and I honestly think I need to be at about 175. My body is built to retain heat and pick potatoes... not jump and cut all over the place :lol Maybe at 175 I could do lunges without much of a problem.

It's tough though to lose some of the muscle that I have worked so hard to gain... but I've come to the conclusion that I don't really need as much as I have and honestly I could gain it all back in 6 months to a year if I wanted... so cheers to looking more average lol.

Rolando 05-06-2010 07:50 AM

To strengthen your legs in the most balanced way....do squats.

Just use the bar without any wieghts and work on your technique and do high reps. To give your body the "balance" it needs to start putting wieght on the bar, do alot of core exercises. You need strength in the middle of your body in order to control the power of your legs.

Do sit-ups, leg raises, and planks....lots of planks, like side planks etc. Back extensions too.... Get that core strong and your legs will have something to work with.